G&L L-2500

A secret well kept用ick it up, fall in love

Jun 10, 2004

Pros:Looks, quality, sound, versatility, loads options, parts, humbuckering, bridge

Cons:heavyness, faulty factory knobs, jack-of-all-trades focus, neck balance

The Bottom Line: There's very little sacrifice for the value and overall quality, a genuine keeper.

Foreword

If you’re looking to upgrade in sound quality (from your cheaper debutant bass), now shopping for a relatively affordable performance bass, the Premium 4 and 5 string versions of the Tribute from G&L might just be it.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO BUYERS: if you are planning to, or recently purchased one of the brand new/latest G&L guitars/bass guitars, there has been a product recall for factory problems. Chances are you need to have your retailer store ordering and replacing (at their expense of course) the knobs’ electronics. G&L had many reports of noisy controls when turning volume/treble knobs, those dirty, ropy noises you get on older basses. You should still BUY the bass/guitar, but you should request to have this fixed upfront (at the time I’m writing this), since it may take a while to receive the parts. Be advised.

Now, here’s a little about me: I am not a real musician, rather a musical delinquent, but I worship music and rock’n’roll; I like rhythm guitar and the deep sound of bass. I mostly play by ear or read some tabs. I have had at least 3 electric guitars, 2 acoustic, and one bass in my days.

Shop ‘till you drop: how to find your bass

I used to own a beautiful original 4 string B.C. Rich black (from the 90’s) until I decide to make a gear change for the better. It was perfect for a while, but now I wanted a more distinct, rich and authentic sound, something both heavy and sensible. The plan: sell or trade, but before, I had to find “the one.” So I started shopping. To make a story short, I’ve heard and read that you should try many basses until you find the one that feels great to your own tastes. For a month, I’ve been to a few local music stores; just hanging there, try some basses out (even convinced a guy to buy an ESP bass, which was solid, nice and cheap). With luck, I found a great help in an all-new buying guide magazine: What Guitar?, April 2004, by Future Publishing, UK. This helped me a LOT.

Choose an instrument according to what you plan on doing with it, plus how you physically interact with it, how you feel about it. Do you have large or smaller hands? Are you planning on playing distorted/artificial sounds, deep jazz, funky sounds, classic rock and blues? Try the neck: do you like how it feels or is too smooth/firm? Can you live with a heavy bass or would you rather go for the lighter body? Are you a starter? What is your budget range: 100-300, 300-500, over 500? Remember that price doesn’t mean much—it could be cheap and work like a killer, or vice versa.

The Tribute by G&L, a well-kept secret!

W3: http://www.glguitars.com (by Aria)

G&L stands for founder Leo Fender, well-known pioneer for musical instruments, and George Fullerton (more info on the Web site). It’s “more of a hybrid than a clone,” based on the original model, with genuine G&L equipment.

The (5 strings) L-2500 from year 2003-2004 also comes in the L-2000 (4-string version). Parts are mostly from Korean origins with US parts. The colors come in light, maple-like, beige body, also available with a red, blue or black lateral burst (but mine was the all-beige).

The solid and heavy maple neck with rosewood 21-frets fingerboard (also comes as all-maple board/neck) is solidly attached to the body with 6 bolts. The size of fret cells is rather large, as with the width for the hand. The classic open-back tuners are solid.

The body has a classic naked Fender-like shape with active/passive electronics. There are 3 knobs and 3 switches (with 2 or 3 positions each!), offering an expanded variety of sounds—something that you will surely enjoy. The jack hole is located on the side/edge like most guitars. When I plug the jack/cord, I can feel a light click, indicating it’s well inserted and holding, retaining, that’s nice. Good news: you can use surface OR through-body stringing for a deeper, unmistakable sustain. The bridge is a special, reliable, solid design. Strap pins are well-made, large and solid.

The pickups are two huge, sizzling American Humbuckings (genuine G&L 2-D/Magnetic field design). The sound range is vast and versatile, from hollow jazz vibes to roaring rock clear and heavy sound. It actually sounds so nice that I don’t need my multi-effects pedal most of the time!!!

Overall, playing-wise, it’s a tad heavy, and the neck tip leans down (not fully balanced), for long periods. But for what you get, the cons are forgivable. There’s something about this bass that sets it apart, offering great variety and pure fun.

Voted “What Guitar’s” Best Buy (April 2004)

That’s RIGHT! In a battle against some titans, it was voted the “best for its all-rounder [goodness] and little sacrifice apparent, a great value for your money.” The six 5-string bass round up was featuring a Dean Edge (voted Sound Choice), Fernandes Gravity 5 DLX (also Sound Choice), Godin Freeway 5, Aria IGB-68/5, a Yamaha RBX775 and the G&L Tribute L-2500.

