Goya, Bean Chick Peas, 15.5-Ounce (24 Pack) (GOYA) Reviews

Goya, Bean Chick Peas, 15.5-Ounce (24 Pack) (GOYA)

+$11.90 shipping Walmart.com

Goya Canned Chick Peas are a must-have in this house.

Sep 8, 2010

Pros:cheap, full of nutrition, versatile

Cons:they remain firm even after 12 hours in a slow cooker

The Bottom Line: If you are looking to add nutrition to your meals and "stretch" them, try adding a can of these Goya Chick Pea Garbanzo Beans.

When I was a child, I refused to eat any type of bean because I didn't like their chalky texture.  As an adult, I managed to get over that issue and started incorporating them into my meals.  I use several different types of beans in my cooking, but the one I use most often is Goya Canned Chick Peas.

About This Product

Goya Chick Peas
are soaked in water and sold in 15.5 ounce cans with an "easy open" top.  Chick peas (also known as garbanzo beans) are a good source of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber.  They are also very low in fat.  Each can contains about 3.5 half-cup servings.  A serving of these chick peas contains 100 calories, 2 grams of fat, 20 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and 360 milligrams of sodium.

My Experience

I don't have a lot of storage space in my small kitchen, so most of the shelves in the cabinets are filled with dried herbs, spices, seasonings, flour, rice, etc.  That being said, I devote an entire shelf to canned beans, most of which are these Goya Garbanzo Beans

When you open the can of these beans, they don't look so pretty sitting in their stinky bean-smelling water.  I simply dump the contents of the can into a small colander and thoroughly rinse off the liquid and any "starchy stuff" that clings to the chick peas.

We go through a lot of Goya Canned Chick Peas in this house.  During the winter, I use them to make homemade hummus with lemon and yogurt (sooooo good) and in my homemade chili and chili dips.  We entertain friends and family weekly for Sunday Football (aka Sunday Funday) and they insist on hummus every week and either chili or chili dip (a layer of chili covered with a layer of cream cheese and then a layer of shredded cheddar) every other week or so.  In the summer my husband lives on salads for lunch and dinner and he loves to add these Garbanzo Beans on top of his salad to add some protein, fiber, and texture.  I do have to note that when I add these beans to my chili and let everything cook for 8-12 hours in a CrockPot, they still remain pretty firm despite the fact that they are soaked/packed in water.  We don't mind the firm texture but a friend of ours with a "sensitive" digestive system was uncomfortable for two days after eating the chili that was chock-full of these chick peas.

My grocery store typically sells 3 of these 15.5 ounce cans of Goya Canned Garbanzo Beans for $2.  Occasionally I can get them for even less if they are running their "can-can" sale which, as the name implies, basically cuts the prices on all canned goods in the store.

Overall Opinion

Goya Canned Chick Peas
always have a place in our limited kitchen storage area.  I use them year-round and they add great texture and nutrition to our meals without costing a lot of money.  Recommended!