HP LP2475W 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor Reviews

HP LP2475W 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Great screen for discerning eyes

Dec 6, 2010

Pros:Excelent image quality, ergonomics and connectivity.

Cons:Slightly difficult to configure.

The Bottom Line: Excellent screen, great value. Unless you don’t care at all about image quality, this is the best pick for its size.

I bought this monitor when I built my desktop computer. I was looking for quality at a decent price, and the HP LP2475w definitely delivered.

A bit of info for non-techies: LCD screens can use one of several different techniques for displaying their images. The most common one by far is TN (twisted nematic), mainly because it is much cheaper than the alternatives. The others have various names, and the most common acronyms you’ll find are IPS (this screen uses a version of this one, specifically H-IPS), MVA and PVA. The main problem with TN is that it’s very hard to get accurate & constant colors with it; usually when you look at the screen from other angles than straight-on the colors change, sometimes dramatically (especially when looking from above or below). The various other technologies almost never have this problem, the main trade-off being their slightly slower response time (and higher price). Note that it’s not impossible to make a good quality TN screen, nor a bad quality non-TN one. However, makers who target low prices usually pick TN and makers who want high quality pick one of the other ones; the consequence is that, at least with respect to image quality, it’s pretty much impossible to find a good TN screen, and almost any non-TN screen you’ll find will be much better.

As you can probably guess by now, the HP LP2475w is great with regards to image quality. As far as I’m concerned, it’s perfect. I use it for everything: browsing, image editing, watching movies, playing games, and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about its image.

In fact, there’s a single criticism I can mention: its color definition is so good that it exceeds the gamut (the reproducible colors) that people and, especially, programs expect, and when first turning it on it the colors can seem much to vibrant. It does have good control of colors through its configuration menu, though, and it didn’t seem difficult to set up; I just chose the 6500K setting in the Color menu, dialed down the brightness, and it looks beautiful.

Other things I like:

It’s got very good ergonomics. The stand can be adjusted for pretty much any position, and the screen can be rotated to portrait mode, a feature I use very often. By the way, it’s very easy to detach/attach the screen to the stand (or a wall-mounting arm), due to a quick tool-free release mechanism on its back, which is VESA-mount compatible. It has a soft power button on the front, and also a mechanical on/off switch on the back, near the power cable, which is nifty.

It’s has a very subdued design (though I guess depending on your taste this might be good or bad), with finger-thin, straight, matte black (or very dark gray) bezels. The power LED is ridiculously bright (and blue), but fortunately it can be disabled via the menu (which I did).

It’s got excelent connectivity: DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, Component Video, S-Video, and Composite Video (the non-digital ones can be used for Picture-in-picture, though I never used that feature). It also has an internal USB hub, with two ports on the left edge and four behind.

Operating System: Linux

HP 23 LCD Widescreen Monitor (W2371d)

HP 23 LCD Widescreen Monitor (W2371d)

The stylish, affordable HP 23 LCD Widescreen Monitor (W2371d) puts everyday computing in a whole new light. Experience the power of solid-state reliab...

HP W2072a Black 20 5ms Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Monitor Built-in

HP W2072a Black 20 5ms Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Monitor Built-in

D-Sub 1 DVI 1 Stand Adjustments Tilt -5 to + 19 degrees Built-in Speakers 1 Watt/Ch Recommended Resolution 1600 x 900 Pixel Pitch 0.277mm Display Colo...
Newegg.com

VE278Q Widescreen LCD Monitor

VE278Q Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus VE278Q 27 1920 x 1080 10000000:1 Widescreen LED Monitor
DreamColor LP2480zx Professional - LCD monitor - 24

DreamColor LP2480zx Professional - LCD monitor - 24

HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional - LCD monitor - 24 - 1920 x 1200 - 250 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 6 ms - HDMI 2xDVI-I DisplayPort - silver carbonite
PCM

NEC 23 MultiSync Widescreen LCD Monitor (E231W)

NEC 23 MultiSync Widescreen LCD Monitor (E231W)

Take your environmental initiatives to the next level with the NEC 23-Inch MultiSync Widescreen LCD Monitor. This widescreen LCD monitor enhances your...

HP W2072a 20 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms

HP W2072a 20 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms

The stylish, affordable HP W2072a LCD Widescreen Monitor offers everyone the chance to enjoy everyday computing in a whole new light. The HP 20 LCD Wi...

MX239H Widescreen LCD Monitor

MX239H Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus MX239H 23 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms
Dell UltraSharp U2410 24 Widescreen LCD Monitor

Dell UltraSharp U2410 24 Widescreen LCD Monitor

Get yourself the 24-inch black Dell U2410 monitor and enjoy some amazing quality performance.
Best Wholesale Software

NEC - 23 Eco-Friendly Widescreen LCD Desktop Monitor, 1920x1080 Native Resolution, 5ms Re

NEC 23 Eco-Friendly Widescreen LCD Desktop Monitor, 1920x1080 Native Resolution, 5ms Response Time, 250cd/m2 Brightness Take your environmental initia...
Adorama