Gorton's Garlic and Herb Breaded Fish Fillets Reviews

Gorton's Garlic and Herb Breaded Fish Fillets

ratings (1 Epinions review)

No beef! No pork! How about some zesty tasting fish fillets?

Sep 22, 2012

Pros:Affordable.  Tasty.  Easy to prepare.  Crunchy if prepared properly.

Cons:Not sold in resealable bag.

The Bottom Line: Craving fish but don't feel like getting out the rod and reel?  Well, trust the Gorton's fisherman.  He'll bring the catch of the day right to you!

I was a vegetarian for 12 years and it was no problem for me not to eat any kind of meat.  But with the medical conditions I have my doctor was very adamant about re-introducing meat to my diet to boost my protein levels.  I started by eating chicken 2 or 3 times a week.  Then one day at a cookout I indulged in a nice juicy hotdog and later added hamburgers to my diet.  I was mindful to not eat beef or pork more than twice a week if I even ate it at all.  While hospitalized my doctor told me that I needed to quit eating beef and pork because my body doesn't have the ability to digest animal fat byproducts.

I could go the vegetarian route again with no problem but she said no.  She wanted me to keep chicken in my diet and if possible try to add fish.  What!  I have never really liked fish unless you count those little fish sticks that fish lovers say are fake.  And I am allergic to seafood and shellfish. While shopping yesterday I decided to check out the "fake" fish.  I came across some of the Gorton's products and they looked really good.  Now I know that Gorton's is not in the fake fish category because they aren't using minced meat.  In the past I have been able to eat fish sticks if I had plenty of tartar sauce and if they had a crunchy batter.  My daddy said it was because I was getting more breading than fish but oh well, wasn't I getting some fish in my system?

So, I browsed all the Gorton's fish products and then I called my daddy to see what he thought the Captain's Catch sandwich at Capt. D's was made of because I really liked that.  He said most likely it was flounder.  He suggested I go after a flounder with breading.  My mother doesn't like fish either but since he began cooking for her he has introduced some of the Gorton's products into her diet too and he said that as long as there is a lot of breading she does okay.  So, I continued my quest for a healthy food and found it.  Gorton's Garlic and Herb Breaded Fish Fillets

For $3.66 at Wal-Mart I got 6 crunchy breaded fish fillets.  They look very appetizing on the box.  When you look at that crunchy breading with the garlic and herb seasoning you can almost taste it in your mouth.  And every purchase of this product supports Breast Cancer Awareness Programs.  Gorton's has been in business since 1849 so there must be a reason why they have been around for over 150 years.

I decided to try the Gorton's Garlic & Herb Fish.  When you open the box you get a slight whiff of something that smells delicious or at least has the potential to taste good.  It's not a strong and overpowering aroma like you would get with most garlic products.  I am always counting calories and watching what I eat so of course I look at the nutrition panel and serving size.

INGREDIENTS: ALASKA POLLOCK, ENRICHED BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR (FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), VEGETABLE OIL (COTTONSEED AND/OR SOYBEAN), WATER, LESS THAN 2% OF: SUGAR, YELLOW CORN FLOUR, RICE FLOUR, SALT, SPICES, LACTOSE, CULTURED BUTTERMILK, WHEY, MALTODEXTRIN,  GARLIC POWDER, BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), YEAST, ONION POWDER, NONFAT MILK, DEXTROSE, PARSLEY, CITRIC ACID, VINEGAR, WHEAT FLOUR, LACTIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORING,  POTASSIUM AND SODIUM PYROPHOSPHATES AND SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE (TO RETAIN FISH MOISTURE), TBHQ (TO PROTECT FLAVOR).

Allergy Warning: Contains POLLOCK, WHEAT, MILK.

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 2 fillets (104g)
Calories: 240  Calories from Fat 120
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 9g
Calcium: 2%
Iron 2%
*Not a significant source of dietary fiber, Vitamin A or Vitamin C.

With the above in mind I put two fillets in the toaster oven.  This is a convection oven so I believe that it can be used similar to the conventional oven.

I merely followed the cooking directions for the conventional oven and did the same with the toaster/convection oven.

Move oven rack to middle of oven (I placed the rack on the bottom of two positions).

