Giovanni Marquez Shampoo Brunette 8.5 oz. Reviews

Giovanni Marquez Shampoo Brunette 8.5 oz.

Review of: Giovanni Colorflage Brazenly Brunnette Shampoo

May 12, 2010 (Updated May 13, 2010)

Pros:It does give brown hair some nice highlights -seems to preserve color.

Cons:The main ingredients, found at the beginning of the list are not natural nor organic.

The Bottom Line:

Shampoo imparts amazing highlights.  Hair looks luminous and wonderful. However, product is not entirely organic; contains questionnable ingredients.

For about three years, I have been using Giovanni organic shampoos, and I have been truly happy with the products made by a company that seems to care for the environment.  Mostly I will purchase my shampoos and other Giovanni hair products at Whole Foods supermarket in Houston.  Perhaps the Giovanni Colorflage line is not new to the Giovanni family, but I only travel to the US once a year, and recently I found Giovanni Brazenly Brunette ColorflageTM shampoo and conditioner.  Whole Foods has a policy of not carrying products that do not meet the natural or organic requirements, and being a regular user of several Giovanni products, I grabbed a bottle without reading the label.  Something that one should always, always do!

A word about commonly used ingredients in most shampoos in the market.

As mentioned before, the Giovanni shampoos and conditioners I normally use are fantastic and entirely organic (Giovanni 50-50 Balanced Shampoo) and (Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo), which I highly recommend  . Most shampoos on the market, regardless of price contain harmful ingredients that may be carcinogenic or allergenic which are absorbed via our scalps. You'll find that the above shampoos do not have such ingredients.

A consumer should always read the list of ingredients.  Most popular shampoos show that the first ingredient is water, which is fine, but usually the second or third ingredient is typically a petroleum-based ingredient called "sodium laureth sulfate" and "cocamide DEA" which are very harsh detergents known to irritate the eyes and skin. Not only do these chemical hurt our eyes and skin, over time they may damage the hair follicles, and also enter our bodies via the scalp.

The amount of these chemicals in most products is determined by their position on the list of ingredients, thus, for example, if Sodium Laureth Sulfate is the second ingredient, the product contains more than 20%.   It pays to read the list of ingredients on the back of the bottle: the more difficult to pronounce the name of the ingredient, the less natural it is.

Giovanni Brazenly Brunette Colorflage Product Claims

~ Embellishes brunette hair with a coffee and goji berry blend.

~ Protects chemically enhanced hair color

~ Contains an antioxidant-powered UV fade-resistant system (but does not contain sun-protection).

~ Enriched with certified organic botanicals

~ No animal by-products - Cruelty free

~ Contains no laurel/laureth sulfates, but contains other unpronounceable items... see the list of ingredients below.

Ingredients....

Do you know what you're washing your hair with? I've looked up each item, so you'll know what each ingredient is:

Aqua (purified water), sodium cocoyl isethionate (a synthetic, surfactant derived from coconut oil), cocamidopropyl betaine (fatty acid derived from coconut oil), cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine (surfactant made from coconut oil), acrylates copolymer (synthetic polymer used as humidity protection), gluconolactone (an acidifier used for pickling and curing meats? what?), aminomethyl propanol (alcohol based - in hair coloring products), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate (a fatty acid), panthenol (a B-vitamin), sodium chloride (salt), glycerin (a natural fat or oil), glycol distearate (stearic acid, a wax used for making candles, etc.), sodium benzoate (a salt used as a preservative), amodimethicone (silicon-based hair condioner), hydroxyethylcellulose (a geling agent), annatto (a natural thickener agent), trisodium ethylenediamine disuccinate (a biodagradable water softener), caramel (used as a natural coloring agent), cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride (sunscreen),

Below are the organic ingredients found in this shampoo.  *Asterisks indicates ingredient is certified organic by guaranteed Organic Certification Agency.

curcuma longa (turmeric) root extract, crocus sativus flower extract, achillea millefolium extract, althea officinalis root extract, betula alba extract, *coffea arabica (coffee) leaf extract, *equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract, *lycium barbarum (goji) fruit extract, fragrance (includes essential oils).

My Personal Experience

I color my hair with 100% pure Henna, and while it is a natural product, it is a hair color, and as such, I must treat my hair with care to maintain the color integrity of the henna.

I have been using this shampoo for a few weeks, and in fact, yesterday I noticed I have some really cool bronze tones in my henna-colored hair.  At first I thought perhaps I needed to treat my hair again with henna, but realizing it wasn't time to do so, the highlights can only be attributed to the Brazenly Brunette ColorflageTM Shampoo.

