Halls Plus Cough Suppressant with Medicine Center Drops with Honey Lemon Bag 25 Drops/Bag, 12 / Case Reviews

Medicated Cough Drops -- Halls Plus Honey-Lemon Tastes Good

Oct 21, 2010

Pros:affordable, re-sealable bag, individually wrapped, honey-lemon flavor, offers soothing relief

Cons:a temporary solution for a sore throat or minor cough (does not replace prescription medicine)

The Bottom Line: Halls Plus Honey-Lemon Menthol Cough Drops with Medicine Center are a good solution to temporarily relieve a sore throat or minor cough.

Lately I am surrounded by coughing people.  Kind people that they are, they have shared lovely germs so that I am now "one of them".  Congestion is never fun, and it's a challenge shaking this pesky bug.  One item in my arsenal against this off/on cough is a bag of Halls Plus Honey-Lemon Menthol Cough Drops with Medicine Center.

Description & Ingredients

There are 25 cough drops in a bag of Halls Plus Honey-Lemon drops.  Each oval drop is a pale yellow color that is about 3/4" long.  The drops are individually covered in a paper wrapper.  The bag has a re-closeable opening (something like a Ziploc bag).

The active ingredient is Menthol 7.5 mg (which is a cough suppressant, oral anesthetic).  Each drop contains 15 calories.  One drop can be taken every two hours by those over five years of age.

Inactive ingredients include: beta carotene, flavors, glucose syrup, glycerin, honey, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, potassium citrate, soy lecithin, sucrose, water.

My Experiences

A coworker suggested that I try these Halls Plus cough drops, and I'm glad she did!

Usually I end up buying cough drops that taste too sweet or are just plain yucky.  Either that or they don't provide much relief.  I like the honey-lemon taste of these drops.  While the cough drops will never be able to masquerade as candy, the taste is definitely acceptable.  And the honey-lemon feels cool against my sore throat.

There is a medicine center inside these drops.  I much prefer the hard outer honey-lemon coating flavor.  Once I reach the medicine center, the drops don't taste as good.  However, I can't fault that they work.  My throat feels better after sucking on one of these lozenges.  Plus, the medicine does curb my periodic coughing even if it does not completely stop it.

If you have a chronic cough, or a cough that is more than a minor annoyance, I recommend visiting your doctor.  These honey-lemon drops are meant to provide temporary relief.  If you have an illness that goes beyond a sore throat and some coughing, you may need a stronger medicine than these drops can offer.  (Note this review does not reflect medical advice.  I am just sharing my opinions.)

The re-sealable bag is great convenience.  I can tuck it in a tote, purse, in a drawer, or on a shelf and not worry about the cough drops falling out of the bag.

Precautions

As with most products, there are warnings on the packaging.  Keep out of the reach of children.

These drops can be taken one every two hours.  Simply unwrap the cough drop and slowly suck on it, dissolving the drop in one's mouth.  Note that for children under five years of age, the packaging states to consult a doctor.

If a sore throat or cough lasts longer than a week, it is suggested that you consult a doctor.  Also if the cough is combined with a fever, rash, or "persistent" headache, the package recommends consulting a physician.

Purchasing

A package of 25 drops costs $2.29 from my local pharmacy.

Summary

If you are looking for temporary relief from a sore throat and minor cough, then these Halls Plus Honey-Lemon Menthol Cough Drops with Medicine Center are worth a try.  I like the taste, and they work well for me.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Conair Obus Forme Ultimate Massaging Backrest with Heat