HP W19B 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor Reviews

HP W19B 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor

The ideal office monitor for me

Mar 6, 2008 (Updated Mar 6, 2008)

Pros:Nice resolution, large available display space, light weight

Cons:Not suited for hardcore gaming

The Bottom Line: It's an excellent monitor for an accountant working in an office.

I’ve had the HP w19 19 inch flat screen monitor on my office desk for several months now.

My day job is as a Controller for a major not for profit organization. The major applications I use the monitor for are:
Internet-based banking transactions
General ledger and accounts payables reports
EXCEL Documents
Microsoft Word documents
Internet web searches for information
The Internet work is using the Internet Explorer browser. Our internet vendor is providing T1 access. This monitor stands up to the speed and resolution requirements of my work.

And this monitor does each very well. It replaces a much heavier 19” monitor, so there is much more room on my desktop.

We have standardized on 19” monitors in the treasury department (where I am housed) in our organization because they can reduce eyestrain by allowing larger fonts and because more information can get on the screen.

The settings on my display include:
Max resolution (1440 x 900 dpi) This is the default resolution at a 60 Hz refresh rate
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Series graphics card
500:1 contrast ratio
Large Fonts

And these settings have worked very well for me in my office work. I have tried normal fonts, but those have been difficult and straining to see because I need readng glasses at this point in my life. Occasionally, I’ll take the screen size resolution inside Word or Excel to 150%, but I usually don’t need to do that.

Now, I have very little work that requires viewing videos or animation. Occasionally, I will look at a video speech or webinar. There have been no problem with flickering or an inability to appropriately display the animation. I have also observed that the non-glare screen helps me to perform my job duties appropriately.

Having the size really helps when I have to shift between applications, such as EXCEL and general ledger reports or Word and EXCEL, or .PDF reports and one of the others. I am often comparing source data to reports and this screen has enough room to handle it correctly. The screen size also means that I have less need to scroll within documents.
There are menu controls for brightness, contrast, input source (digital at our place), language and information. I use the defaults and they have worked well. The buttons are located on the lower part of the left border.

I’ve been using the default viewing angle which is 150 degrees vertical. I have had no need to change it. It is adjustable by -5 to 20 degrees from the default.

Other specs include:
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor
Display:Anti-glare, anti-static
Dimensions: 17.32 x 8.46 x 14.02 in
Border: silver

So, this monitor meets my office needs well and I can recommend it. Street price seems to be in the 200s, although we have a volume deal with HP and paid a bit less.

Obviously, better resolution, faster refreshes and a more powerful graphics card would be needed for heavy-duty gaming or animation work. This monitor is not geared to that. My work isn’t, either.

Thanks for reading. God bless!

Please check out the following related reviews:
Verbatim CDR media 100-pack spindle
D-Link DUB-H7 7-port USB2 hub
D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624 Wireless Router
Maxtor 5000 Personal Storage 160GB External Hard Drive

Operating System: Windows

HP 20 LCD Widescreen Monitor (W2072a)

HP 20 LCD Widescreen Monitor (W2072a)

The stylish, affordable HP W2072a LCD Widescreen Monitor offers everyone the chance to enjoy everyday computing in a whole new light. The HP 20 LCD Wi...

HP W2072a Black 20 5ms Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Monitor Built-in

HP W2072a Black 20 5ms Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Monitor Built-in

D-Sub 1 DVI 1 Stand Adjustments Tilt -5 to + 19 degrees Built-in Speakers 1 Watt/Ch Recommended Resolution 1600 x 900 Pixel Pitch 0.277mm Display Colo...
Newegg.com

VE278Q Widescreen LCD Monitor

VE278Q Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus VE278Q 27 1920 x 1080 10000000:1 Widescreen LED Monitor
Asus - 23 Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black

Asus - 23 Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black

Bring your movies, games and graphics to life with this high-definition LCD monitor that features a 50,000,000:1 contrast ratio and up to 250 cd/m bri...
Best Buy

MX239H Widescreen LCD Monitor

MX239H Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus MX239H 23 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms
HP - LV2311 23 LCD Monitor - LED Backlit, 1920x1080, 1000:1; Dynamic 1,0, LCD Monitors 23

HP LV2311 23' LCD Monitor - A6B85A9#ABA Say hello to an all-new, all-affordable 23-inch diagonal monitor with style, performance and reliability wrapp...
TigerDirect.com

t DS-1900WA - LCD monitor - 19

t DS-1900WA - LCD monitor - 19

DoubleSight DS-1900WA - LCD monitor - 19 - 1440 x 900 - TN - 300 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 5 ms - DVI-D VGA - speakers
PCM

19 Widescreen Dual Monitor with Flex Stand

19 Widescreen Dual Monitor with Flex Stand

4:3 Aspect Ratio 1000:1 Contrast Ratio 1440 x 900 Resolution 160/160 Degrees H/V Viewing Angle 300 cd/m2 Brightness
MacMall