More affordable 5-string bass?

Actually, one of my “second-best” choices was the Cort Curbow 5 string, fret or fretless. This bass (voted one of the Best Buy) is ideal for Jazz players, offering deep and smooth jazzy sound. The body and fret board are made of special alloys, but this products delivers a peculiar flavor and ability. Try it!

Short on money? What could you buy in tight budget

If you are tight on budget, just starting, or any other reason, there are many other interesting buys out there, mostly with 4-strings. You may not get the same sound edge, but you should get exquisite, fine products with the following.

Here’s my personal TOP FOR BUDGET SERIES:

1. OLP – somewhat familiar with the Tribute-type, this would end-up in my top 5 choice for price value and smoothness of the neck on my fingers: like butter on toasts.
2. Three words for you: CHECK the ESP basses! They are solid and inexpensive! Would also be in my top 5!
3. Fender (Jazz, Precision, Squier, Mustang, etc.) and sub-Fender instruments are considered a norm in the industry. They may look/feel plain, but they carry genuine rich classic sound. You got to try one! See if you like the Jazz or Squier maybe?
4. Ibanez offers inexpensive and light basses great for artificial-driven sounds.
5. Some selections of Yamaha great for artificial-driven sounds.

Final words

G&L guitars/basses are a well-kept secret. All and all, my Tribute was more expensive than I first wanted to spend ($1000-$1100 CAD), but it’s a 5 stringer, and I couldn’t settle for other basses. I’m getting the knobs replaced as soon as the parts arrive. This is a premium, solid bass with an amazing, versatile sound. It’s been over a month now, and I just can’t get enough of that smooth “rawkin,” train-piling sound. If you wanted a G&L guitar and are wondering weither you should buy the Tribute L-2000/L25000, I definitely recommend it. GO OUT and buy it!

I put a LOT of efforts to shop before my purchase… and a LOT to WRITE this review. I certainly hope this HELPED you this much. Thanks for reading through and come again.

Gmc G1500 G2500 K1500 K1500 P2500 P R1500 R V1500 V2500 V Clutch Kit

Gmc G1500 G2500 K1500 K1500 P2500 P R1500 R V1500 V2500 V Clutch Kit

Home About Us Payment Shipping Returns Contact Us GMC G1500 G2500 G K1500 K1500 P2500 P R1500 R V1500 V2500 V Clutch Kit Item Description : Item Sells...

1979-1995 GMC G2500 Wheel Lock Set - Replacement

New GMC G2500 Wheel Lock Set. Brand: Replacement. Fits Years: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993...

Dodge Ram 2500 3500 6 Speed G56 Transmission Shifter Boot

Dodge Ram 2500 3500 6 Speed G56 Transmission Shifter Boot

2005-up Dodge Ram 2500 3500 G56 Mercedes 6 Speed Transmission Replacement Shifter Stub Boot.Part # G56-86 Interchange # Dodge 5191985AA Free Lower 48 ...

1983 G25/g2500 Van Driver Left Or Passenger Right Stainless Manual Side Mirror

1983 G25/g2500 Van Driver Left Or Passenger Right Stainless Manual Side Mirror

Application Guide Product Features Image Gallery Company Info Return Policy Shipping Info 1983 G25/G2500 VAN Driver Left or Passenger Right Stainless ...

1979-1995 GMC G2500 Wheel Lock Set - Dorman

1979-1995 GMC G2500 Wheel Lock Set - Dorman

New GMC G2500 Wheel Lock Set. Brand: Dorman. Fits Years: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 199...

Dodge Ram 2500 3500 G56 Mercedes Transmission Mainshaft G56-2

Dodge Ram 2500 3500 G56 Mercedes Transmission Mainshaft G56-2

2005-up Dodge Ram 2500 3500 G56 Mercedes 6 Speed Transmission mainshaft. Fit both 2wd or 4wd Part # G56-2 Interchange # Dodge 5191985AA Lower 48 state...

1979 G25/g2500 Van Driver Left Or Passenger Right Stainless Manual Side Mirror

1979 G25/g2500 Van Driver Left Or Passenger Right Stainless Manual Side Mirror

Application Guide Product Features Image Gallery Company Info Return Policy Shipping Info 1979 G25/G2500 VAN Driver Left or Passenger Right Stainless ...

1980 G25/g2500 Van Driver Left Or Passenger Right Stainless Manual Side Mirror

1980 G25/g2500 Van Driver Left Or Passenger Right Stainless Manual Side Mirror

Application Guide Product Features Image Gallery Company Info Return Policy Shipping Info 1980 G25/G2500 VAN Driver Left or Passenger Right Stainless ...