HP OfficeJet 4500 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

HP OfficeJet 4500 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Less is More! HP Officejet 4500

Dec 28, 2010 (Updated Feb 10, 2011)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Inexpensive all-in-one
Uses only two ink cartridges
Copies and scans in color

Cons:Cheaply built
Very Noisy
No hand held manual
My computer runs slower when unit is powered on

The Bottom Line: If you need an inexpensive printer, fax machine, scanner, and copier, consider the HP Officejet 4500.

I realize by writing this review, I am going “out on a limb” by divulging my illiteracy of electronics.  I am not a techie and had no idea of what I was getting into when I recently purchased my HP Officejet 4500 all-in-one.

Before my visit to Staples, I wasn’t even familiar with the term “all-in-one.”  I know, now, that the unit I purchased is a printer, fax machine, scanner, and copier – the last three of which I did not even need, but hence – all-in-one.

The time had come to replace my Epson dinosaur printer which was on its last leg and about fifteen years old.  I went to Staples to replace only the printer.  I walked up and down the aisle looking for a basic printer that did nothing but print.  I soon realized there was no such animal!

I asked a sales clerk where the printers were displayed.  He patiently explained that they no longer carry printers but combination all-in-one units that will print, copy, scan, and fax.  I impatiently explained that I already owned a fax machine and a copier which I was very happy with and I needed just a plain, simple printer!

Upon the sales clerk’s recommendation, I purchased the HP Officejet 4500.  It was one of the smallest units and was on sale for $ 99.00.  I thought the price was much too little to pay for a machine that could do all these different tasks.  He told me the unit was easy to install and if I had any problems, I could call HP for assistance for a fee of $39.00 and they would walk me through the installation.  Another choice would be to call customer service in India.  I’ve been there and done that before.

My hubby installed the hardware of the HP Officejet 4500 and he left the installation of the software up to me.  After a little confusion, I finally printed a Test Page that said, “Congratulations!  If you can read this information, you have correctly installed your HP Officejet 4500” and then described my printer driver and port settings which meant zilch to me.

I began searching for the manual, which HP calls the “Guide” but there was no Guide to be found.  I supposedly downloaded the Guide when I downloaded the software.  The Guide had animated instructions on how to load paper, envelopes, etc.  I had no time for this, for I had a  manuscript I needed to print!  I wish they had a manual called, "All-in-one for Baby Boomers!"

It is very easy to install cartridges in the HP Officejet 4500 and justs takes a couple of minutes.

A black ink cartridge costs $14.99 and will print 200 pages.
A large black cartridge costs $31.99 and prints 700 pages.
A color cartridge costs $28.99 and will print 360 pages.
The color cartridge is not available in a larger size.

I used Hammermill Copy Plus paper for copying and printing on the HP Officejet 4500.  I like this paper because it is 99.99% jam free.  So far, I have had no paper jams. I will not be using photo paper in this unit, for I have an HP Photo Printer which I use to print my photographs.  Although it will take any type of photo paper.

I adjusted the print quality when printing and I printed in "normal" and "best."  There was some improvement in color when I used the "best" setting but not enough to warrant the extra color ink used.  I will probably use the "normal" setting unless I need to have more refinement in color.

I didn't realize the printer could feed continuous copies of multiple pages.  My old Canon copier only copies one sheet at a time.  This will be an asset to me for I won't have to lift the top of the copier for each sheet copied.  Another plus is that I can make color copies.  As expected, it takes a few seconds longer to copy in color.

I learned how to scan to email and also to my hard drive.  Surprisingly, these tasks went smoothly!  I usually fax all documents to the receiver, but with this scanner, I will be able to email scans in color versus black and white

The following is copied from the HP site:

Laser Comparable Speeds1: Up to 6 ppm black, Up to 4 ppm color
Standard Connectivity: 1 USB 2.0, Ethernet 10/100Base-T
Monthly Volume (Duty Cycle): Printer: Up to 3,000 pages
Borderless Printing: Up to 8.5 x 11 in, 215 x 610 mm

Technical Specifications:

Color printing, color faxing, color copying, color faxing
Built-in networking
100 sheet input tray/20 sheet output tray
HP Thermal Inkjet
Memory Standard Maximum:  64 MB
Processor Speed:  192 MHz
W x D x H:  17.07 x 15.81 x 8.53”
Weight:  13.03 lbs

Other Info:

One year limited warranty on hardware
ENERGY STAR Qualified Product
Made in China
Purchased at Staples on sale for $ 99.00
USB cord not included

I will assign only 4 Stars to the HP Officejet 4500,  for the unit is very noisy and my computer runs slow when the printer is powered on.  It takes a while for the "print" window to appear and for printing to begin.

Thank you for reading my review.

Operating System: Windows

With print, scan, copy and fax capability, the OfficeJet 4500 all-in-one printer is ideal for both your office and home printing needs. With a print s...