HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One Printer

This HP gets an "A" for print quality and value

Jan 31, 2013

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Excellent printing, with sharp black text & impressive photos.  Affordable inks.  Logical user interface.

Cons:Paper pickup noise that could wake the dead.  Finicky paper loading.  Flimsy output “tray”.

The Bottom Line:

Priced right, this nicely designed all-in-one unit provides speedy and sharp printing, scanning and copying along with wireless capabilities.  An excellent choice if you can live with its few quirks.

Time for a new printer…but which one?

My old Canon Pixma inkjet printer gave up the ghost.  When I found that a new printhead would cost more than a whole new printer, I decided that a replacement would be the way to go.  The first printer I owned was an HP, and it gave good service.  I also had an excellent Lexmark, but they’re exiting the inkjet printer business.  I never liked my third printer, the Canon, because it was slow and had a clunky user interface.  HP’s Deskjet 3520 offered just the right features for my basic printing needs at an affordable price.  And being an all-in-one, it allowed me to ditch the separate flatbed scanner I had been using.

The Deskjet 3520 has a basic monochrome display that guides you through the various functions.  The more advanced controls are provided by the HP Printer Assistant, accessed from the computer’s desktop.  It also lacks any memory card slots so with those things in mind, consider this a basic, all-around unit as opposed to a photo enthusiast’s printer.

(Note to shoppers: There are also Deskjet 3521 and 3522 models available in some stores at about the same price as this 3520 that I bought at OfficeMax.  I’m not sure what the difference is, as they appear to have the same features and specs).

Surviving the setup

You can use the 3520 in the traditional way – tethered to your computer with the included USB cable.  But for more flexibility it offers wireless capability, including HP’s much-promoted ePrint.

The 3520 offers two methods of initial setup: Wirelessly, with no direct connection to your computer, or with the supplied USB cable.  After a couple of wireless attempts that seemed to hang, I found it easier to use the alternate USB method.  That turned out to be a snap.  Plug the cable into printer and computer, wait for the data transfer to complete and then detach the cable.

Configuring the unit for wireless use wasn’t difficult, but I’ve encountered an unpredictable quirk with this printer.  Sometimes when I turn it on it will connect to my router with no problem.  Other times I’ll power it up, only to find that the blue “wireless” light is blinking, indicating a problem with the connection.  The only solution I’ve been able to find is to tap the button once – turning “wireless” off – and then tapping the OK button to re-establish the wireless hookup.  Go figure.

HP provides a paper manual that covers setup, basic operation and a limited amount of troubleshooting.  If those things don’t solve your problem the setup CD will usually direct you to the HP support website, which I’ve found to be pretty well-organized compared to most.

You’ll like the way it prints

The Deskjet 3520’s print quality can’t be beat.  Load some bond paper, choose the “normal” setting and the output from the 3520 could almost pass for laser printing.  Even when using ordinary “copy and print” paper, text comes out crisp and dark with no raggedness.  The draft quality setting doesn’t look too bad either, so you can save some ink when doing non-critical, day-to-day stuff.  The first page begins printing within a matter of seconds, and the actual print speeds come pretty close to the advertised figure of 8 pages/minute at “laser comparable” quality and 23 pages/minute at the draft setting.

If you’re as fussy about envelope printing as I am, you’ll love the 3520.  Standard #10 business envelopes come out perfectly – free of smudges and with the return address always perfectly aligned, something that was always an annoyance with my old Canon.

I haven’t yet done much photo printing with this machine, but the 4 x 6 snapshots I’ve printed on glossy photo paper could easily pass for commercial grade printing.  They compare favorably with what my old photo-oriented Canon Pixma would produce.

With the aforementioned ePrint, you can print wirelessly from mobile devices.  Essentially, the printer has its own e-mail address.  From my Samsung Galaxy media player I can “share” a photo by sending it to the HP 3520’s ePrint address and it will print just as if I were doing it from the computer.

Just a few rough edges

First, the paper loading.  Make sure you follow the instructions exactly – pull the paper tray out toward you, then place the paper flat on the tray and push the tray into the machine until you hear a click.  Do NOT try to shove paper into the tray without first pulling the tray out a bit!  If you do so –– you are likely to end up with a paper jam.  Fortunately jams aren’t too difficult to clear; lifting the upper portion of the machine, just below the scanner bed, provides a clear shot at the machine’s innards.  But by following the procedure mentioned above, the paper will feed flawlessly.

A second gripe: The noise made by the paper pickup.  The 3520 is pretty quiet once the printing gets under way, but it makes a nerve-wracking RAT-A-TAT-TAT noise when grabbing the paper.  This is definitely not a printer you’d want to use late at night adjacent to bedrooms where people are sleeping!

