Garden Weasel Division of Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Co. Garden Claw Gold Cultivator (91306) Reviews

What Does a City Boy Know Anyway?

Jun 9, 2008 (Updated Jun 9, 2008)

Pros:Easy to use, works well at breaking up clumps in soil

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: What a great Father's Day gift for a gardener dad!

Years before moving to my farm home, I had visions of living on a farm and using a tractor to plow fields, breaking up lumps of dirt, then using a rake attachment for the tractor to rake out all the grass and weeds.....all these visions came from watching too much TV!

Then the enevititable happened. I bought the farm, moved there, bought a tractor with all of the attachments, went to work as I envisioned, and grew a dismal crop of tomatoes that were left to rot because the weeds grew up to high. I wondered what I was doing wrong?

Then, I read some articles on how to grow crops from the Mother Earth News web site. One smart farm suggested NOT to breakup all the soil in the garden. Just breakup enough around the immediate area where your plant is going to be. Cut the grass down low in the other areas, and mulch it down good.

So, back to square one. I am now planting a small crop in my newly fenced in apple orchard. The tool I used to break up the ground this time was nothing more than the Garden Weasel Claw tool. It works great! I simple locate the area I want to put a plant in, press the tool down hard into the soil, and give it a firm twist. The soil breaks up as easy as crushing corn flakes! (Ah, that is, DRY Corn Flakes).

This is such a simple tool, I am surprised I have only recently heard about it. The tool is designed to have heavy metal spikes sift through the soil at a particular angle seemingly calculated for maximum thrust. It is not difficult at all to use even in heavily compacted soils and soils with rocks in them. Everything comes right up!

The tool is constructed of four steel blades attached to a wooden handle with a T bar mounted on top to use to twist with. It breakes up soil in a radius of about eight inches. Once the soil is broken up, you can use a shovel to dig up the soil.

The article I read mentioned not to till all of the soil. It went on to state that there are hundreds of seeds embedded in garden soil just waiting to be loosened up to grow weeds, or whatever plant shed its seed there. By tilling too much soil, you allow air and moisture to reach areas of soil where you would rather not let plants grow (i.e., weeds). By focusing the grow area to the spot specifically where plants will grow, you increase your odds of having healthier plants and allowing nutrients to only get into the soil where you want it to get in.

The jury is still out. So far, so good. My tomatoe plants look fabulous! I just finished staking them up and some have little baby tomatoes already! Yippie! If only I can keep the ground hogs away!

I purchased this tool at Walmart in the garden area. It cost less than $20. I have also used the tool to easily pick out dreaded Autumn Olive bushes that are growing wild in the orchard. I simply put the tool over the small bush and the soil around the roots break up, and I plop out the bush with the roots in tact. Then, I stomp down the soil good to compact it. Makes doing this chore a bit fun!

I would highly recommend this tool to any gardener. It is light weight, inexpensive, and easy to use. I store it in my garden shed when not in use. Now if it could only keep those ground hogs away! Thanks for reading my review and best wishes for a wonderful day!

Mike

Garden Weasel Red Garden Claw

Garden Weasel Red Garden Claw

Garden Weasel 91316 Garden Claw Red
Overstock.com

Garden Weasel Garden Claw in Red 91316

Garden Weasel Garden Claw in Red 91316

Garden Weasel 91316 Garden Claw works hand-in-hand with Garden Weasel to maintain your garden beds all season long. Garden Claw is especially useful ...
Wayfair

Garden Weasel Garden Claw Red

Garden Weasel Garden Claw Red

Works in any soil, no bending or lifting, cultivated soil absorbs water and the Garden Claw can even be used as a compost turner.

Garden Weasel Long Handled Garden Claw 91311

Garden Weasel Long Handled Garden Claw 91311

Garden Weasel 91311 Features: -Garden claw.-Material: Steel.-Cultivates, loosens, aerates and weeds any soil.-Ergonomic handle system.-Spiral turn act...
Wayfair

Garden Weasel GWE91316 Garden Weasel 91316 Garden Claw Red

Garden Weasel GWE91316 Garden Weasel 91316 Garden Claw Red

Use the comfort grip handle for easy spiral turn action.

Garden Weasel Garden Dirt Cultivator Weeding Tool In Box

Garden Weasel Garden Dirt Cultivator Weeding Tool In Box

GARDEN WEASEL Garden Dirt Cultivator Weeding Tool * NIB New In Box Unused Includes weasel, handle and instructions (wooden pole not included)Box about...

Garden Weasel 95006 Weasel Weed Popper Pro (pack Of 1)

Garden Weasel 95006 Weasel Weed Popper Pro (pack Of 1)

NEW Garden Weasel 95006 Weasel Weed Popper Pro (Pack of 1) $40.57 $54.95 Weasel Weed Popper Pro By Garden Weasel Pops out the Toughest Weeds at the Ro...

Garden Weasel 91704 Weeders Edger SKU: ADIB0015EBRJS