-45%

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$8.20 shipping Sears

Inexpensive stereo

Oct 1, 2010

Pros:Inexpensive.  Wall mountable.

Cons:Poor included speakers.  Poor sound (with included speakers).  Cheap feel.

The Bottom Line: This is obviously a lower quality inexpensive stereo.  Not intended for high fidelity. Multiple input jacks are its biggest selling point.

I had bought this little GPX stereo last year, to be used in a bedroom.  What attracted me to it was its flat design.  I could mount it on a wall, thereby taking up no space on my nightstand or dresser.

This GPX unit features a radio and CD player and an aux jack in front for connection of an external source such as a cell phone, Ipod, MP3 player, etc, and also auxillary input jacks in the rear for connection of another source such as a vcr, DVD player, tape deck or whatever.

The multiple input connections of this little unit intrigued me.  I was able to connect my DVD player to it on a permanent basis, plus, plug in my cell phone to listen to music as I wished.  Most little units in this price range have either one or no aux inputs at all.

The CD player has a motorized sliding door which moves up and down.

There is also radio reception.

Included are a pair of stereo speakers, also flat, with a wall mounting option.

Finally, there came a small "credit card" sized remote control.

OVERALL:
The sound quality sucks.  The included speakers are very very poor.  However, when I connected the main unit to a pair of high quality external speakers, the sound was fairly good.  So, if you have a pair of speakers and just want a small main unit, this may be for you.

The motorized door is nice, although as do all motorized doors and trays, they become annoying at times.  You have to always wait for them to open and close.  I'm guessing that over time, there may be functional issues with this type of powered door as well as it must always go up and down every single time you play a CD.

Radio reception was about average.  I live in a fringe area, so my reception is not that great anyway.  This radio's reception was about average when compared to other radios I've tried.

The aux input and front input worked quite well.  DVD playback through this unit, when connected to better quality speakers, was pretty good.  The same held true when playing my cell phone.

The remote control worked ok.

The display was a bit small.  Hard to see it clearly from across the room.

RECOMMENDATION:
I returned mine after a month or so of use.  I kept it that long only because I had the main unit connected to a pair of much better speakers.  Had I been forced to listen to only the included speakers, this stereo wouldn't have lasted a week.

GPX HM3817DT Micro Hi-Fi System - CD Player
GPX Home Music System Gives You Incredible, Seamless Sound The GPX 1 CD Home Music System offers you a Compact Disc Home Music System for seamless, in...

DPI/GPX - HM-3817DTBLK GPX HOME MUSIC SYSTEM BLACK GPX HOME MUSIC SYSTEM BLACK
Home Music System with Auxillary Input
*For A Limited Time* Receive Free Shipping on all products. Please note that Free Shipping has a delivery window of upto 11 Business Days. Ebay may es...
FEATURES DESCRIPTIONS SHIPPING PAYMENT RETURN POLICY GUIDE nbsp Internal Frame Bag Camera Backpack Daypack Camping Equipment Pet Supplies Electronic D...
Product Info About Debnroo S H Info Return Policy Payment Info Contact Info Shipping Holidays FAQs product information Details - Programmable vertical...