Halls Sugar Free Cough Suppressant Drops Citrus Blend 25 Each Reviews

Halls Sugar Free Cough Suppressant Drops Citrus Blend 25 Each

Halls Citrus Blend Sugar Free Cough Suppressant Drops last even longer than their name.

Jan 13, 2004

Pros:They live up to their claims, taste good and last a long time.

Cons:There is no sugar but there is menthol and ingredients some will want to avoid.

The Bottom Line: I like Halls Sugar Free drops. They work for my dry throat and dry nasal passages.

I always have Halls with me. It started when I started teaching. I now often get sore throats and dry mouth because of my Sjorgren’s. I’ve read that sucking on candies can help but they should be sugar free because people with autoimmune disorders such as this one are more prone to cavities. For these reasons I bought Halls Sugar Free Mentho-Lyptus Citrus Blend. . They cost me $1.99, which is the same as Hall’s Fruit Breezers

About this product:

Halls Sugar Free drops, which also comes in other flavors such as Black Cherry, come in a pack of 25 individually wrapped drops. The package is nice since it is easy to open and resealable. It closes like many plastic bags by pinching the top together.

Unlike Fruit Breezers these are mentholated. Menthol is a cough suppressant and oral anesthetic. We are told these have a vapor action formula, that they fight coughs, soothe sore throats and makes nasal passages feel cooler. These are all symptoms from which I want relief. There is some issue with menthol not being good for us. I have no problems with it and find the feeling of the menthol nice. I have included information on menthol at the bottom, which is from my review on the Fruit Breezers.

Made by Warner-Lambert there are 6 calories per drop and 3 grams of carbohydrates per drop. If you are interested in the exchange information because you have diabetes, 1 drop is a free exchange; 10 equal 1 fruit.

Using these excessively might have a laxative affect. This is news to me. I don’t usually “eat” more than 10 a day. I’m not sure what an excessive amount is. We are told that for adults and children 5 years and over to dissolve the drop slowly in our mouths. This can be repeated every hour as needed. That would mean more than 24 a day would be excessive if you didn’t sleep. If your child is under 5, talk with your doctor first. Keep these out of the reach of children. Children often think cough drops are candy.

If your sore throat is severe, persists for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash, swelling, nausea, or vomiting call your doctor.

The active ingredient is Menthol. The active ingredient in Fruit Breezers is Pectin. The inactive ingredients are Acesulfame Potassium; Aspartame (Phenylaline- 2 mg per drop- “Not intended for use by phenylketonuric, pregnant and lactating women. Do not take with MAO inhibitor antidepressant drugs.” This statement is not from the package or the website. I was just surfing to see the definition and found that statement at http://www.addictionrelief.com/disclaimer.htm. I would just suggest that if you have any questions about using any over the counter product talk with your doctor.); Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium; Flavors; Isomalt; and Yellow 5 (Tartrazine). (See below for information on Isomalt.)

Do they work? What are they like?

Unlike Fruit Breezers, which look like candy and are a little larger than the original Halls, the Sugar Free Halls looks just like the non-Sugar Free variety. These are the Citrus Blend and are yellow.

I stated in my review of Fruit Breezers that I miss the vapor/menthol feeling. The menthol-lyptus is quite noticeable in Halls Sugar Free though I don’t find they taste like an orange or any other citrus fruit. Whether it is because they don't or in spite of the fact they don't taste like an orange, I find them quite appetizing. They are slightly tart and I do love the cool feeling on my dry or sore throat. They also immediately clear up my dry nose, although the relief is temporary. This is not a cure for anything but in my opinion, they will make your throat and sinuses feel better. They are slow to dissolve which is nice making them long lasting. The longer they take to dissolve the fewer I have to use. I have been sucking on one while writing this review. I'm approaching an hour as I paste this and edit it here and I still have some left.

There is a numbing affect that the menthol provides as an oral anesthetic. Halls Sugar Free Citrus Blend do really make a difference to me after an hour in a classroom (never mind an entire day) or a day I wake up not feeling well.

I don’t feel a burning sensation as I did with Fruit Breezers and I do find that they last longer than the Breezers do.

If you like Halls but want to avoid the sugar (Granted what it is replaced with may not be any healthier but I’ve been told that it is sugar that creates cavities and that is what I am attempting to prevent.) I definitely recommend Halls Sugar Free. The Citrus Blend is good. I will be curious if the Black Cherry tastes more like Cherry than these do Citrus and I can’t imagine what Mountain Menthol are supposed to taste like but I’ll be trying them.

