HP Color LaserJet CP1518NI Workgroup Laser Printer Reviews

HP Color LaserJet CP1518NI Workgroup Laser Printer

No Problems and Beautiful Color

Sep 2, 2008

• Paper Handling:

Pros:

Flawless, beautiful printing with typical laser quality

Cons:Toner cartridge cost--an inkjet may be more practical

The Bottom Line: HP sells this printer inexpensively and tries to make up for initial price with ridiculously expensive toner supplies.  Check that before buying!

I purchased my 1518 about a year ago on sale at Office Depot. I have a home office and an HP 1320 monochrome with which I have been very happy. However, I print reports for clients and my little inkjet HP was eating cartridges at an alarming rate.

I should say, having read the one other review on here, that I have the CP1518ni, that I understand is network-capable. As there is only me using the printer, I can't testify to its utility as a network printer.

Software was quite easily installed. I have printed dozens, hundreds, thousands of pages. None have smeared. None have misregistered color. Everything I print, from maps to bar graphs, has been perfect.
I have had no problems with the printer.

This printer is photo-capable with a separate slot drawer in which one can place the appropriate paper. In addition, there are slots on the front of the printer for inserting various digital camera memory cards. I haven't used any of that, it's not what I bought it for.

Having said all that, the toner cartridge replacement cost is ridiculous. Around $75 or so per cartridge, and there are three color and one black one. HP conveniently tries to sell them a set at a time! Now, my employer pays for mine; if they didn't I never would've bought this printer. Additionally, the black cartridge prints a very small number of copies, especially compared with their monochrome printers. I still have my HP 1320 hooked up; I use it for all my monochrome work (98% of my printing) and I only kick in this printer for color work. Otherwise the black cartridges on this machine would bankrupt my employer!

I really haven't ever owned one of the 'professional' level inkjets; the smearing and wrinkling of ordinary paper irritates me. This laser has worked flawlessly for the purpose for which I bought it. I simply refuse to believe that HP isn't absolutely gouging its purchasers with the supply costs.

Operating System: Windows

High-performance color network printer for professional-quality results Newly formulated HP Color Sphere toner for a wider range of colors and higher ...