Halls Defense Multi Blend Supplement Drops Harvest Cherry 25 Each

What Tackles The Throat Tickler & Banishes Bad (Menthol) Taste?

Feb 7, 2005

Pros:Delicious taste, soothing affect, 100% of Daily Vitamin C

Cons:Red number 40 food coloring

The Bottom Line: Finally, a delicious, naturally flavored throat lozenge that doesn't taste like medicine, yet relieves that irritating, pesky tickle type of cough while boosting your immune system.

In my job talking to the public 10 hours a day as a late night Call Center Advice Nurse, a sore throat or pesky throat tickling cough can be the bane of my professional existence. Yet, what to do when one's adverse to the nasty taste of mentholated cough drops?

Halls Defense Multi-Blend Supplement Drops, Harvest Cherry, are good-for-drops that have the wonderful taste of natural, versus wild, cherry, blended with soothing herbal extracts/oils like anise root, angelica, lemongrass, sage and white ginger.

I admit to being leery of tasty-sounding Halls products after my purchase of yummy sounding flavors like Tropical Fruit and childhood memory's favorite Honey-Lemon proved to contain that seemingly ubiquitous, gag reflex-provoking active ingredient: menthol.

And since one of our most highly respected Pediatric triage protocol Doctors recommended corn syrup to help sooth irritated throats and loosen sticky phlegm, I knew something with a glucose syrup base was going to be just the ticket.

Grabbing up this multi-colored packet, you can understand why I quickly turned to the ingredients list, searching for that "M" word stuff I associate with the taste of gasoline, turpentine or Vick's Vapo Rub. Instead, I found natural cherry flavoring, and a trio of ingredients I'd come to associate with boosting one's immune system:

Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

Zinc Sulfate (A trace mineral)

Echinacea (Purple Coneflower)

Each drops contains 60 mg of Vitamin C, which is 100% of the RDA-Recommended Daily Requirement. Vitamin C has been associated with work by Dr. Linus Pauly. Various studies have shown association with collagen formation, healthy blood vessels and gums, and boosts to the immune system.
Considered also an anti-oxidant, Vitamin C is water soluble, and in large doses, (250 mg and above), provides a diuretic effect.

Which means, you will be losing this Vitamin frequently, say every 2-4 hours. Since your body doesn't manufacture this essential Vitamin, supplementation and dietary sources, (oranges, strawberries, papayas, acerola cherries, rose hips, et al), are important, and ideally different sources should be consumed throughout the day to provide optimal cellular saturation.

Each tablet also contains 1.5 mg of Zinc Sulfate, a trace mineral, often recommended to be taken as lozenges for professional singers, or following major surgery or burns, to promote rapid healing. Too much zinc, as in OTC supplement tablets, may cause stomach upset, so the modest 10% of the RDA provided here, is less likely to promote indigestion, especially if you are likely to enjoy several throughout the day.

Echinacea, is a longtime herbal remedy, and the 15 mg from ground coneflower root has no current RDA. Folklore and, to some extent, the Herbal PDA (Physicians Desk Reference), suggest its use as a catalyst in boosting the immune system.

Caveats for zinc have already been mentioned. For Vitamin C, too much may result in diarrhea, or when abruptly stopped-especially in large megadoses-the rebound effect, which mimics Vitamin C deficiency, or scurvy. Echinacea is a member of the daisy family, and may promote allergic reactions in those so sensitized.

For this gabby R.N., the taste is beyond acceptable, moving into the realm of the pleasant/enjoyable. Mild sore throats and the ticklish sort of coughs and irritations associated with viruses, allergies and the use of Ace-inhibitor types of blood pressure medications, (Monopril, Vasotec for example), respond well to the combination of soothing and healing ingredients.

I am Type 2 diabetic, yet the modest 15 calorie/3 grams of sugar, (equivalent to a level teaspoon of the white stuff), is not a reason for me to avoid occasional, once or twice a day usage. Not to mention the price, at roughly 8-10 cents per each individually wrapped drop, seems very reasonable.

In the 4 years since I've discovered Halls Defense Multi-Blend Supplement Drops, Harvest Cherry, I've had about 1/3 the number of colds and bad sore throats I would normally experience working in a larger medical center environment. I can heartily recommend these tasty throat drops for anyone with general good health who want soothing relief with the added bonus of non-megadose Vitamin C supplementation and good taste without that massively bitter menthol stuff.

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops, 80ct

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops are an easy and tasty way to get some Vitamin C into your system. These Halls Vitamin C Drops come in assorted citrus fl...

Halls Defense Assorted Citrus Drops - 180 ct

Halls Defense Assorted Citrus Drops - 180 ct

Product Details Halls Defense Vitamin C Cough Drops Assorted Citrus Flavor drops provide 100 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. Asso...

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops - Strawberry

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops - Strawberry 20 ct box. 20 nine drop packages per box.
The CandyLand Store.com

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops - Strawberry

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops - Strawberry 20 ct box. 20 nine drop packages per box.
The Candy City
Halls Defense Assorted Citrus Eco Bag 80-count (pack Of 4)

Halls Defense Assorted Citrus Eco Bag 80-count (pack Of 4)

1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE ARE NOW SHIPPING WORLDWIDE NEW Halls Defense Assorted Citrus Eco Bag 80-Count (Pack...

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops - Assorted Citrus

Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops - Assorted Citrus 20 ct box. 20 nine drop packages per box.
The CandyLand Store.com

The Candy City
Halls Defense Vitamin C Assorted Citrus 9 Drops Each ( 20 In A Pack )

Halls Defense Vitamin C Assorted Citrus 9 Drops Each ( 20 In A Pack )

Description HALLS DEFENSE VITAMIN C ASSORTED CITRUS 9 Drops each ( 20 in a Pack ) UPC # 312546627529 Please Visit my ebay store for more Great Deals A...

Halls Defense Blueberry Sugar Free Vitamin C Drops, 70 Count

Halls Defense Blueberry Sugar Free Vitamin C Drops, 70 Count

Halls Defense Blueberry Sugar Free Vitamin C Drops:100% daily vitamin C in each drop Delicious daily defense Economy pack--70 drops Resealable bag