Third: The paper input tray is sturdy enough but the output “tray” is a different story.  It consists of a plastic arm measuring about 2 ½ by 6 inches long that swings out  90 degrees from the bottom of the input tray.  A small tab, about 1 ½ by 2 ½ inches long flips up from its end at roughly a 30 degree angle.  This fragile affair is intended to catch the outgoing paper and it does so pretty well, but be careful not to bang into it – it is possibly the flimsiest printer part I’ve ever seen!

Keeping it fed with ink

HP includes a full set of ink cartridges, the #564, which seems to be a commonly used item among their various inkjet models.  Currently, OfficeMax, Wal-Mart and Target have them in stock at reasonable prices.  But note: The ones that are shipped with the printer bear the word “SETUP”, which I presume means that they’re not the same capacity as the ones you’d buy as replacements.  And note also that HP offers the 564 ink both in standard and high capacity variations.  So far, I haven’t had to replace the “setup” cartridges, but the ink monitor is indicating that the day won’t be far off.  The HP Printer Assistant shows that I’ve printed about 180 pages with these original cartridges, so I think the ink economy looks good at this point.  But your mileage may vary, as they say.

Copying

A breeze.  The computer doesn’t even have to be on, one of the beauties of an all-in-one machine.  The lid feels solid and opens easily, though its hinges don’t allow it to close on top of a thick item like a book.

Scanning

The 3520 allows scanning to the computer from its own control panel, a handy feature provided that you have the printer software configured to allow this feature.  Otherwise, the HP Printer Assistant on your desktop allows you to perform the same functions, and with even more control.  Scanned images can be saved either as JPEG or PDF files.  There’s no document feeder on this basic model but the unusually simple, logical scan menu makes it easy to scan multiple pages into a single file.

My fourth printer and my second HP

The Deskjet 3520 is my fourth inkjet printer and my second HP.  I liked the first HP for its superior text quality, and this new one lives up to the brand’s tradition.  Except for the quirks I’ve described, this seems like a pretty easy unit to live with: It’s nicely designed with a compact footprint, easy on the ink (at least so far) and capable of beautiful output on almost any kind of paper.  Add in the low price and you have a winner.

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One Multifunction Color Printer

HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One Multifunction Color Printer

FeaturesEasy wireless printing from virtually anywhere With HP ePrint, now you can print from virtually anywhere Print and share wirelessly, and conne...
Hp Deskjet 3520 E-all-in-one - Multifunction ( Printer / Copier / Scanner )

Hp Deskjet 3520 E-all-in-one - Multifunction ( Printer / Copier / Scanner )

Simple and efficient, the Hewlett Packard Deskjet printer is all that you need to get superior results. This Hewlett Packard 3520 inkjet printer has a...

HP Deskjet 3510 e-All-in-One Printer

Features: With HP ePrint, you can print from virtually anywhere Print and share wirelessly, and connect to your wireless network quickly and easily Do...

HP Deskjet 3510 e-All-in-One Printer

With HP ePrint, you can print from virtually anywhere Print and share wirelessly, and connect to your wireless network quickly and easily Download con...
Hp Deskjet 3520 Wireless E-aio Printer Copy Scan Wifi Duplex Sealed W/ Ink

Hp Deskjet 3520 Wireless E-aio Printer Copy Scan Wifi Duplex Sealed W/ Ink

HP - Deskjet 1510 All-In-One Printer

HP - Deskjet 1510 All-In-One Printer

Complete a variety of office tasks with this HP Deskjet 1510 all-in-one printer, which features 3-in-1 functionality, so you can print, copy and scan ...
Best Buy

Hp Deskjet 1055 J410e All-in-one Inkjet Printer In Sealed Factory Hp Box

Hp Deskjet 1055 J410e All-in-one Inkjet Printer In Sealed Factory Hp Box

Capable of handling everyday printing, copying and scanning tasks, the HP Deskjet 1055 printer delivers high quality prints with up to 4800 x 1200 dpi...

HP Deskjet 2540 e-All-in-One Color Multifunction Inkjet Printer - White (A9U22A#B1H)

Find printers, fax, scanners at Target.com! A crisp and clean design makes the hp deskjet 2540 e-all-in-one color multifunction inkjet printer in whit...

HP Deskjet 1510 Inkjet Multifunction Printer - Color - Plain Paper Print - Desktop

This HP Deskjet all-in-one offers easy printing, scanning, and copying-with quick setup and straightforward operation-at an affordable price. Optional...
Office Depot

Hp Deskjet 3521 E-all-in-one Printer

Hp Deskjet 3521 E-all-in-one Printer

HP DeskJet 3521 e-All-in-One Printer New Features: Printer Print Technology: HP Thermal Inkjet Print Speed: ISO Speed: Up to 8 ppm black, Up to 7.5 pp...