While I'm very pleased with the results, but I'm highly disappointed that this Giovanni formula is not entirely organic and the list of ingredients above show many unpronounceable ingredients in the top tier.  Many of these ingredients are mild surfactants derived from coconut oil, but a couple of other ingredients, in some countries, such as Japan and Canada, are not permitted for use in the cosmetic industry.

The italicized ingredients above are certified organic ingredients, but they are in the lower range of ingredients, which indicate the are in much lower percentages compared to the first ingredients.

Directions

Massage into wet hair, leave on for 2 minutes, rinse.

Final Thoughts

Unlike most Giovanni shampoos which are lightly scented, the Giovanni Brazenly Brunette ColorflageTM Shampoo contains an alluring fragrance, but the pretty fragrance does not linger in my hair after it has dried.

This shampoo produces a rich lather, which indicates a high amount of detergents and surfactants.  The true organic Giovanni shampoos are extremely low-suds.

The price is competitive with other Giovanni shampoos and other premium shampoos out there.  I do have to say, however, that I love those highlights in my dark brown hair.  My hair does look shiny, without a hint of dryness, even if used frequently.

My scalp has not developed an irritation and has remained calm; this is something I have to be careful of when using more popular shampoos  (regardless of price) containing sulfate and DEA ingredients, which cause my scalp to become very irritated.

I'm very torn about this shampoo, I love the way my hair looks, but more than likely, those beautiful highlights are produced by one or two of those unpronounceable ingredients.  While no sulfates and no animal products are used, this is not an entirely natural or organic product, if this matters to you.

The good thing about reviewing a product is that it pushes me to really analyze what's in it.  I was not pleased with my findings, and in fact, I'm deeply disappointed that Giovanni would make a product that is has questionnable ingredients.

Conclusion

My personal decision is not to purchase this product again given some of the ingredients, but now that you know what's in it, you decide.

Curious about Giovanni products?

Take a look at www.giovannicosmetics.com

Giovanni: Natural Mousse (Air-turbo Charged), 7 oz

Giovanni: Natural Mousse (Air-turbo Charged), 7 oz

Giovanni Mousse Air Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam. Your style just got better, easier. Bigger, With Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged, you can take y...
Giovanni Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam 7 fl oz Mousse

Giovanni Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam 7 fl oz Mousse

Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam 7 fl oz Mousse - Your style just got better, easier and bigger. With Giovanni Natural Mousse Air-Tu...
Swanson Health Products

Giovanni Cosmetics Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam 7 fl. oz

Giovanni Cosmetics Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam 7 fl. oz

Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam 7 fl. oz. Natural Mousse Air-turbo Charged hair Styling Foam with Eco Chic Technology*Product Highlights:1. Builds ha...
PureFormulas.com

Giovanni - Shampoo Colorflage Daily Color Defense Brazenly Brunette - 8.5 oz.

Giovanni - Shampoo Colorflage Daily Color Defense Brazenly Brunette - 8.5 oz.

Giovanni Organic Hair Care Colorflage Shampoo Brazenly Brunette 8.5oz. (250 ml) Giovanni Organic Hair Care Colorflage Shampoo Brazenly Brunette is a d...
LuckyVitamin.com

Giovanni - Shampoo Colorflage Daily Color Defense Brazenly Brunette - 8.5 Oz.

Giovanni - Shampoo Colorflage Daily Color Defense Brazenly Brunette - 8.5 Oz.

Giovanni, Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam 7 oz

Giovanni, Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam 7 oz

PureOrganic Technology Medium to Firm HoldOrganic infusion texturizes while adding body and volume to hairOrganic Hair CareNatural Mousse Air-Turbo Ch...
Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged, 7 oz. From Giovanni

Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged, 7 oz. From Giovanni

Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged 7 oz. From Giovanni
Giovanni Natural Mousse 7oz

Giovanni Natural Mousse 7oz

Eco chic hair care. Hair styling foam. Eco Chic Technology. Natural infusion texturizers while adding body and volume to hair. Eco Chic Technology. Bu...
Giovanni - Natural Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam Medium To Firm Hold - 7 oz.

Giovanni - Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam - 7 oz. (207 mL) Giovanni Mousse Air Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam.  Your style just got bette...
LuckyVitamin.com

Giovanni Invigorating Shampoo, Tea Tree Triple Treat, 8.5-ounce Bottles (pack Of

Giovanni Invigorating Shampoo, Tea Tree Triple Treat, 8.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of , New, Free Shipping Enriched with certified organic botanicals. No a...