Pros:Works great at getting rid of all types of ants.
Cons:Care should be given in how this product is handled.
The Bottom Line: If you have ants, this product really works at getting rid of them. It is the only product I use!
Woke up on Saturday morning and went down to the kitchen to make coffee and breakfast. I had a rude awakening though when, still sleepy-eyed, I spyed the counter-top and it appeared to be moving. ANTS! Thousands of them. Yes, I probably do have a crumb or two on the counter and combined with the lack of rain and the cold weather, the ants had come in looking, looking, looking for something, anything to eat. You know, I've always wondered if California is built on a gigantic ant hill. On Saturday, it appears that the answer to that question was yes.
Recommend this product?
"Grants Kills Ants" Ant Control System comes in a small cardboard box with 4 stakes. The stakes are approximately 5 inches long, made of plastic and about 1-1/2 inches wide. (The old ones I used to buy were made of metal, but this is no longer true.)
I have actually used this product on and off for years when I've had problems with ants and I always buy it when I need it. It is guaranteed. (I once had an infestation of ants in my cupboards when my infant son was 4 days old --that was not fun!) For me, this is the ant product that really works. There is a small hole about the size of an eraser tip in the rounded top. Recessed down inside the hole is where the poison is, out of reach of fingers. The ants discover this, because it somehow appeals to them as food, they are drawn to it and clamor around it. They then take this "food" back to their nest and it eventually kills them, including the queen ant. The poison bait to me appears to be a kind of tan-colored gel substance. There is no smell or scent at all associated with this product. There is nothing that I could find on the box that told about what the poison is, but when I googled this, I found that the poison is something called "baygon".
What you are supposed to do, and this is the hard part for me, is to let the ants discover the bait. This means that there are thousands of ants around the Grants Bait Stakes (and yes, they were all over my kitchen countertop). Waiting is the key here because once they get the poison bait, they take it back to their nest, as the directions indicate. For two days, they were doing this gathering of the poison bait, so for two days, we had to let them be without touching them or trying to clean them up. I was rewarded for my patience as I gradually saw the numbers of ants dwindling yesterday. This morning, there were just one or two stalwart ants left. Grants had done the job for me once again!
You can use this product outside or inside and in flower gardens (not in vegetable gardens). Since they are shaped like a small stake, you can push it into the ground if need be. Scout ants are attracted to the special Grants poison formula. The scout ants then take the bait back to their colony where all of the (workers and queen) ants eat it, so the ants will not return.
Keep out of reach of children. This product is also toxic to birds and fish. First aid instructions are available on the box if a person swallows this product, (which might be difficult to do) or if it gets into your eyes. Do not let this product come into contact with your skin or clothing. I always place the Grants stakes into a small plastic bag and close it with a twist tie, so it doesn't spill or possibly leak anywhere it shouldn't. When you are handling it normally, taking it out of the box etc., you would have to work pretty hard at actually touching the poison, since it is recessed down inside the little hole opening.
This product comes in different sizes. I have also purchased the larger size (10 stakes). I found this at my local hardware store for $4.99. I believe you can find Grants at WalMart, KMart and other stores carrying pest-control products.
Grant Laboratories, Inc
San Leandro, CA 94578
~thanks for reading~
Read all comments (10)