Hamilton Beach 51101 1-Speed Blender Reviews

Hamilton Beach 51101 1-Speed Blender

Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender...Helping Me Make My Morning Smoothie

Dec 22, 2006

Pros:*Small footprint
*Easy to use
*Jar small enough to drink from
*Easy clean up

Cons:*Haven't found one yet!

The Bottom Line: Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender 51101 is a wonderful, small, easy to use blender for a quick individual smoothie or shake.

One day while shopping at Wal*Mart I spotted a small blender on one of the end shelves. I stopped to look at it and my daughter said “if you were to buy one, what color would you buy?” Well with my birthday coming up I sort of knew that was what she was thinking, but then I promptly forgot about it.

She and I went out to eat and shopping on my birthday and she pulled out a wrapped gift and took it into the restaurant with us. I swear I had forgotten about the blender so was surprised and very pleased when I opened it and found she had bought me the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender.

One of the reasons I wanted this blender was the small footprint, measuring only 3 ” across. It doesn’t take up very much counter space so I knew I could keep it out on the counter rather than putting it into a cupboard, which is where my large blender is.

I’ve been making banana - strawberry smoothies* as a way of cutting calories while increasing my fruit intake. The only problem was I hated pulling out my big blender and hated the clean up of it as well.

With the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender I was able to leave the blender on the counter and using it and cleaning it is a breeze.

Included in the box is the black base (I had requested black but they also have a white base) the clear plastic jar, which has white measurements on one side marking off 8 and 12 oz. The entire thing, from table to the top of the lid is only 12” tall with the base being 6” tall and the jar itself 6” tall as well. The black processing lid also has a clear removable filler cap for adding ingredients while using. Also there is an additional drinking lid that can be put on to the jar so that you can drink from it. That is especially helpful if you’re on the go and want to take your drink with you.

The base has a pulse switch, which you must continue to press down on to activate the blades inside the jar. There are no other buttons and no other settings, so if you push down and lift up you can pulse what is inside. I like this feature. Very uncomplicated and it yet it is very powerful and manages to blend my smoothie with no problem.

Of course the booklet that came with this blender has some cautions. Things like Always remove jar from base before drinking from jar, avoid bumping or dropping jar etc. I always love the cautions…and can’t imagine who can’t use their common sense on things like this.

When I opened the box with my blender I took out all of the pieces and washed all except the base in warm soapy water. I wiped down the base, as was recommended and got ready to make my smoothie.

I freeze bananas and strawberries to make my smoothies and this unit has no problem blending them at all. I put plain yogurt, two sweetener packets and the frozen fruit into the blender put the lid on, plug it in and hit the pulse button for just a minute or two. I feel like I’m having a delicious shake and appreciate that it is so healthy and easy to make. I really like that the cup is marked in ounces on the side, so I don’t need to dirty a measuring cup to put my 8 ounces of yogurt into the jar. Also I absolutely love that I can stick a straw into this small jar and drink right from it or I could put the travel lid on it if I wanted to take it with me.

Clean up is very easy too. I just soak the cup itself with warm soapy water, wash the lid and wipe down the base and it is as good as new. The directions do caution NOT to put into dishwasher. Since I don’t have a dishwasher (other than myself) that isn’t a problem for me.

The little booklet that comes with this blender is written in English, French and Spanish and includes five quick recipes.

Since this isn’t a big blender it doesn’t do things like chop, grate or try to mash potatoes in it either. It is best not to use hot liquids or solids in this unit. I was surprised to read that I can grind a maximum of 12 tablespoons of coffee beans in this blender. Since I no longer have a coffee grinder this would come in handy although my main purpose is for my morning smoothie.

I very highly recommend the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender for anyone wanting a smaller version of bigger blenders.

Amount Paid (US$): 9.99 (Gift)

Enjoy juices, smoothies, and shakes in a jiffy with the elegant and efficient Hamilton Beach 51101 blender. The portable design of this Single-Serve B...