Haier HLP140E Electric Portable Dryer Reviews

Haier HLP140E Electric Portable Dryer

Free Shipping Target

So glad I bought this dryer!

Aug 7, 2009 (Updated Nov 8, 2011)

Pros:Compact, easy to relocate, gets the job done

Cons:cost more than my washer; longer time to dry (minor con)

The Bottom Line: Good compact dryer, cost about an arm (and almost a leg), perfect for small places.

The Haier Compact Dryer is a must for apartment/condo dwellers. It weighs about 50 pounds and glides around on the carpet easily for relocation because it does not have any rubber "legs" or feet(?). Total cost with shipping is approx. $310, which isn't all that bad, considering the convenience.

Mine was brand new from E-Bay and came in perfect condition. (Home Depot did not have it in stock and I did not have the patience to wait for it to be in stock. Thus, I ended up paying a little more from E-Bay.) It basically works out of the box. Just unpack and plug. There was no assembly or any wires/zip ties to cut (I've seen other reviews where someone had to cut a zip tie so the drum can start).

However, you will need to buy a dryer vent kit so you can have the dryer air routed outside your apartment/condo. You can actually get a kit or just the venting duct. These can be purchased at any hardware store for about $12+. I had to attach an additional duct ($9+) to have it reach all the way out to my patio.

For a dryer this size, it holds quite a bit of clothes. I can fit 2 to 3 loads from my compact washer for light weights. Light weight clothes take about 1 hour to dry (like for t-shirts, PJs, undearwear, socks, face towels...those sort). Heavier clothes will take up to 2 hours or more. I hang dry my heavy weight clothes for a few hours then put them in the dryer and save some drying time.

The lint trap is round, with a set of 3 discs and located inside the far wall (not really that far; it's actually right in front of you when you open the dryer door). You just hold the center part of the plastic disc and pull it off (use a little force), take out each disc, clean, and push it back in. The first disc is plastic, followed by a netted disc that catches all the lint, and the last disc is made of black course felt-like material (not sure what it is). The filter should be cleaned after every load to maximize drying function.

If strategically placed, the sound level of the unit will probably not bother your neighbors. Just rememeber to wrap/secure any buttons or zippers that are bound to bang around inside.

The drying functions are practical and like a full size. Drying durations can be set at 30 min., 60 min., 90 min., 120 min., and 150. But you can also set on auto drying detection. There's hot, low, and air dry setting. There's also indicator light showig what drying stage it's on and if the lint filter needs to be cleaned. Lastly, it gives a series of "dings" to let you know that the load is done.

You can't expect this dryer to act like a full size and get the work done fast. The point is, it gets the work done and it takes less space. I'm happy I bought it.

Update -- 11/09/2011

A couple of months ago, a strange noise came out of nowhere. It sounded as if the fan was rattling against something. I opened it up but couldn't find anything out of place and the drum was spinning just fine. I wish I could disassemble it completely, but the unit just doesn't allow it. I put everything back together and the noise still persists. The dryer still works though. (I'm just afraid the noise might bother my next door neighbor.)

Connects to any 120-Volt outlet and matches any Haier Portable Washer. Just mount to a wall and you're set. 4 dryer cycle settings, 3 temperature sett...
Find washers and dryers at Target.com! The haier 2.6-cubic-foot portable electric dryer has 4 dry cycles so you can choose the right setting depending...