Halo Purely For Pets Halo Spots Stew dog Wholesome Chicken Recipe Canned Dog Food 12 5 oz cans (Halo Purely Pets) Reviews

Review of: Halo Spot's Stew Wholesome Chicken Recipe for dogs

Apr 18, 2010 (Updated Apr 18, 2010)

Pros:Entirely all natural ingredients, no by-products, nothing artificial.

Cons:Very expensive but worth it!

The Bottom Line:

As a stand-alone, it probably doesn't have enough protein, but it's wonderful to mix in with regular dog food to make it smell and taste great.

Most small breed dogs tend to be fussy eaters and my dog Bourbon, a Shih Tzu, is no exception. It is extremely annoying when he is being picky, and for those moments, I reach into my bag of tricks. Owners of finicky dogs must have an arsenal of yummy foods at their disposal, food their difficult dogs will find irresistible. One product Bourbon finds utterly tempting is Halo Spot's Stew. The moment he hears me pop the lid, he knows what it is, and he licks his chops...he knows something good is coming!

What is Halo Spot's Stew?

The product's pretty label caught my eye when I was at PETCO shopping for dog food. While I feed my dog dry kibble mixed with my home-prepared meals (strictly for Bourbon), I keep commercial moist food handy for those times he's being finicky or for when I go away and leave my dog with a friend, etc.  Interestingly, at PETCO, all the "natural" dog foods tend to be in the same aisle, so it's impossible not to notice Halo's products, as they are next to Natural Balance Organic formulas, which is what I feed to Bourbon.

The manufacturer claims this is "a holistic pet food that supports your pet's health on all levels by using high quality ingredients and proper formulation to ensure that optimal amounts of nutrition are being achieved." Having learned a lesson or two on pet nutrition after my dog became very ill, I know that feeding Bourbon high quality foods keeps him healthy with a strong immune system.

Last year my little dog nearly died from Ehrlichiosis, a bacterial disease transmitted by ticks, when interestingly, I was using a monthly spot treatment.  He was with us in Africa, and had I not brought him back to the US for extensive testing and treatment, he would have died. When he arrived in the US, he was severely anemic, his kidneys were affected and obviously his immunity became compromised.

My mother and I, with the Vet's assistance, brought him back to health, and after a huge Vet's bill, we were committed to giving him the healthiest possible food dog food (Natural Balance Organic Formula), to include food that I cook for him, and other healthy treats that contain only wholesome ingredients, which I believe keeps him strong and resistant to disease.

Halo Spot's Stew Chicken Recipe Ingredients:

Chicken broth, Chicken, Carrots, Celery, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Chicken live, Pasta, Green peas, Green beans, Turkey, Calcium citrate, Barley, Oats, Dicalcium phosphate, Soy sauce, Dried kelp, Garlic, Zinc gluconate, Ascorbic acid, Copper gluconate.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 3.5% Min, Crude Fat 1.5% Min, Crude Fiber 1.5% Max, Moisture 88% Max

If you look at the overall above ingredients, you will notice that Halo Spot's Stew Chicken Recipe has a lot of veggies in the formula, and a moderate amount of protein as determined by 3.5% Crude Protein listed in the Guaranteed Analysis.  As a stand alone, I don't believe the product contains enough protein required by a dog, but since I am not relying primarily on Halo's dog food to feed my little carnivore, I think this product is perfectly fine to mix in with his regular food.

Halo makes three other stew formulas, which I've tried. Bourbon's favorite is actually the Succulent Salmon recipe, which I think smells too fishy (requiring a beard shampoo after a meal), but must smell divine to Bourbon.  The other formulas, which are also winners:

Halo Spot's Stew Wholesome Beef Recipe
Halo Spot's Stew Wholesome Lamb Recipe
Halo Spot's Stew Succulent Salmon Recipe

Other good things about Halo's Spot's Stew

With all those bad products coming from China, Halo's Stews are made in the USA, with quality ingredients, no by-products, and no rendered meats or meals.

Conclusion

Personally, I think Halo's stews look good and smell good, and my dog certainly agrees. The product is pricey, at $1.59 for a 5 oz can, but I only use ¼ can mixed with his dog food, so basically, one can is good for two days, and I only feed it to him when he's being fussy. I love the product's wholesomeness and I'm confident that my dog is not ingesting anything questionable.

When I researched the Halo Pet Company, I found out that Ellen DeGeneres, an animal advocate is also co-owner of this company; that probably says a lot about the product.

Recommend it.

Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Pate For Cats Ground Chicken - 12 Can(s), Cat Food

Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Pate For Cats Ground Chicken - 12 Can(s) (5.5 oz/156g per can)Halo Pur

Halo Purely For Pets Spots Chew Natural Edible Dental Treat For Small/medium Do

Halo Purely For Pets Spots Chew Natural Edible Dental Treat For Small/medium Do

NEW Halo Purely for Pets Spots Chew Natural Edible Dental Treat for Small/Medium Dogs Nutty Banana 7.2-Ounce $9.28 $12.95 All natural edible dental ch...

Spot's Choice Canned Cat Food, Shredded Turkey 5.5 oz by Halo Purely For Pets

Spot's Choice Canned Cat Food, Shredded Turkey 5.5 oz by Halo Purely For Pets

Purely for Pets. For Cats / Pour Chats. Grain Free.
Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Stew For Dogs For Toy & Small Breeds Wholesome Chicken Recip

Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Stew For Dogs Wholesome Chicken Recipe - 4 lbs. (1.81 kg)Halo Purely f

Halo Purely For Pets Spots Chew Natural Edible Dental Treat For Toy & Small Bre

Halo Purely For Pets Spots Chew Natural Edible Dental Treat For Toy & Small Bre

NEW Halo Purely for Pets Spots Chew Natural Edible Dental Treat for Toy Small Breeds Yummy Pumpkin 5.6-Ounce $10.01 $13.95 All natural edible dental c...

Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Stew For Cats Wild Salmon Recipe - 3 lbs., Cat Food

Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Stew For Cats Wild Salmon Recipe - 3 lbs. (1.36 kg)Ha
LuckyVitamin.com

Halo, Purely For Pets Spot's Stew For Cats, Wild Salmon Recipe 5.5 Oz (155 G)

Halo, Purely For Pets Spot's Stew For Cats, Wild Salmon Recipe 5.5 Oz (155 G)

Halo, Purely For Pets Spot's Stew for Cats, Wild Salmon Recipe 5.5 oz (155 g)Highest quality protein: Whole meats and fresh vegetables No inferior by-...

Spot's Choice Canned Dog Food, Turkey and ChickPea 5.5 oz by Halo Purely For Pets

Purely for Pets. New Grain Free. For Dogs / Pour Chiens.
Halo Spot's Stew Chicken, Shrimp & Crab Recipe Canned Cat Food

Halo Spot's Stew Chicken, Shrimp & Crab Recipe Canned Cat Food

Halo Spot's Stew Canned Cat Food - All Natural Halo Cat Food is Supports Your Cat Through Every Stage of LifeGive your cat a balanced and nutritious c...
Petco

Halo Purely for Pets - Spot's Stew For Dogs 13.2 oz. Wholesome Chicken Recipe - 12 Can(s),

Halo Purely for Pets Spot's Stew For Dogs Wholesome Chicken Recipe 12 Cans (13.2 oz/374 g per can)Halo Purely for Pet