Gia Russa Marinara Sauce Reviews

Gia Russa Marinara Sauce

ratings (1 Epinions review)

What Pasta Sauce Should Really Taste Like

Feb 13, 2008

Pros:Finest ingredients, perfectly balanced, very tasty sauce.

Cons:Pricey.

The Bottom Line: Truly a restaurant-quality sauce.

So I have this thing about pasta sauce. Having grown up in Rhode Island, dining in real Italian restaurants and at the homes of Italian friends, I was exposed to what real sauces (a lot of the Italians I knew called them gravies) can taste like. And friends, most of the pseudo sauces sold by the major processed food manufacturers just ain’t it. Overly sweetened with high fructose corn syrup like just about everything else in the American diet, they just can’t compare to a real sauce.

Therefore, I eschew Ragu. Prego? No way-go. And you’d really have to hunt to find Hunts in my closet. Sometimes I make my own, but I’ll buy a really good sauce when I can find one. As with anything else in life, though, if you want the best, you have to pay for it. And that’s what we found out when we tried a jar of Gia Russa Marinara Sauce.

Gia Russa Marinara sauce is made with hand selected, 100% imported Italian plum tomatoes. It’s delicately seasoned with olive oil, hand chopped parsley, basil, and minced garlic and onion. No pastes or purees are used here, just whole red ripe tomatoes, chunks of which abound in this very tasty sauce.

The sauce is bursting with fresh tomato flavor, but the tangy acidic quality of the tomatoes is allowed to balance, so there isn’t a lot of sweetness. And the spices accent wonderfully, but don’t disguise or dominate. Everything is in balance. There are just 4 grams of sugar per serving, too, a really big bonus indeed.

Gia Russa Marinara can be bought at a number of online gourmet shops, and at may be available at your local supermarket, too. The normal price at Publix here in Atlanta is $5.99 for a 24 ounce jar, which should be enough for one meal for a family of four. That is a bit pricey, and it can cost even more online. We picked up several jars, however, when Publix offered it as a BOGO (Buy One, Get One Free) special. At that price ($3 a jar), this sauce is a steal.

Do yourself a favor and see how good a simple dish of al dente pasta with a good sauce can be. A jar of Gia Russa Marinara is all it takes. And that’s worth a measly six bucks any day of the week.

Gia Russa Marinara Sauce

Imported Italian plum tomatoes, imported Italian olive oil, fresh onions, fresh garlic, fresh basil, fresh parsley, salt, spices

Gia Russa Hot Sicilian Pasta Sauce

Gia Russa Hot Sicilian Pasta Sauce

Imported Italian plum tomatoes, imported Italian olive oil, fresh onions, fresh garlic, fresh basil salt, spices

Gia Russa Tomato And Basil Pasta Sauce

Gia Russa Tomato And Basil Pasta Sauce

Imported Italian plum tomatoes, imported Italian olive oil, fresh onions, fresh garlic, fresh basil, salt, spices

Gia Russa Puttanesca Pasta Sauce

Gia Russa Puttanesca Pasta Sauce

Imported Italian plum tomatoes, imported Italian olive oil, fresh onions, capers, pitted kalamata olives, pitted green olives, anchovies, salt, spices...

Gia Russa Cherry Tomato Pasta Sauce

Gia Russa Cherry Tomato Pasta Sauce

Imported Italian cherry tomatoes, San Marzano tomatoes, Imported Italian olive oil, salt, spices, fresh garlic, fresh basil