GNC Pets Mega Hip & Joint Health for Senior Dogs - Beef Flavor Reviews

GNC Pets Mega Hip & Joint Health for Senior Dogs - Beef Flavor

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

GNC Hip & Joint Health for Older Dogs

Feb 8, 2011 (Updated Feb 8, 2011)

Pros:Good ingredients, contain MSM and vitamin C

Cons:Smelled terrible, my dog refused to eat them, not enough MSM

The Bottom Line: A good choice if your pet will eat them.  They smell pretty offensive, and our dog refused them.

Many years ago our Australian Silky Terrier started having problems with her knee, and was in obvious pain.  I took her to the veterinarian where she was diagnosed with a luxating patella.

A few years later our pet was in more constant pain, and a second trip to the vet wasn't very productive.  Our choices were to do exploratory surgery to "clean up" her knee, put her on prescription pain killers (like Advil for dogs), or fly her to Seattle for an MRI.

We didn't opt for any of those things, instead I decided to try her on something more natural.  I knew that glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM worked well in humans and started shopping for a good formula for dogs that included all of these supplements.

First I tried Synovi G3 Soft Chews, based on the customer feedback at Amazon.com.  Our Silky seemed to take to these okay at first, but by the time the tub was half gone she refused to eat any more of them.

Next I tried a store brand sold at PetCo, but our dog wouldn't eat even one of them.  Luckily the store allowed me to return them for a full refund.

Then our dog groomer told me about a product called NuJoint Plus by NuVet Labs.  Not only did this formula contain both glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM, but it also contained vitamin C.  I take MSM for allergies because it is a natural anti-inflammatory, and I know that it works better when taken with vitamin C.  I was amazed that NuVet Labs included both MSM and vitamin C in their formula.  Our dog, who is a very fussy eater, loves these tablets!  She has been on them for a few years now.

In all honesty, I became tired of giving her a supplement that had to be ordered online.  I could not get NuJoint Plus locally, and it was expensive, retailing for $55.50 for an 180 count bottle, plus $6 for shipping.  The $61.50 was a price I was trying to beat, so I started looking at other products and reading a lot of labels.  That led me to GNC Pets Mega Hip & Joint Health for Senior Dogs, sold at PetSmart.  It came in beef and peanut butter flavor, but we purchased the beef.

All GNC supplements were 20% off with the PetSmart rewards card, which made this product $25 cheaper than the NuJoint Plus.  I had high hopes my dog would eat it.  Each of the GNC Pets Mega Hip & Joint tablets contains 500 mg glucosamine, 100 mg chondroitin, 10 mg MSM, 100 mg vitamin C, 15 mg zinc, 12 IU vitamin E, 5 mg manganese, 2 mg copper, and 1 mg hyaluronic acid.
Inactive ingredients are bacon flavor, beef liver, cellulose, dried whey, hydroxypropylcellulose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, pork liver, silicon dioxide, stearic acid, sucralose.

I liked the ingredients, although the MSM amounts were much lower than the 125 mg in the NuJoint Plus.  Still, I was willing to give it a try.  Unfortunately my dog turned her nose up at the GNC brand.  The tablets were about 3/4" wide and were quite thick.  They were colored light brown and were scored for easy splitting.

The only way we could get our Silky to eat the GNC brand was to crush it and add it to her evening dinner (we only feed her once a day).  Since I like to give her this kind of supplement every morning, that really wasn't an option, (and my husband kept forgetting to add the GNC joint formula to her dinner).  I took it back to PetSmart and they promptly refunded my money.

At the store I asked the PetSmart employee to smell the contents of the container, and she gladly did so.  Her exact words were "ugh, I wouldn't eat that either, it smells awful!".  Then she commented how she couldn't get the awful smell out of her nose.  I totally agree about the scent of this product.  The NuJoint Plus smells like beef bouillon, and since the GNC is supposed to be "beef" flavor, I expected it a similar smell.  It really smelled offensive.

The daily dosage for the GNC Mega Hip & Joint for Senior Dogs is one tablet for dogs weighing up to 10 pounds, two tablets for dogs 11-50 pounds, and four tablets for dogs over 50 pounds.  It is available in 60, 120, 180 or 300 count bottles, as well as an 8 ounce beef flavored liquid.

I think if you can get your dog to eat these pills they would probably be a good choice for a lame pet.  Unfortunately, our dog is very fussy about her foods and treats, and it just wasn't worth the effort, and I didn't like the idea of trying to feed her something she clearly did not like.

Special thanks to Billie (ladysmom), our Lead in Pets, for adding this to the Epinions database for me.

Gnc Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health For All Cats - Fish Flavor 60 Capsule

Gnc Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health For All Cats - Fish Flavor 60 Capsule

FREE SHIPPING!!! Brand new and factory sealed!GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip Joint Health for All Cats - Fish Flavor 60 sprinkle capsules.Life Stage: A- All ...
GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Senior Chewable Tablet

GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Senior Chewable Tablet

Keep your senior dog active and healthy with GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health. The supplements come in sizzling bacon flavor, chewable tablets, ...

Gnc Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Sr. Dogs 240 Beef Tabs Glucosamine 06/16 Exp

Gnc Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health For Senior Dogs (180 Ct) - Beef Flavor

Gnc Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health For Senior Dogs (180 Ct) - Beef Flavor

Life Stage: 3- Senior Dogs These savory beef flavored supplements are from GNC and are factory sealed with the earliest expiration date being June 201...

GNC Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Dog Soft Chew

GNC Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Dog Soft Chew

Delicious soft chew support joint cushioning & mobility 500 mg glucosamine + 400mg chondrotin + 25 mg MSM Supports cartilage & connective tissue ...

Gnc Mega Pets Hip & Joint Health Chewable Tablet For Senior Dogs 180 Tablets

Gnc Mega Pets Hip & Joint Health Chewable Tablet For Senior Dogs 180 Tablets

GNC MEGA Pets Hip Joint Health Chewable Tablet for Senior Dogs 180 Chewable Tablets code 640741 Best By: 07/16

GNC Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Senior Dog Chewable Tablet

Advanced support for jointcushioning & mobility 750 mg glucosamine + 600 mgchondroitin + 500 mg MSM Added omega fatty acids, turmeric& boswellia f...

GNC Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Senior Dog Chewable Tablet

Help your senior dog get back on his or her feet with less joint pain by feeding him or her these effective and tasty chewable supplements. Each table...