Hartz Mountain 91032 UltraGuard Plus Flea Tick Home Spray (Hartz)

Roadmap to Dead Fleas: Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea & Tick Home Spray Review

Jun 26, 2012 (Updated Jun 26, 2012)

Pros:Helps kill fleas in those hard to reach places.

Cons:Treat with care, not safe for human or animal consumption/contact.

The Bottom Line: This may seem like overkill but you WILL need a quality spray to get all of those hard to reach places, and this one works.

The first thing off the bat that you should know about fleas is that there is no one product that will extricate them from your home.  They are one of the most insidious and perseverant pests you will ever face.  If you have an infestation on the rise prepare yourself for a prolonged battle because it will take you months to destroy them all and lots of different products and tactics.  You don’t even have to have indoor pets for an infestation to take over, in fact my neighbors had a wicked outbreak in their house last year as well (same time we did) and all they have are outdoor cats.  You will know that it is at the point of no return when you see and feel them jumping onto your ankles from the carpet and the rest of your body from any furniture you have.

Now I suppose I was inaccurate when I said there is no one product to dispose of fleas.  In fact gasoline spread liberally around your house and ignited with a lit match will indeed get rid of your flea problem, however it will drastically worsen your homeless problem.  Barring burning down your house you will need to fight and Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea & Tick Home Spray is one of your weapons that should be used in the fight (or a product of similar design).

I say this is a weapon against fleas, but I can’t say with much certainty exactly how potent this product is.  For you see this was only a small part of our large regiment against the fleas which finally worked (you have to go crazy against fleas).  I will outline our regiment and go into deeper detail regarding this products role when I get to it.

Day 1:  First and foremost you have to get the best flea, flea egg, and flea larvae killer on the market which is Frontline Plus and treat your pets (cats in my example) on day one to destroy the fleas food source.  In our case we had multiple cats so they needed separated for a period of time so we split moved everything else into day two.  If you have only one pet you could do the first two days in one.  If you have no pets skip to Day 2.
Day 2: Put away all dishes, food, pet food, and unplug everything in the house and turn off all pilot lights and plug your vents and move yourself and your pets out of the house for the day because today we bomb the house.  But first use the flea spray, which is where we used the Hartz UltraGuard Flea & Tick Home Spray.  This is an effective addition to your arsenal, you simply have to know its limitations and purpose.  While the flea bomb is like a nuclear bomb on fleas the flea spray is like sending in the Army to kill off any pockets of resistance who happened to avoid the nuclear blast.

I recommend using the spray on any upholstered surface that you or your pets could ever come in contact with, and which may be missed by the fog of war (flea bomb).  This includes under your beds, under furniture, on your furniture, on your cats bedding (we were supposed to dispose of it but we did this anyways), and your baseboards (not upholstered but our vet recommended it because they can lay eggs behind and under them).  But DO NOT spray yourself or your pet with this!  Then after that we used an Indoor-Outdoor Raid product to spray around the perimeter of the house both inside and outside.  Once all of your spraying is complete be sure to use plenty of bombs to completely cover your house (we use six on a two bedroom ranch).   Return in a couple of hours and air out your house and return to normal living conditions.

Day 3-30/31:  You will need to vacuum the house daily, or even multiple times daily and I recommend you use a flea carpet powder while doing that, or at least have chopped up flea collars in your vacuum bag to hopefully kill any fleas and eggs that get sucked up.  And dispose of vacuum bags and the trash you may throw/dump them in frequently (get them out of the house ASAP).

Day 31/32:  This is the first day of your second month.  You will notice that the infestation is fighting its way back after all your efforts, but today is the start of a new Day 1, and tomorrow will be a new Day 2.  In fact you will have to repeat this the month after this even due to the life cycles of fleas you have to be vigilante and on the attack for three whole months total if you want to beat it.  How do I know this?  I don’t have fleas

Day 92-94 – Rest of your life:  By this time if you have followed my plan you will be pretty much flea free.  Now you will no longer be itching all the time or feel like a dirty hobo.  It is at this time that you can lower your guard a little.  Get yourself a solid flea medication for your pets monthly, it doesn’t have to be top of the line but it can’t be bottom of the line or it will do nothing (we use Hartz UltraGuard Pro Flea & Tick Drops as our maintenance med) to guarantee the death of any straggling fleas the may arise, and if ever you feel that the fleas are attempting a comeback bomb once again.

It is hard to say exactly how effective this singular product is considering how much overlap our routine had, but from having a stage five flea infestation to flea free I’d like to think that it had something to do with it.  I personally do not have a lab (with a nice white lab coat) where I can experiment and give exact results on how effective this product is,  but it does have a purpose even though I’m sure you wish it was a cure-all.

In my experience I sprayed everything that wasn’t stapled to the floor with this (and some stuff that was), and since my ‘pet bedding’ is all attached by hand to my own homemade cat trees simply disposing of it was a costly and time consuming recommendation I chose not to take, instead the pet bedding (which I could see was just covered with flea eggs) got a wetted with this, allowed to dry then flea powdered and vacuumed, and that bedding is still in good use with no fleas.  Also it should be noted I would avoid human and pets contact with anything that you have sprayed with this until it has thoroughly dried.  Overall I am very pleased that we no longer have the embarrassing problem of fleas, and I think partial credit for that can go to this product, that is why I give it four out of five stars.

4Oz Dog F&T Powder: Tick & Flea Powder Cat Pet