Harrah's Las Vegas

Harrah’s Las Vegas Style – Where the fun never ends…

Jan 1, 2004

Pros:Carnival Atmosphere makes it fun and exciting

Cons:Many Time Share people from Fairfield running about trying to sell you something

The Bottom Line: There is so much to do and see at Harrah's Las Vegas Casino and Hotel if you take the time to see it all.

Harrah’s Las Vegas Style – Where the fun never ends…

I love Harrah’s in Las Vegas, in Phoenix, in Laughlin, basically where there is a Harrah’s I am content. The reason being is that they have such a wonderful comp system called “Total Rewards.” I will get to that later…

Harrah’s Las Vegas is full of excitement and fun. I am not just talking about the gambling either. There is so much to do at one Harrah’s Las Vegas Hotel and Casino that the fun never has to end.

I recently went a little over two weeks ago since it is only a five hour drive from Phoenix. The stay for Thursday and Friday was only $45.00 a night. We drove up and valet parked, which there is self parking as well but we usually valet it in Las Vegas just because it is less of a hassle. There are bellmen on hand right when you get out of your car, if you need help with your bags. We didn’t since we were only there for two nights and opted to carry our own luggage to the front desk. The hotel lobby is light tan marble floors with very nice lighting and plenty of help on hand to avoid long lines. We were checked in promptly and directed up to the 23rd floor of the smoking tower. There is a Carnival Tower for smoking and a Non Smoking Tower for those of you who do not smoke. There are 6 elevators to each tower so you never need to stand long to wait to get up to your room.

When we got up to our room, we opened the door to find a similar arrangement as we had in Harrah’s Phoenix Ak-Chin. There was a king size bed, as asked, however you can also get two double size beds as well. There was a large armoire with availability to hang your clothes on either side and a 25” television in the middle. There was a desk with a phone at it for writing or internet access. There was a freestanding round table by itself with a book of all that Harrah’s has to offer as well as a room service menu. There was also a free magazine called “Showbiz” that had a map inside of the strip in pamphlet fashion for your getting around needs. The bathroom had a nice large tub that could fit more than one person for bathing needs. The overall décor was nice. The view was not of anything great however but we also didn’t make that request when we made our reservation. I am sure if you request a room with a view, you will have it to your liking.

My favorite part about Harrah’s Las Vegas Casino and Hotel is that it has a Carnival like Courtyard outside of it. There are little shopping carts full of different items like you would see at the mall. There are souvenirs for Las Vegas as I bought a baby outfit for my niece that said her name and Las Vegas on it for $12.00. There is also a phenomenal bar with a lot of seating and a stage for bands to play. The night we were out there, there was a band playing Retro 80s music and they rocked the house. It was great. The bar itself is special and like nothing I have ever seen. There were two bartenders that did tricks with every mixed cocktail they made and it was spectacular. It made it fun. There was overall heating under the bar, so you could take off your jacket and stay for a while without freezing yourself in December.

Inside Harrah’s Las Vegas Casino and Hotel are eight restaurants/cafes. They are:

1) Winning Streaks Sports Bar – Surrounded by 14 television monitors, you can catch all the sports you need and eat as well with American Cuisine.
2) The Range Steakhouse – An upscale restaurant on the top of Harrah’s with the best steaks you have ever tasted. Very pricey but worth every penny.
3) The Fresh Market Square Buffet – Usually $14.99 and not worth the money. We have eaten there once before and it was not a pleasant experience. The buffet was the worst on the strip that we encountered.
4) The Carnival Court Bar and Grill – The Carnival Bar I spoke of along with American Cuisine
5) The Garden Café – Open all hours of the night. We had All You Can Eat Prime Rib with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables for $9.99 which was a great deal and tasted awesome as well.
6) Club Cappuccino – Coffee, Cappuccinos, Espressos
7) Café Andreotti – Italian Food
8) Asia – Chinese, Thai, Indian and Japanese Food

For Shopping, there is quite a lot to enjoy from and at different price ranges:

