Garden Treasures 89447L

Finally ... A 4-Way Shepherd’s Hook with Function and Style!

Apr 27, 2009

Pros:quality construction at a bargain price, four sturdy shepherd hooks, great design

Cons:ideally a two-person installation job

The Bottom Line: This is one of the best Shepherd's Hooks I've seen and used.  Excellent value!

I needed a strong shepherd's hook to hold bird feeders.  When I saw this 4-Way Shepherd's Hook, it not only looked strong, but offered me different options for how to use it.

Description

Even though this shepherd's hook looks constructed from wrought iron, it is actually made from black-finished steel.  It stands 7-feet tall and has a fleur-de-lis finial decoration atop it.  Four hooks protrude from the main vertical pole.  Two hooks are set slightly higher than the other two hooks.  The bottom of the main pole is slightly pointed to penetrate the ground.  This shepherd's hook also has an "h"-shaped bracket at the bottom for stability once the shepherd's hook is inserted into the ground.

My Experiences

I like the way the manufacturer packaged this hook.  There are four hooks, one hook on each side of a square-sided vertical pole.  Two of the hooks are welded in place.  The other two hooks are removable and sit in brackets that are welded to the pole.  They are packaged so that all the hooks are in a horizontal line (laying flat).  This makes the entire 4-way Shepherd's Hook more compact.  I actually fit this 7-foot pole into my Toyota Camry.

Once I had the shepherd's hook home, I carried it to the place where I wanted to install it.  The pole was easy to carry.  However, I do recommend this as a two-person installation job.  I started to do this myself, and I didn't have enough hands.

First, I removed the two hooks that were sitting in the brackets.  It took a bit of wiggling, but they came free.  I turned the hook sections so that the hooks were facing out into the yard, and reinserted them into the brackets.  It was simple to do with one person working on the hooks while the other person held the pole steady.

The hard part came when I tried to push the pole into the ground.  Even with the ground slightly damp, and with the pointy end on the bottom of the pole, I could not sink the pole all the way into the earth using arm strength.  My next bright idea was to take a garden stake (about an inch in diameter) and bang it into the hole using a sledge hammer.  Then I re-inserted the 4-way Shepherd's Hook into the hole and pushed down on it.  The pole went further into the ground and just needed a little persuasion with the sledge hammer to set it the rest of the way into the earth.  (Note: I did not directly hit the "h"-shaped bracket with the sledge hammer.  While one person held the pole, I placed a thick protective covering over the "h"-shaped bracket, and then I hit it with the sledge hammer.)

Now that the pole was firmly positioned, I could place the bird feeders on it.  Using two hooks opposite each other (to keep the pole balanced), I placed one feeder on each hook.  I'm using tube-style vertical bird feeders.  Once the weather turns warmer, I'll place hanging flower baskets on the two lower hooks.

I'm very impressed with the sturdiness of this shepherd's hook.  It is incredibly stable.  I have seen squirrels leap from nearby trees to land on the bird feeders (pesky squirrels!), and the pole doesn't bend.

This 4-way Shepherd's Hook also lends elegance to the yard.  The fleur-de-lis finial atop the pole adds the perfect finishing touch to this well-made shepherd's hook.

Purchasing

I bought this shepherd's hook at Lowes for $32.24.

Summary

This 4-Way Shepherd's Hook is working out great!  It is very stable, not bending under the weight hanging from the hooks.  It also looks fantastic, lending an upscale look to the property.  This was a great investment!

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Opus Fortress Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

Droll Yankee Flipper Bird Feeder

Droll Yankee 18" Locking Chain - for bird feeders

Bird Watcher's Digest Magazine

Birds and Blooms Magazine

Bird Illustrations Clipart -- CD & Book

Track Finder: Identifying Wildlife Footprints (book)