My experience is good; very different from previous reviewers

Dec 8, 2009

Pros:Easy to install. Works very well . Beautiful design and finish. Lower-than-expected price.

Cons:Switching glass and metal cooking plates inside is a pain, unavoidable.

The Bottom Line: The Advantium 120-volt unit is excellent, beautiful; and will last longer than its $$$ 220-volt cousin.

Let's be clear: I have the GE Advantium model SCA1000HBB 04 manufactured in July 2008. It's black, and also has the product name Profile on the front. It's a 120-volt unit. I designed a teeny tiny new custom kitchen (with all teeny tiny high end appliances) around this appliance, the small Fisher & Paykel dishdrawer, a tiny two-burner Wolf gas cooktop and a tiny SubZero fridge/freezer with built-in icemaker. I looked hard at the high end 220/240 volt GE Advantium model, and was willing to install a dedicated circuit for that very powerful (and power draining) unit, but decided that the 120-volt model would be more reliable in the long run, and wouldn't dim the lights in my apartment when I turned the oven on High. Thus far, I think I made the right decision. I simply do not understand the criticisms that other reviewers make about this product's performance. Word of advice: watch the GE-supplied DVD and read the GE-supplied cooking guide. On the conventional bake settings, my unit reaches 400-425 degrees in less than 10 minutes (same or better than a conventional gas or electric stove) and cooks very well. Critical test: baked chicken properly prepared for the oven does come out crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside. Salmon fillets  bake/get crispy on the bottom very nicely and quickly. And it does brown muffins, cookies, etc. So what's the problem, fellow reviewers? If you want better performance, get the 220 volt Advantium. Just be aware that the only difference between the 220 volt and 120 volt units is the number of amps they draw. Also be aware, higher amperage in such a small unit will create reliability issues over the medium to long term (that's inevitable; heat is the enemy of all electronics; and a a 220-volt convection oven with this small size gets VERY hot inside). I am convinced the 120-volt unit does the same job (it just takes a little longer) and will last much longer than the more expensieve 220-volt unit. When using Speedcook feature on the 120-volt unit, I tend to crank up the power in order to get nice browning on top and bottom. Another trick: when you think the cooking is done, turn off the oven and leave the item in the oven a few extra minutes, because food is cooked rather quickly in this type of oven and needs to "rest" and recover a bit (particularly meat; trust me, roasted meat does not dry out inside this oven ... by waiting a minute or two, you're also letting the super-hot inside of this oven cool down a bit before reaching your hand inside. All in all, just read the GE-supplied documentation, set the unit correctly, keep the door closed until cooking is done, and the temperature inside will remain high. Fan comes on when the heat inside reaches a certain level, but noise is not a problem. And, again, BEWARE: this 120-volt unit will be very hot when you open it up and pull out your freshly cooked food. It's not a toy. I mention this, because the experience of using this product for the first time can be deceptive. It's hotter inside than you may think. The 220-volt version is even more deceptive in this respect. Observation: people call this a "convection oven," but is that really the case? For true convection, the oven should be blowing and circulating a lot more hot air inside than the Advantium does. This is just a passing thought. The 120 volt Advantium does work well, if you know what you're doing. And that's all a customer should expect. Microwave functionality requires no comment; it works fine. Just don't forget to swap the metal and glass cooking plates when you switch from conventional baking/Speedcook to microwave. Final word: this product has a LOT of user controllable functions, which are accessed using the dial on the front. Read the manual and cooking guide. You'll be impressed. Truly final word: if you want to keep the stainless steel interior as-good-as-new clean, wipe the interior with a wet paper towel, and immediately follow up with stainless steel polish. Apply two quarter-sized dabs of polish to your still-wet paper towel and wipe all the SS surfaces inside with the polish. Don't use anything abrasive. Let the stainless steel polish do the job. Wipe out the SS polish before it dries with a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd paper towel. Voila...  One year later, my SS interior still looks as good as new. GE deserves a thumb's up for this product.