Garrett Juice Folliar Plant Food

Fertilize Your Foliage "The Natural Way" with Garrett Juice

Apr 3, 2004

Pros:All-natural, non-toxic, versatile, works very well

Cons:Not for use on orchids

The Bottom Line: I've been very impressed with the results we've gotten after using Garrett Juice. It's non-toxic and totally safe for us and our environment.

Last Spring, we got the gardening bug when we decided to put a small ornamental pond in our yard. We also listen intermittently to a weekend talk radio program on organic gardening called The Natural Way with Howard Garrett (more on him later). This program is dedicated to education and tips on organic gardening, landscaping, pest control, soil conservation, etc. After seeing and hearing such positive results and benefits of doing things “the natural way,” we decided to go the organic route with some of our own gardening efforts.

We chose to plant a variety of caladiums, elephant ears, and a few flowering annuals to start. After conditioning our soil and getting everything into the ground and organically fertilized, we turned our attention to the foliage. For this, we chose to use Garden-Ville Garrett Juice.

What is this stuff?

Commercial Garrett Juice is a concentrated mixture of manure-based compost tea, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and dehydrated seaweed – not very pleasant smelling stuff, but not offensive. It is used mainly as an organic foliar feeder that is completely non-toxic – safe for use around kids and critters. It has a very low Nitrogen content, which is much more beneficial to the overall plant, especially the roots. High Nitrogen fertilizers can be destructive to the important fungi on roots. Garrett Juice is ideal fertilizer for vegetables, leafy plants, roses, etc., but it is not recommended for orchids.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Total Nitrogen (N) – 0.2%
Avail. Phosphate (P2O5) – 2.5%
Soluble Potash (K2O) – 1.25%

The concentrate is available in quart, gallon, and even 55 gallon quantities. We started off with a quart last year, and we still have plenty left for this season.

Instructions

Add 2 ounces of concentrated Garrett Juice per one gallon of water. This solution should be applied early in the morning or in the evening – not during the hot part of the day. You may begin applying this foliar feeder when new plants have about 3 or 4 leaves – applying once every couple of weeks for best results, or at least once a month.

Garrett Juice is a simple compound, available in selected nurseries and online at http://www.garden-ville.com/Liquids/Garrett_Juice.htm . So simple, in fact, you can even make it yourself. To make the ready-to-spray solution, add the following ingredients to a gallon of water:

1 cup manure-based compost tea
1 ounce black strap molasses (even plain-jane store-bought molasses will work)
1 ounce natural apple cider vinegar
1 ounce liquid seaweed

Compost tea and liquid seaweed can be purchased at almost any garden center. I’ve even seen them at Wal Mart, Lowe’s, and Home Depot.

Versatility

Garrett Juice is a very versatile fertilizer, which can be mixed with other ingredients for treatment of diseased plants, garden pest and fire ant control, bio-stimulation, and even as a part of sick tree treatment regimens.

For disease and insect control, you can add either a cup of garlic tea, cup garlic/pepper tea, or 1 ounce of orange or citrus oil to your gallon of ready-to-spray solution. For fire ants, add 2 ounces of orange oil (but no more than 2 ounces per gallon). You can even control grasshoppers and locusts by adding cup diatomaceous earth (DE) to a gallon.

Our Experience

We spray all of our plants with Garrett Juice, and have had wonderful results. Our caladiums, for example, grew very quickly. The colors were vibrant, and the overall health of the leaf was just beautiful. We were concerned that the waterproof nature of the elephant ears would prevent the benefits of the foliar feeding, but we found that spraying the underside (where the leaves have more absorption) was the ticket. Those plants produced some of the largest, healthiest leaves I’ve seen in an elephant ear. Now that Spring has come, the elephant ears are beginning to emerge, and we’re almost ready to begin the foliar feedings again. I’m not sure how the caladiums are going to do, as they haven’t sprouted out again yet. I have the Dr. Kevorkian black thumb of death, so I’m not holding my breath. . .

The health of our 13 tiny lemon trees is coming along quite nicely, too – even when it came time to re-pot them. The roots were strong and healthy, and they transplanted well without a loss. I attribute that stroke of good fortune to our organic treatments.

We had some sort of garden critter attacking the leaves of the baby lemon trees. I’m not sure what it was – some sort of worm or bug – never saw the pest, just the damage. The damage looked to be some sort of brown cocoon-like scabbing on the tender leaves. Whatever it was, we added the orange oil into the mixture, and within a month, there were no more signs of pest damage, and the leaves were healthy-looking once again.

As far as fire ant control, it doesn’t do a whole lot for the mounds, but the orange oil kills the free-roaming ants by contact while protecting your plants. Chemical fire ant killers are definitely harmful for plants and other vegetation, plus they are harmful to us and critters. But I must admit, to kill a mound, we still go the chemical route with Bayer Advanced Lawn Fire Ant Killer. The organic methods take too long, and the mounds just seem to move from one spot to another before those treatments have a chance to work. Living in North Texas, we have big problems with these pests, and I can’t afford to have my yard overtaken with them.

We’ve not tried growing vegetables yet, but I believe the same great results could be achieved as with the ornamental plants. The non-toxic and all natural composition of the Garrett Juice and the natural pest control additives would certainly produce a healthier, safer vegetable. Maybe we’ll try that this year – provided we could keep our overgrown poochie from digging it all up. . .

Why go organic?

