Garmin Dakota 10 Handheld GPS Receiver Reviews

Garmin Dakota 10 Handheld GPS Receiver

Free Shipping Newegg.com

Inexpensive, and MEMORY UPGRADABLE

Sep 2, 2004

Pros:Memory chip upgrades, up to 128mb Big screen

Cons:Serial interface, no USB Battery drain during map transfer

The Bottom Line: Appreciate the big viewing area, upgrade the memory to 64mb, and this thing is still a big contender.

I have been using garmin GPS systems for auto navigation since 1996, and that's prior to having maps on the screen. I've had the Garmin emap for almost six years, and it has never once failed me when used in an area with an unobstructed view of the sky. I love the big screen, twice as big as the etrex series. I would only buy an etrex with a smaller screen and no upgradable memory over an emap if I needed a more compact unit.

MORE TO BUY:
Expect to purchase a ~95.00 external antenna that plugs into the small hole in the back of the unit if you want to use it in a car. Reception will be dramatically improved, and reduces battery drain if you aren't plugged in. You'll also want the optional 12v power cord and serial interface combo cable for trips.

MEMORY:
I purchased the 64mb chip that plugs into the slot within the battery compartment. I have more memory in the emap than both my etrex vista and extrex legend color combined. With the new mapsource metroguide CD, I have all of the street detail of washington state, pheonix, and northern illinois in the unit.

PERFORMANCE:
This unit needs an unobstructed view of the sky, or it will fail on you and have to re-acquire satellites.

This unit is comparatively slow in initial satelite acquisition, sometimes taking over a minute.

This unit doesn't have WAAS, so don't expect great results if you geocache with it or need to get more accurate than about a 30 foot circle.

Default units come with 8mb of memory. Upgrade in order to put in a state's worth of detail maps.

Software for emaps are generally incompatible with the newer USB enabled GPS devices from Garmin. Make sure to check Garmin's software compatibility guide prior to ordering or expecting to use older Garmin software.

The default setup has bugs and is missing new features such as 'sticky roads' to show that you are on the road and not meandering along a road line. Make sure you download the latest patches for the device. Garmin still supports the emap, and has many new software features and patches available.

The Garmin Dakota 10 Handheld GPS Receiver comes with a built-in worldwide basemap and touchscreen navigation.
Rugged case, Garmin HotFix, Custom POIs, Automatic routing, Hunt/fish calendar, Geocaching
Part# 010-00781-00 Type Handheld Height 3.9 Width 2.2 Depth 1.3 Weight 5.25 oz. SBAS WAAS Receiver High-sensitivity receiver
Newegg.com

Garmin Dakota 10(010-00781-00)Brand New Includes One Year WarrantyThe Garmin Dakota10 handheld GPS navigation with 2.6 inch color touchscreen. The Dak...
Garmin Dakota 10 with DVD p/n 010-00781-00 Outdoor navigation meets touchscreen simplicity in Dakota 10. This rugged, palm-sized navigator boasts touc...