Gentle Giants Dog Food Reviews

Gentle Giants Dog Food

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Gentle Giants has the Ingredients for Optimal K9 Health

Sep 1, 2011 (Updated Jan 8, 2014)

Pros:high quality pet food, healthy ingredients, glucosamine, chondroitin

Cons:a few marginal ingredients, can be tough to find

The Bottom Line: Another high quality dog food for all breeds and all stages of life. But make sure your dogs are NOT allergic to the recipe.

Holy dog food, Batman! Wondering why I started this review with that phrase? Simple… Burt Ward, the guy who played Robin on the original Batman TV series, is the force behind this dog food and the large breed rescue of the same name – Gentle Giants.

Well, "The Boy Wonder" is the kind of pet food manufacturer I can get behind. Actor Dick Van Patten is another one – he makes Natural Balance dog food. Gentle Giants is a pet food that I would consider one of the better choices (not the best over all) when it comes to pet nutrition. Read the list of ingredients. Other than the use of potassium chloride, this food is just packed with healthy nutrition and healthy supplements. They manufacture dog treats as well.

Aimed at larger breeds, Gentle Giants is a no-kill rescue. At any given time, he shares his home with a multitude of large dogs. Many of which live very long lives… and for larger breeds that’s even more impressive. Great Danes usually don’t live sixteen years – his Danes live even longer. Why? He attributes the dog’s longevity to his healthy dog food recipes – both in his dog food and treats. Currently, Gentle Giants dog food only comes in two recipes; chicken and meat- based formulas. The upside is that Gentle Giants is an all-stage all-breed food. That cuts down on cost when you’ve got multiple dogs of different ages in one home.

So there I was, looking for another small bag of decent dog food before I could get out to Costco to get our usual Kirkland (Diamond) dog food. I found myself at my local Stater Brothers grocery store – knowing I’d have to choose a garbage brand for the time being. Well, I spied this bag of dog food that stood out from the rest. Probably because it was a busy bag with lots to read on a bright white bag with letters that resembled the Walt Disney font. The bag is packed with pictures of dogs who’ve been placed with loving families and dogs up for adoption. Good for him! His undeniable work with animals is to be commended.

After reading the extensive ingredient list, I purchased a 17.5 pound bag for $18.99 and hoped for the best. I know that’s a bit pricey, but I didn’t want to waste money on the garbage dog food brands that the grocery stores usually sell. My animals deserve better than that. NOTE:  The 33 pound bag runs $33.99.

Over the years I have educated myself with reading pet food labels. Most people just buy what’s cheap – after all, they’re only dogs – right? Well, that kind of thinking leads me to one conclusion; anyone who subscribes to this theory should not care for animals – ever! I mean, would you feed your human children below-par fast food all the time? Certainly not. My furry children deserve better for the unconditional love that they give me. All three of my German Shepherds ate all of their food and didn’t leave any scraps for later – like they usually do. So if they like the healthier food, all the better for all of us.

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken meal, pearled barley, brown rice, oatmeal, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flax seeds, poultry liver flavors, fish meal, dried egg product, brewers yeast, salt, potassium chloride, dried kelp, vegetable pomace (dried carrots, dried celery, dried beets, dried parsley, dried lettuce, dried watercress, dried spinach), dried saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation soluble, dried sweet potatoes, dried peas, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, dried apples, taurine, yucca schidigera extract, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried seaweed meal, mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract, ascorbic acid, chondroitin sulfate, beta-carotene, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, vitamin E supplement, niacinamide, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, manganous oxide, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium biodihydrolodide, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, cobalt carbonate and enterococcus faecium.

Dried Beet Pulp is like sugar to dogs. It can lead to hyperactivity and Diabetes. Brewer's Yeast (and rice) can lead to intestinal issues. Salt is not needed in a dog's diet.