It’s safer for you and for the environment. Since we’re talking about foliar feeders/fertilizer, I’ll concentrate on those benefits. Garrett Juice is a low-Nitrogen fertilizer. Sure plants need Nitrogen, but the chemical fertilizers that are high in Nitrogen are overkill. Not only can it burn your plants, it is dangerous to the environment, and disrupts the natural Nitrogen cycle. When you fertilize with a high-nitrogen fertilizer, less than half is actually absorbed by the plant. The rest escapes not only into the atmosphere (greenhouse gasses), it leeches into the groundwater because it can't be retained by the soil. It also leaves undesirable salts in the soil, actually shortening the life of your plants. In doing research, I found this case and point: Roses, while using soluble nitrates helps control when they bloom and how long you want the stems to grow, you end up using more pesticides to control all the infestations caused by the excessive growth. It’s a vicious circle that ends up with shortened plant life, bad soil, and disruption of the natural Nitrogen cycle. . . The high-Nitrogen fertilizers will eventually destroy the beneficial microbes in the soil, and nothing will grow in it.

Taking the organic route is somewhat slower, but the benefits of the healthy garden and rich, healthy soil are better for all involved.

So, who’s this Howard Garrett guy anyway?

Paraphrased from his website, www. Dirtdoctor.com

Howard Garrett AKA “The Dirt Doctor” is a landscape architect, ISA certified arborist and horiculturist who has devoted his career to educating the public on organic gardening, farming, and land management. He’s written several books on the subject, writes a weekly newspaper column for the Dallas Morning News, has a weekend radio program, publishes a monthly organic living magazine, and even does a weekly TV segment on a Dallas station. Whew. . . busy and highly respected guy!

If you get the chance, you should visit his web site (dirtdoctor.com). There you will find out even more about Garrett Juice, organic gardening and research, and see the photo galleries of his own amazing gardens. He’s a smart cookie, and his product is A+.

Wind it up already, will ya?

As our gardening efforts expand this year, we will be incorporating even more organic methods and will definitely continue the use of Garrett Juice. We’ve been most pleased with the results, and the fact that it is safe.

My sources of info? Most of this stuff I remember from my college Botany class, but I do want to include some credit and web site references I used during my organic gardening research and the writing of this review that were very helpful for us:

And a great basic organic gardening guide written by Howard Garrett:

Good luck with your gardening efforts, and thanks for the read!

Donna
2004

Hydro Organics 'Earth Juice' Natural Up Plant food, 2 Pounds. (Earth Juice Natural Up, 2 Pounds.)

pH adjusting crystals that will, once and for all, eliminate the hassles and worries of spilling, splashing and dealing with harsh liquid pH adjusters...

Earth Juice Organic Microblast 32oz Fertilizer Micro Nutrients Plant Food

Earth Juice Organic Microblast 32oz Fertilizer Micro Nutrients Plant Food

Earth Juice Organic Microblast 32oz Fertilizer Micro Nutrients Plant Food Earth Juice Microblast contains essential trace minerals plants need. Critic...

Hydro Organics Earth Juice 'Bloom Master 0-50-30' 3-pound Plant Food (Earth Juice Bloom Master 0-50-30, 3 Pound)

Concentrated Water-Soluble Plant Food with marinebird fossilized guano and steamed bone meal. Bloom Master is a concentrated water-soluble bud & bloom...

Earth Juice Grow 1 Quart Qt 32oz Ounce - Hydro Organics Nutrient Plant Food

Earth Juice Grow 1 Quart Qt 32oz Ounce - Hydro Organics Nutrient Plant Food

Item Condition:NEW Earth Juice Grow - Quart / 32 oz LISTING INCLUDES: 1 x Earth Juice Grow Quart / 32oz Use Earth Juice Grow 1 quart nitrogen formulat...

Hydro Organics Earth Juice 'Hi-Brix' 1-quart Grow Plant Food (Earth Juice Hi-Brix Grow Quart)

Hi-Brx Grow & Hi-Brix Bloom are 2 part plant foods for hydroponics and soil. Based on the famous Hi-Brix Molasses for Plants formula, Hi-Brix Grow Par...

Earth Juice Grow 1 Gallon 128oz - Hydro Organics Natural Nutrient Plant Food

Earth Juice Grow 1 Gallon 128oz - Hydro Organics Natural Nutrient Plant Food

Why The Hydro Source? Earth Juice Grow - Gallon Use Earth Juice Grow 1 quart nitrogen formulation for vigorous green growth for your plants. Use it as...

Earth Juice Hi-brix Molasses 1 Gallon Gal - Hydro Organics Nutrients Plant Food

Earth Juice Hi-brix Molasses 1 Gallon Gal - Hydro Organics Nutrients Plant Food

Why The Hydro Source? Earth Juice Hi-Brix Molasses - Gallon This rare and highly prized molasses is a natural source of carbohydrates (sugars) and pla...

Osmocote Outdoor And Indoor Plant Food By The Scotts Co.

Osmocote Outdoor And Indoor Plant Food By The Scotts Co.

3Lb Osmocote Plant Food: Fertilizer Miracle Gro Plant Food Osmocote
Earth Juice Big Bloomin Guano 1 Gallon Gal - Hydro Organics Nutrient Plant Food

Earth Juice Big Bloomin Guano 1 Gallon Gal - Hydro Organics Nutrient Plant Food

Why The Hydro Source? Earth Juice Big Bloomin' Guano - Gallon This natural liquid plant food is clog-resistant, non-burning, odor and dust free, makin...