HP OfficeJet 6000 Standard Inkjet Printer Reviews

HP OfficeJet 6000 Standard Inkjet Printer

Don't blink, you'll miss it

Jul 28, 2009

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Fast, crisp printing, separate color cartridges.

Cons:Noisy, lots of printer head movement and jiggling.  No USB cable included.

The Bottom Line: If you're looking for an easy to use, no-nonsense printer, this is it.  Nothing fancy, but does a good job incredibly fast.

After many years of beating an old HP 930 printer half to death, we decided one good experience deserved another, so off we went to the local Office Depot.  After researching reviews, comments, and complaints online, we settled on an HP Officejet 6000.

The printer was packed very well and cushioned against damage.  Included in the box were the printer, power cord, installation CD, ink cartridges, and set up instructions.  No user manual was included, although it could easily be downloaded in a PDF format from the HP web site.

Set up was a breeze (because we realized beforehand it didn't come with a USB cable and we had to provide our own).  Installation disk seemed to run slowly and software took forever to install.  We followed directions to a "T" and hoped that we wouldn't have any problems.

When all was installed and set up, we turned it on and thought it was going to explode.  There was a lot of grinding and shaking and the printer head was moving all over the interior.  My heart sank and I actually looked at the clock to see if Office Depot was still open.  But once it stopped (the printer, not my heart, heh heh) we ran a test page and it printed in the blink of an eye, so all was functional.

Printing is clear, crisp, and incredibly fast.  Colors are sharp and true.  For the very few color photographs we have printed, we've noted that we have to set printer options to "best" print quality, or the color pics seem to come out a little grainy.  Color is still true regardless of which setting is used.  According to manufacturer, printer puts out 32 pages per minute (black) and 31 (color).  The 6000 is capable of borderless printing and boasts resolutions of 600 (black) and up to 4800 x 1200 (color).

There are four ink cartridges, #920, one black and three color.  The color standard size runs around $9 from HP and the XL runs $14 (Amazon) and a little less on eBay.  The standard size black on Amazon is $20 and the XL is $33.  The paper tray holds 250 sheets and can handle legal size.  Monthly duty cycle is rated at 7,000 pages!  According to HP, the black cartridge is good for about 400 pages and the color will put out 300.

We paid $69 at Office Depot.  Amazon has it for the same price (and free shipping).  HP also has it for $69 with free standard shipping.  Remember that no USB cable is included, and that will run you another $10 - 20, depending on the length of cable you require.

The printer itself is fairly large, 18 x 15 x 6.  It is considered a "workgroup" printer and has built-in ethernet networking.  Note:  This is NOT a wireless printer, although there is a wireless model available in this series.  It is also energy friendly and slips into power save, which causes the "on" button to blink slowly.

Overall, we're very pleased with our purchase.  And we're even getting used to the party the print head throws itself every time it gets ready to work.  But as long as the print quality and speed maintain, we're willing to overlook it.

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

The desktop HP Officejet 6000 wireless inkjet printer measures 19.5 inches wide by 8.2 inches high by 11.8 inches deep. The 18.4-lb HP Officejet print...