Feel free to leave me a question or comment.

Other related reviews:

Cepacol Sore Throat Maximum Relief Cherry
Fisherman's Friend Lozenges

***********************
***********************

ISOMALT from Palatinit is a sugar replacer derived exclusively from sugar (sucrose) in a patented process. ISOMALT is a bulk sweetener you can substitute for sugar in a 1:1 mass ratio. ISOMALT should not be confused with intense sweeteners, which have a much greater sweetening power (between a hundred and a thousand times as high) and are therefore only used in small quantities. ISOMALT’s unique nutritional and physiological benefits make it ideal for use in sugarfree, low-calorie and diabetic products. It lends itself to both food and pharmaceutical applications, and also offers many convincing advantages for technical uses. http://www.isomalt.de/

The Flavoring Extract Manufacturer's Association (FEMA) classifies menthol as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved menthol for food use (Opdyke, 1976).
Ingested pure menthol can be poisonous - as little as a teaspoonful (1 gram per kilogram of body weight) can be fatal (http://www.rx.com/reference/natural/Peppermint.jhtml).

The estimated acceptable daily intake is up to 200 micrograms per kilogram of body weight (Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 1993). Dr. James Duke at the USDA Agricultural Research Center estimates that the LD50 (dose at which half the animals die) for menthol is higher than coffee, oral LD50 in rats of 192 mg/kg (CRC Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, 1987).

Hypersensitivity reactions have been reported in a few instances in adults. These patients have reacted with headache, flush, rash, dizziness and hypertension from contact with menthol in a variety of forms, e.g., toothpaste, cigarette smoke, candies and medications (Larkin and Castellano, 1967). Ingestion of menthol can cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, vertigo, ataxia, drowsiness and coma (Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 1993). Overdose of menthol, particularly over long periods, e.g., overuse of mentholated cigarettes (see Luke, 1962 below) can result in gastrointestinal distress, ataxia, stupor and convulsions - even blood dyscrasias have been reported (Meyler, 1996). http://goodhealth.freeservers.com/MentholToxicology.htm

Halls Sugar Free Cough Drops - Honey Lemon - 180 Ct

Halls Sugar Free Cough Drops - Honey Lemon - 180 Ct

Cough Suppressant with Menthol Soothes Sore Throats Great for Diabetics 180 Cough Drops Description A sugar free option for fast effective relief that...

Halls Cherry Menthol Drops Cough Suppressant 80 Ct

Halls Cherry Menthol Drops Cough Suppressant 80 Ct can help make cold season more manageable. This cough candy features advanced vapor action technolo...

Ricola Cough Suppressant Throat Drops Natural Honey Herb - 24 ct
Halls Sugar Free Cough Drops - Honey Lemon - 180 Ct. (s9121)

Halls Sugar Free Cough Drops - Honey Lemon - 180 Ct. (s9121)

Cough Suppressant with Menthol Soothes Sore Throats Great for Diabetics 180 Cough Drops A sugar free option for fast effective relief that starts work...

Halls Honey-Lemon Menthol Drops Cough Suppressant 80 Ct

Halls Honey-Lemon Menthol Drops Cough Suppressant 80 Ct

Halls Honey-Lemon Cough Suppressant Drops soothe sore throats and help clear nasal passages. For convenience, this product is packaged in a handy bag ...

GoLightly Sugar-Free Cough Suppressant Menthol 30-Count (Pack of 24)

GoLightly Sugar-Free Cough Suppressant Menthol 30-Count (Pack of 24)

GoLightly Sugar-Free Cough Suppressant Menthol 30-Count (Pack of 24) - Soothing menthol. Sweetened with Splenda. Controls coughs; Soothes sore throats...
Halls Honey-lemon Menthol Drops Cough Suppressant 70 Ct

Halls Honey-lemon Menthol Drops Cough Suppressant 70 Ct

Advanced Vapor Action Resealable Bag Economy Pack

Halls Cough Suppressant Mentho-Lyptus 80 Drop Pouch (Pack of 12)

Halls Cough Suppressant Mentho-Lyptus 80 Drop Pouch (Pack of 12)

Halls Cough Suppressant Mentho-Lyptus 80 Drop Pouch (Pack of 12) - Find temporary relief for your cough and sore throat symptoms and get on with your ...
Halls Sugar Free Honey Lemon Cough Drops - 70 Count

Halls Sugar Free Honey Lemon Cough Drops - 70 Count

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Find relief for your cough due to cold and sore throat symptoms. Halls triple soothing action helps soothe...