1) Jackpot is all about Harrah’s and getting anything you want with their logo on it. It is open 24 hours a day and in the hotel lobby.
2) Carnival Wine and Spirits is a retail outlet located near Carnival Court with wines, domestic and imported beer and liquor of your choice. It is open daily from 8:30am to 2:30am.
3) The Ghirardelli Chocolate Company – There are tables inside and outside overlooking Carnival Court. Chocolate, need I say more? On Sun – Thurs they are open from 10am – 12pm and on Fri and Sat 10am – 1am.
4) Crystalix is located in Carnival court and you can have anything you want etched into a crystal block. The most common I saw were of couples together in a picture. Pretty cool, huh. Open 10am – midnight daily.
5) Desert Colors located in Carnival Court has clothing with chili pepper theme on them. Open 10am – midnight daily.
6) Gifts Plus – Open from 8am to midnight and located near the The Range Steakhouse, there are souvenirs and other gifts to choose from. Nothing really special here.
7) Goldfather’s Outlet in Carnival Court has jewelry that is gold plated and silver. I bought a silver ring for $4.99 there. It is open from 10am – midnight daily.
8) Next to Club Cappuccino and the Hotel Lobby there is Goodfellow’s Shoeshine to shine up your shoes should you be needing it. Open from 9am – 9pm.
9) Higuchi – A place for women to shop with purses, belts, candles, cigarette holders, etc. I bought myself a candle figurine and a Cigarette Case for only $30.00. Open from 9am – 11pm everyday. Located near the Hotel Lobby.
10) HippyChic – Located in the Carnival Court, with a tied-dyed theme, how would you know? Very cute clothing.
11) Landau – Near the Hotel Lobby, there are costume jewelry and beaded purses
12) The Magnet Max – If you are a fan of magnets, this is the place to find everything you ever dreamed of in magnet form.
13) Marshall Rousso – More of women’s clothing and as they call it “resort attire” on their website. It is located near the Hotel Lobby and you wouldn’t find me wearing any of it. It is open from 8am to 8pm.
14) Millennium Foto and Vegas Foto – There are camera galore and film processing there as well film itself but be careful for an instant camera it is $18.00 as we found out. It is located in Carnival Court and Open 8am – 8pm everyday.
15) Oasis Water Massage – Water Massage and Oxygen Bar for your liking, not something I was into trying but it is located in Carnival Court. It is open from 10am – 12am everyday.
16) Ragin’ Cajun have cigars, cigarettes, Cajun like atmosphere for gifts. Located in the Hotel Lobby and open 9am-11pm Sun thru Thursday and 9am to 12am Fri and Sat.
17) San Jung Art – The Chinese Letter Art on Pictures or Apparel. This is where I got my niece a little outfit with her name on it and it is relatively inexpensive if you ask me. They are located in Carnival Court and open 10am – 12am everyday.
18) Located in Carnival Court, Show Me the Money has Money as its’ theme for clothing and hats and other apparel. Nothing that really caught my eye here. It is open from 10am – 12am everyday.
19) Soleado, Inc., is a place to buy sunglasses and is open from 10am – 12am in the Carnival Court.
20) Team LV – I almost bought a hat here. It has collegiate looking clothing and hats. They had some cool stuff that I liked. They are located in Carnival Court and open 10am – 12am everyday.
21) Tower of Jewels – A place to find uniqueness if you can afford it. They have in-house artists that design the jewelry. It is located right next to the Hotel Lobby and open 8am – 8pm daily.
22) Tribeca Sports – Hats and Clothing with Sports on it. Nothing too special here.
23) Tu Tu Tango – More of that god awful clothing that women wear. Nothing out of the ordinary that was to my liking.

Now that you got all the shopping out of the way, you may be on to some gambling. I was a little disappointed in this area because they lacked in my favorite slot game, Leopard Spots. I went on a hunt for it at other casinos but only found a quarter one which would be $.25 per line at 15 lines a spin, you do the math. It was too expensive. Besides that they have every other slot game you can think of:

UncleSam
Frog Prince
The Price is Right
Jackpot Party
Wheel of Fortune
Atlantica
Dreammaker

They have all sorts of slot games, from IGT to Konami to Atomic. There are 5 cent to $500.00 denominations.

Now onto the card action for your card playing people. There are 70 tables to choose from and anything from poker to baccarat.

1) Pai Gow Poker
2) Let It Ride
3) Caribbean Stud Poker
4) Roulette
5) Craps
6) Blackjack
7) Baccarat & Mini Baccarat

There is also sports betting of course and KENO.

One of my favorite parts about Harrah’s is Total Rewards, their comp system. It is a three tier system, from under 3000 points, Gold Status; 3000 points to under 10,000 points, platinum status; 10,000 points Diamond Status. I am currently a Platinum Status person. With their Tier system you can receive a lot back when it comes to playing.

For Gold Status: (taken from website)
1) 10% discount at Harrah's-owned gift stores
2) Priority access to rooms, shows, and events when you call
3) Ability to earn comps and cash, based on play
4) Offers and discounts in your mailbox

For Platinum Status you get all of what Gold Gets plus
1) Preferred restaurant reservations and seating
2) Priority check-in at our hotels
3) Special 800 number for priority service
4) Exclusive travel service, plus benefits with select airlines and other travel partners

For Diamond Status you get all of the above plus
1) Members-only access to Harrah's VIP Lounges (where available)
2) Personal VIP Hosts at your service
3) Free room upgrades and tickets to Harrah's shows (where available)
4) Exclusive hotel check-in area
5) Invitations to Diamond-only special events and tournaments

I have received many discounts, free rooms, free cash and more incentives to come back to play. It has been voted the best comp system in years past. It truly is.

To move onto entertainment at Harrah’s there is much to see. There is much to offer:
1) Clint Holmes – They call him the “voice of Vegas”
2) Mac King – A comedy magic show
3) The Improv – Improvisation Comedy
4) Skintight – Dancing Debut of Women Scantily Dressed
5) Carnaval Court – Bartender Flairs with Bands and Dj Rocking the Night Away
6) Dueling Pianos T.J.´s All-Star Karaoke Party – Located near Carnival Court Entrance a grand entertaining time of Karoake. It is a lot of fun there. Dressing up as Elvis, the host sings and gets guests to sing the night away
7) Calvin Brooks – Only seen in the Range Steakhouse, a little jazz to go with the atmosphere.

All in all there is a lot to do a Harrah’s. Whether you want to take a time out at their health club and spa or a dip in their Olympic style pool or sing the night away Karaoke style, you will not get bored at Harrah’s. There is so much to see and do in one hotel, you don’t even have to leave the grounds. If you should want to check out the Las Vegas Strip, Harrah’s is across from The Mirage and Treasure Island and next to The Imperial Palace and the Flamingo. It is right in the heart of the strip so you can walk in either direction and find more fun in Vegas.

Until next time,