Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 50161WV 10-Speeds Blender Reviews

Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 50161WV 10-Speeds Blender

+$4.99 shipping Wayfair

Wave action doesn't make it blend nicely

Mar 23, 2010 (Updated Apr 17, 2010)
  • User Rating: OK

Pros:Larger jar; pouring lid; cord stores in base

Cons:Get frozen chunks, burning smell, buttons stiff

The Bottom Line: I would not recommend this blender since it doesn't seem to blend things like ice well - definitely not smooth enough for smoothies!

We have an older Hamilton Beach blender which has given several years of good service.  Unfortunately, the plastic jar developed a crack, and when you added up the cost of a new jar, etc, it seemed better to just buy another blender.  Since we had a good experience with this blender, we decided to buy another Hamilton Beach blender.

I have to say I am very disappointed with this blender!  It doesn't blend as nicely as the older blender, for example, with the old blender, making strawberry smoothies with frozen strawberries was easy and it chopped up the berries until you only had seeds in the mix in about 5 minutes.  This one on low or high speed always seems to leave chunks of strawberry in the mix.  It also gives off an overheating/burning smell when used.  I don't run the blender for longer than 1 to 2 minutes at a time.
I think the reason why it doesn't blend properly is that the blades are positioned one above the other, whereas in the older Hamilton Beach they are not.  The blades of the older Hamilton Beach also point sideways, not straight up as the upper set of blades in the current blender.
What's nice about the blender is the size of the jar which is bigger than the average blender; the ease of positioning the jar on the unit; the lid which allows pouring by turning the lid to either fully open or to a part with slots - the top is like most jug tops.  It seems to blend liquid items and sugar into liquids well.  Electric cord stores in base.

What's not to like - it leaves chunks when frozen items are blended, no matter the setting; it gives off a burning smell; buttons are a bit stiff to push; measurements on jar are a bit small and hard to read.
UPDATE
Tried blending a single banana, and some apple slices with soy milk and the blender could hardly blend the banana - This is using the smoothie setting and high power!  You get lots of noise but very little blending action.  It actually seems as if after it blends up whatever is near the blades the rest gets pushed away never to come close again.  I added frozen strawberries and it blended them up only as long as I kept pushing the unchopped strawberries down to the blades after each blend cycle. It also still gives off a burning smell.

56 oz. plastic jar. 400 watts. No ice chunks this is the result of the new wave action system that blends everything in the jar not just the lower por...
Hamilton Beach 50161N Features: -10 Speed blender.-Product Type: Countertop Blender.-Color: White.-Distressed: No.-Powder Coated Finish: No.-Gloss Fin...
Wayfair
Use to stir, puree, chop, mix, beat, blend Includes a hi and lo pulse button 350 watts Strain-pour-close lid 2 ounce measuring filler cap 48 Ounce - P...
10SP WHT WAVE BLENDER