Recommend this product?
It had to happen. Its one of the unwritten laws of nature. After buying a package of fancy, very promising nozzles from BJs, I was anxious to give them a shot. I screwed on a new nozzle and with excited anticipation turned on the spigot expecting to witness unprecedented torrents of water gushing out into infinity. Instead I was showered upon with a fountain of water spouting from the hose reels leader hose. Bummer!
I knew that a green plastic Gilmour hose mender was resting on a shelf in the basement gathering dust. Not satisfied with a ready fix, I decided on a trip to Ace for a look around. (any excuse for a hardware store run). I settled on a metal mender to see if it would be easier to install than the Gilmour. It was actually easier to slip the tapered metal ends into the two hose ends, no softening of the hose necessary. Then I used a pair of pliers to squeeze and tighten the metal tabs or flanges all around. It seemed like a secure, tight fit. Yet when the hose was turned on, I was treated to still another fountainous shower. Time for another dry shirt and the Gilmour hose mender.
Ive successfully used these plastic gizmos many times in the past and should have stuck with the tried and true. The metal hose mender was impossible to remove so I cut it off with my utility knife making clean, straight cuts. Luckily its a long leader hose making the extra cuts insignificant.
To install the Gilmour hose mender I used a Philips screwdriver to remove the two sets of plastic clamps on each end of the mender. After removing the screw/bolts, the next step was to insert the tapered ends of the hose mender into the two pieces of hose. This hose mender repairs 5/8 and ¾ diameter hoses. My hose is 5/8 so it was tight fit.
To make insertion easier I softened the hose ends by soaking them in a jar of hot water. Lubricating the ends with soap also makes insertion easier. (For some strange reason my mind is wandering to other thoughts at this time.) Back to the hose mender review.
It took a little exertion, but I worked the mender into the hose ends for a nice, snug fit. Next I screwed on the pairs of plastic clamps on each end of the mend. Again it took a little exertion to screw the clamps on tightly.
The Moment of Truth
I turned on the water again with a mixture of dread and anticipation. No leak whatsoever! Not even a drop! Not counting my failed fix, installation was less than ten minutes and saved me the cost of buying a new leader hose.
Gilmour hose menders work well and are even guaranteed. On the package back is this promise. If a Gilmour product does not give the user complete satisfaction, it will be replaced free of charge. Try a Gilmour hose mender the next time you suffer a leak. Its much less expensive than a new hose. If done correctly, the fix may outlast the repaired hose.
ADDENDUM A few days after installing the hose mender and before posting this review there was another geyser coming from the leader hose. My first thought was that the Gilmour had failed. No chance. The leader hose had developed another crack. I replaced the failed leader hose and will remove the hose mender to use for a future leak. As for the failed leader hose I may wear that leader hosen around my neck the next time I visit the Biergarten.
Read all comments (3)