HP OfficeJet 4500 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

HP OfficeJet 4500 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

print/fax/scan without breaking the bank

Jul 9, 2011 (Updated Aug 1, 2011)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:- affordable
- compact
- feeder and glass
- diagnostic support

Cons:- ink runs out quickly

The Bottom Line: A great printer at an affordable price.

Update since I wrote my original review: I have had to replace the 901 black ink cartridge twice in a month. It is not getting anywhere near the 200 page-count that is advertised. I still love the Officejet 4500 for features and functionality. It is the best printer that I have ever owned. However, the ink production is a big disappointment.

I ordered the 4500 online and was expecting a bulky heavy machine like so many other all-in-ones that I had seen. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is compact and lightweight. It’s sitting in the corner of my desk and I still have plenty of work room. It weighs 13 lbs. The dimensions are 17.07 x 15.81 x 8.53 inches.

The Officejet 4500 prints, faxes and scans in black and white or color and from the feeder or glass. The ability to perform these functions from glass is a definite plus. My last all-in-one only had a feeder which made it impossible to copy or scan very small items. All three functions can also be performed from the printer front panel or from your computer. After a while of not being used, it will go into a power saving mode.

Print speed is 28ppm for black and 22ppm for color. Print quality is good considering the affordability of the product. The ink does run out rather quickly though. You can purchase the 901 black cartridge in an XL size which does last at least twice as long as the regular cartridge.

The fax speed is 3 seconds per page. Fax memory is up to 100 pages. Among other features, it comes with fax forwarding, auto redial, and if you have caller ID it is junk barrier supported.

The scanner speed is up to 29.4 seconds in preview mode. Scan size is 8.5 x 11.7 inches. Resolution ranges from 75dpi to 1200dpi.

It comes with the HP Solution Center and HP Update. In the Solution Center, you can perform any of the functions from your computer, change settings for any of the functions, and convert files to text.

When I first set it up, I could not scan from my computer. I downloaded the HP Printer Diagnostic Tools from the Help Center where I clicked on a link to use the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility. This program detected the problem and fixed it. The scanner function works perfectly now. The Diagnostic Tools also include a Print Utility and Hardware Utility.

I purchased the wireless version of the 4500 all-in-one. With step-by-step instructions, it was simple to go wireless. I love the freedom that going wireless offers. The wireless version can also be connected to a USB port for wired use.

The warranty is one year limited hardware. One year of free technical support is also included.

I paid $89.99 for it at the online HP store. It is a great product for an affordable price.

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

With print, scan, copy and fax capability, the OfficeJet 4500 all-in-one printer is ideal for both your office and home printing needs. With a print s...