Hartz Goldfish Food

Hartz Goldfish Food

Jun 26, 2001 (Updated Jun 26, 2001)

Pros:It's cheap

Cons:Not the most nutritionally complete food out there.

The Bottom Line: It's probably the cheapest goldfish food you will find, and is acceptable in a pinch. I wouldn't want to switch their diet to this permanently though.

I was running low on food for my fish, and knew it would be a few days before I could get anywhere to get more. As a last resort, I visited a nearby dollar store and picked up a 2oz box of Hartz Goldfish Food. This food was cheap. At the dollar store, they were running a special of 2 boxes for $1.00 so I bought one to hold me over for a couple of days. I felt bad about offering my pets such a cheap substitute for their regular food, but due to the circumstances, I figured that at least they would have some basic nutrition until I could get more.

The Hartz Goldfish Food does offer the basic nutrients your fish needs for basic survival, but not a lot more. As I said before, this is a cheap alternative, and I would only recommend it as a last resort. Following is a list of the ingredients:

Ground yellow corn, ground wheat, wheat middlings, soybean meal, dried corn fermentation soluables, meat and bone meal, fish meal, dehydrated alphalpha meal, corm gluten feed, salt, irradiated yeast, vitamin A palmitate, D-activated plant sterol, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate,riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenaten niacin, choline chloride, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamin hydrochloride, and traces of iron sulphate, manganese sulfate, zinc oxide, copper oxide, ethylene diamine dihydroiode and cobalt carbonate.

Guaranteed analysis:

Crude Protein not less than 26.0%
Crude Fat not less than 3.0%
Crude Fiber not more than 7%
Moisture not more than 12.0%

The feeding directions on the box tell you to feed your fish once daily as much as the will consume in 5 minutes. I find this interesting because another product manufactured by the same company recommends feeding them several times daily. It is very important however, not to overfeed them.

Hartz Goldfish Food is made in the USA, at Hartz Mountain Corp., Secaucus, N.J. 07094 and at St Thomas, Ontario N5P 3W7

The box of Hartz Goldfish Food I bought contained 2 oz (56 g) of food and I paid only 50 cents. The box has a hole in the top about the size of a pencil, making it easy to shake out the amount of food that you need.

My fish are used to the larger flakes, and at first did not know what to do with these tiny specks which drifted down into their tanks. They looked at me as if to say, "hey, where is my food?"

After a moment, a couple of them ventured over and tried a piece or two, and then the rest of them joined in for dinner. They were not nearly as excited about dinner as usual, although they did finish what was given to them.

The water remained clear through their feeding, which was expected since my fish generally clean up their dinner rather quickly. They did not seem satisfied for as long after feeding as usual though, so they needed to be fed a bit more often than normal. It was so sad watching them beg for food like that!

They were only given this food for a few days until I could get something better for them, so I really couldn't notice much change in color. They did seem to become a bit less active than normal though.

Hartz Wardley 3-Ounce Flake Food, Goldfish by Hartz [Pet Supplies]
HARTZ/WARDLEY - ADVANCED GOLDFISH FLAKE (2.5 OZ) AQUATIC PRODUCTS - AQUATICS - FISH FOOD/FEEDERS

Hartz: Large Bird Diet Food, 8 Lb

Hartz: Large Bird Diet Food, 8 Lb

Hartz: Large Bird Food is a nutritious and tasty blend of seeds, grains, nuts and vitamin-fortified pellets. Your bird will love Hartz: Large Bird Foo...

Hartz Bird Diet Food For Large Birds, 8-pound, Free Shipping,

Hartz Bird Diet Food For Large Birds, 8-pound, Free Shipping,

Hartz Bird Diet Food for Large Birds, 8-Pound, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Hartz Size: Color: Item Dimensions: Length: 16.4 inches Width...

Hartz: Medium Bird Diet Food, 10 Lb

Hartz: Medium Bird Diet Food, 10 Lb

Hartz Bird Diet For Medium Birds is a nutritious and tasty blend of seeds, grains and vitamin-fortified pellets that your bird will love. This bird fo...