Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Keyboard Reviews

Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Keyboard

The Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Keyboard solved my HTPC connection problems.

Feb 6, 2012

Pros:2xAAA batteries included, longest range tested so far, sturdy case design

Cons:Somewhat bulky size may detract some.

The Bottom Line: The Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Keyboard is a great tool for turning your laptop or home computer into the true home theatre PC that it wants to be!

A new buzz term among computer system builders is HTPC.  HTPC stands for Home Theatre Personal Computer and represents the use of a computer in conjunction with a high definition television and any audio components that are available.  The Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Keyboard is a highly functional design and is compatible with a wide range computers, laptops and servers.  In this review, we will examine the features of this 2.4Ghz wireless keyboard and touchpad combo to determine whether it is something you should purchase.

Physical Size And Ergonomic Design Of This Wireless Touchpad Keyboard
This Gear Head product has an all black outer plastic shell and rests at a natural angle to aid in typing.  The keyboard and touchpad measure approximately 4.5” wide x 11” long x 3/4” tall when resting on a coffeetable.  The overall size was a problem for me because now I have to hide it when not in use.  The 82 keyboard has large enough buttons to comfortably touchtype and the touchpad is in a logical position for making quick pointer or similar input device style actions in Microsoft Windows.

Operating The Wireless Keyboard
Underneath the keyboard, near the edge at the top, is a removable plastic cover that holds the 2xAAA batteries.  Once you place them inside and flip a small on/off toggle switch the keyboard is ready.  Now, plug the USB Wireless receiver into your computer it is ready to use.

After about two weeks of use and even leaving it switched on for more than 24 hours, the 2xAAA batteries still allow me to use this wireless device without any signal problems.  I use this keyboard to playback movies and listen to digital media on my stereo system while working around my home.  A laptop computer acts as my storage and playback device, while this keyboard is my primary interface.  I enjoy the arrangement because this keyboard has a range of over 20ft even with my Linksys WRT54G router on and other wireless communications going on all around my home.

The touchpad quickly updates my finger movements to the screen of my television, but please note you must make quick movements since the resolution is 1920x1080 and the cursor is so small.

My FAVI Wireless Keyboard RT-MWK01 lost its internal battery but even before that happened; I had difficulty registering my mouse movements from more than 10ft away.  Just to make it work, I had to turn off my wireless network so I was pleased to see that this wireless keyboard does not have the same problems.

Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Keyboard Works With Many Computers
For many years, I have been searching for a reliable wireless keyboard and it seems so far that this Gear Head KB3800TPW touchpad and keyboard are what I needed.  During the normal course of repairing computers and building new ones, I compiled the following list of compatible systems to help you determine whether this 2.4Ghz wireless keyboard can work for your application.  Each of these computers responded quickly to the USB Wireless Mini Receiver and I was able to use the keyboard each time in about 30 seconds.  Sony VAIO VPCYB33KX PC Notebook, ASUS (1005HA-VU1X-BK) Netbook, Sony Vaio Laptop VPCSC31, Asus KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 motherboard.

Conclusion
For $35 at Amazon.com, I bought this wireless keyboard a few weeks ago after watching the complete failure of the FAVI Wireless Keyboard RT-MWK01 on my Sony VAIO Intel i5 HTPC.  This Gear Head product has allowed me to enjoy my home theatre system without having to jump up and control the laptop it is all attached to.  If you are having a similar problem, I highly recommend this product!

Here are some other computer hardware devices that you might need to build a HTPC:
AMD A8-3850 Quad Core 2.9Ghz APU Radeon HD 6550D processor
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1Gb DDR3 Memory Video Card
Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1GB GDDR5 Video Card
ASUS M4A785-M AMD AM3 Motherboard
ASUS P5QL-VM DO/CSM Motherboard

This keyboard features 2.4 GHz Wireless technology which is a short-range communications system intended to replace the cables connecting portable and...
search PN Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Desktop Keyboard - Wireless - RF - USB - 84 Key NEW ITEM FREE SHIPPING Processing packing takes 1-3 Business da...
Welcome to NextWarehouse Store Product Information: GEAR HEAD, Part #: KB3800TPW Gear Head KB3800TPW Wireless Desktop Keyboard - Wireless - RF - USB -...