Heat oven to 425º F.  Arrange frozen fillets in a shallow metal baking pan, leaving space between fillets.  (I covered the baking pan provided with the oven with aluminum foil and then placed my 2 fillets on it).
Bake uncovered 18 to 20 minutes, or until coating is golden brown and crunchy.

Turn fillets over after 12 minutes of cooking.

MICROWAVING IS NOT RECOMMENDED.  I wouldn't think so because then you would lose the crunchy appeal.

Once I got the fillets baking I left the kitchen.  I came to the study and played on the computer.  Within about 5-8 minutes I started to get a slight hint of the aroma.  I walked into the kitchen and the closer I got to the counter where the toaster oven was sitting the better it smelled and I could hear the fillets beginning to sizzle.  When I opened the door to turn them over the smell was breathtaking!  I couldn't believe I was actually enjoying this!  I let them finish cooking and then I placed them on a plate.

I cut one bite to see how it tasted before I even doused it with tartar sauce.  Hmm...it was pretty good but I would not be able to eat them both without tartar sauce.  I squirted tartar sauce on the side of the plate to dip them in.  My first reaction was that the breading was very crunchy but the inside was too mushy for me.  Uh oh, here we go!

Girl in Bubble Alert: I can't stand the feel of weird things in my mouth.  I wondered why the meat wasn't more solid.  I began reading the box and much to my chagrin on the warning label for allergies was this: Contains Pollock, Wheat and Milk!  I don't know what the heck Pollock is but I do know it isn't flounder!  Flounder has more of a solid appeal.

Okay, so I didn't lose my belly and I was able to eat both of the fillets.  This product has a really good shelf life.  The package said, "Best if used by July 2013."  So I will finish the other 4 at some point.  I will probably continue to buy it because I like the garlic and herb flavor.  However, I have also discovered Mrs. Paul’s Crunchy fishsticks and popcorn fish, which I prefer over Gorton’s.

I only have one complaint about Gorton's.  Why don't they put their fillets in resealable bags to ensure freshness?  Do they expect someone to use all 6 fillets at the same time?  I put mine in a Reynold's HandiVac bag and made it airtight!  The fish is already dead so I'm sure it won't mind that I didn't leave it any air!

I'm giving this product a 5-star rating because even though it didn't meet my expectations it was better than I thought.  And if I had been more observant while perusing the products I wouldn't have chosen the "wrong" item.

Leonard Mountain Roasted Garlic and Herb Bread

What more can you say? Garlic and Herb in a bread mix – what’s not to like? Serve with just about anything (except maybe breakfast) and you won’...
Soups Online

Garlic Herb Wreath

Garlic Herb Wreath

Garlic Herb Wreath. Handcrafted on a family-owned farm in California, our Garlic Herb Wreath is brimming with aromatic herbs including sage, marjoram...
Plow & Hearth

Garlic & Herb Seasoning No Salt

Garlic & Herb Seasoning No Salt

THIS LISTING IS FOR ONE 1 1 OUNCE JAR OF NO SALT GARLIC HERB SEASONING INGREDIENTS: GARLIC, ROSEMARY, BASIL, RED PEPPER, ORANGE PEEL, ONION, PARSLEY, ...

Garlic & Herb Seasoning No Salt - Refill

THIS LISTING IS FOR ONE 1 1 OUNCE - REFILL OF NO SALT GARLIC HERB SEASONING INGREDIENTS: GARLIC, ROSEMARY, BASIL, RED PEPPER, ORANGE PEEL, ONION, PARS...

Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning - 7.75 Oz

Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning - 7.75 Oz

Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning - 7.75 oz - $10.19 - This item is NEW - Manufacturer: Weber Weber Garlic & Herb Seasoning is a delicious blend o...

Frontier Natural Products - Organic Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend - 2.7 oz.

Frontier Natural Products - Organic Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend - 2.7 oz.

Frontier Natural Products - Organic Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend - 2.7 oz (76g) Frontier Natural Products Organic Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend is a ...
LuckyVitamin.com

Perfect Pinch Salt Free Garlic & Herb - 7.75 oz.

Perfect Pinch Salt Free Garlic & Herb - 7.75 oz.

Perfect Pinch Salt Free Garlic & Herb. The taste you trust.
Garlic Bread Seasoning 10 Pounds Bulk

Garlic Bread Seasoning 10 Pounds Bulk

10 Pounds Bulk of gourmet quality Garlic Bread Seasoning 100% Guarantee and fast shipping.

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19    Next >>