GUARANTEE ANALYSIS:
Crude protein: 22% (min)
Crude fat: 9% (min)
Crude fiber: 4% (max)
Moisture: 10% (max)
Vitamin E: 250 IU/kg (min)
Vitamin C: 60mg/kg (min)
Omega-6 Fatty Acids: 1.25% (min)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids: .5% (min)
Glucosamine: 600 mg/kg (min)
Chondroitin: 300 mg/kg (min)

Final Words:
My three German Shepherds were really scratching themselves because of the “bargain” brand food that my wife impulse-bought - BUT the odd thing that the scratching continued with the two males (not our female) after we started on Gentle Giants. To that end, I would suggest buying a smaller bag and seeing if your dogs are allergic to the recipe.

UPDATE: Since I originally wrote this review, our dogs (different from the three we had when I wrote this review) are eating this kibble with NO side-effects - like scratching.

The bag states that your pets will live longer lives. I’m so glad that dog food manufacturers are finally realizing that people have educated themselves about the quality of their pet’s food versus their lifespan. If only the larger pet food companies would stop making such sub-par foods for our pets because it’s really poisoning them and the real reason dogs live such short lives.

Please read the food labels on pet foods and treats. You’d be amazed by what some companies try to sneak by us. Please DO NOT let price alone to be the determining factor of what brand you feed your animals.

I would definitely recommend Gentle Giants dog food to ANY dog guardian - that is if your animals aren't allergic to it. This is a top tier food though so buy accordingly. While I don’t think Gentle Giants is the benchmark of dry kibble, it is one of the better options.

Try a taste test. Try offering small bowls of your current food, Gentle Giants, Taste of the Wild, Kirkland's Ultra Premium, Arcana, Wellness, Earthborn, Nature's Domain, Evolve and Natural Balance. See which one your dog prefers.

Often, pet stores give away samples of their foods for just this very reason. If that doesn't pan out, email those companies and ask for samples. I recommend this dog food and rate it 4.75 stars due to the use of potassium chloride.  I just wish it was further down on the ingredient list.

Enjoy your pets and treat them like your children – not a burden. Cherish them and show them affection each and every day. You never know when their time on Earth is up.

* * Thanks to Ladysmom (Billie) for adding this to the EpiDatabase.

PLEASE READ MY OTHER HIGHER-QUALITY DOG FOOD REVIEWS:

Natural Balance

Taste of the Wild

Kirkland Ultra Premium

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain with Red Meat Large Breed Dog Food, 22-lb bag

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 22-lb bag; Even the gentle giants have a big appetite...
Chewy.com

Iams Active Maturity Dog Food

Iams Active Maturity Dog Food

Good for life.Active Maturity Formula for dogs seven years and older or giant breed dogs five years and older.Iams knows you want to share a long life...

Blue Buffalo Large Breed Fish & Oatmeal Adult Dry Dog Food

Blue Buffalo Large Breed Fish & Oatmeal Adult Dry Dog Food

Blue Buffalo Large Breed Fish & Oatmeal Adult Dry Dog Food - Adult Dog Food & Large Breed Dog FoodBig dogs have lots of love to give. Return that love...
Petco

Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Adult Dog Food,. 17.5 lbs.

Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Adult Dog Food,. 17.5 lbs.

Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Adult Dog Food - Large Breed Dog FoodYour large dog has special nutritional needs that are different from those of sma...
Petco

Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Adult Dog Food, 38.5 lbs.

Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Adult Dog Food, 38.5 lbs.

Royal Canin Giant Puppy Dry Dog Food

Don't let your darling pup's size fool you. Royal Canin Giant Puppy Dry Dog Food provides the nutritional pampering your pet needs. Largeframe bodies ...
PetFoodDirect
Royal Canin - Giant Adult Dry Dog Food, Dog

Royal Canin - Giant Adult Dry Dog Food, Dog

* For Giant breed adult dogs over 18-24 months old ( over 100 lbs) Glucosamine and chondroitin to support the joints of a giant breed adult dog
PetFlow

Royal Canin Giant Puppy Dry Dog Food

Royal Canin Giant Puppy Dry Dog Food offers bigtime nutrition. Knowing that your puppy is soon going to be a giant means you need to give him/her the ...
Pet360.com

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Large Breed Adult Dog Food, 22 lbs.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Large Breed Adult Dog Food - Large Breed Dog Food & Dry Dog FoodLarge dogs have special di...