Guitar Hero World Tour  (Sony PlayStation 2, 2008) Reviews

Guitar Hero World Tour (Sony PlayStation 2, 2008)

Fun for the whole family!

Mar 5, 2010

Pros:more instruments, good songs

Cons:takes long to complete game, freezes

The Bottom Line: A great game to buy that the whole family can play.  Make sure your card has plenty of memory on it; this game uses a lot.

In summary:
World Tour has a wider variety of instruments to choose from, compared to the original Guitar Hero games.  The whole family can play!  Someone can sing, someone can play the guitar, someone can play bass, and someone can play the drums. There's many great songs to choose from and you can create your own character to play as.  It's really a great buy and fun to play.

Now, more in depth:
I love this game.  Call me a nerd, but I seriously cannot get enough.  And it's not just me!  I can't even count the number of nights when my whole family would sit in the basement, playing this game.  There's enough instruments for everyone to play!  I know some people struggle with the guitar instrument, so they can sing.  Or they could play the drums!  Although it would probably be easier to sing...I find the drums to be a little tricky.  Then again, there's always the beginner option.

On beginner, a single line flashes instead of a circular note.  The beat is usually slow and easy.  You can hit any note.  This is a nice option for younger kids or people who just want to play one song, not beat the game.

Song choice was usually not a problem.  There was a time where we had to sing in French...that was interesting.  But other than that, the songs are great.  There's a lot of awesome artists on the set list!  There's Michael Jackson, Ozzy Osbourne, Sting, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, Linkin Park...I could go on and on.  Some of my favorite hits on the list: "Eye of the Tiger", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Rebel Yell", "Hotel California", and "American Woman."

So the songs are awesome, the instruments are perfect...graphics.  Graphics are actually pretty good.  You can even create your own "rockstar" to play as, which I thought was pretty cool.  Depending on how picky you are, this can take a while.  I'm very meticulous, so this took about an hour for me.  But when my sister made her character, it probably took her fifteen minutes.  Anyways, it's worth the wait.  You can choose their reactions to getting booed off stage, their outfits, etc.  It's pretty amusing. (:

Those are all the pros.  Now for the cons...
Obviously, the Play Station 2 is not the best game system on the market.  It's outdated.  It's been upgraded to the Play Station 3.  And it's definitely not a Wii.  So I'm not sure if this happened because of the game system, the game, or just lack of memory on our memory card.  But anyways, the game froze on multiple occasions.  Sometimes in the middle of a song, sometimes while we were creating a character, or "rockstar", and sometimes when it was just on the main menu.  We just shut off the Play Station and turned the game back on.  But this got annoying, because if we hadn't saved, we lost all of our progress.  Which is bad, considering that this game takes A LONG TIME to beat.  So I would say that I recommend autosave...but I don't.  Autosave takes way too long to save after every song.  In the case that your system freezes, I guess it would be better if you had autosave on, but if not...totally not worth it.  I would recommend playing the game a couple of times.  See what happens.  If you notice the game freezing, then keep autosave on.  Better safe than sorry (and loosing all of your progress).  If the game doesn't freeze, turn autosave off.  Just save when you're done playing for the night!  Autosave takes forever.  It will annoy you.

Another con is the time it take to complete the game.  There's so many songs you have to play!  I actually enjoyed the large set list, but like I said-it takes time to get through it.  This didn't bother me that much, but I know it would bother some people, so I figured I'd mention it.

Maybe a con would be having to buy all the different instruments.  We purchased a bundle that came with instruments and the game, so I'm not sure how much they are separately.  But I'm assuming they can get pricey, so watch out for that.

Despite all these cons, I really enjoyed this game.  It's entertaining with great songs-bottom line. (:

Virtual musicians can live out their rock and roll fantasies by playing either a single instrument, or any combination of instruments, in addition to ...