Hill's Hills A/D Recovery Diet for Cats 24X 5.5 OZ case (NEWITEM143772947) Reviews

Hill's Hills A/D Recovery Diet for Cats 24X 5.5 OZ case (NEWITEM143772947)

Really Helped Our Cat: Hill's A/D Recovery Diet For Cats AND Dogs

May 25, 2009 (Updated May 25, 2009)

Pros:Our cat would eat it while sick; seemed to help cat get better; pull-top lid

Cons:Smell

The Bottom Line: Our cat would eat this food (but not her regular food) when she was sick. I think this food really helped her to improve quickly.

**Note: This product's listing states that this is the A/D Recovery Diet for Cats, but there is no A/D Recovery Diet just for cats. It's actually A/D Recovery Diet Canine/Feline. There is no A/D Recovery for just cats.**

Several weeks ago, one of our two cats stopped eating and drinking and sounded very congested. She seemed like she was having a hard time breathing and was sneezing constantly. Our cats' regular vet was closed, so I took her to our dog's vet (yes, our cats and dog have different vets). She was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and a tracheal infection. She stayed overnight one night and was sent home the next day with two meds and three cans of Hill's A/D Recovery Diet Canine/Feline. I'm glad that we got this food, because while I'm not a fan of the Science Diet brand (Hill's and Science Diet are basically the same company), this is the only thing I could get her to eat when she wasn't feeling well.

Product Details:

Hill's Science Diet A/D Recovery Diet -  Canine/Feline is a prescription-only, wet, canned food for cats and dogs recovering from serious illness or injury. It is meant for temporary use only. It is formulated to add the nutrients and energy sources to the animal's diet to help it recover from the illness or injury.

The food comes in a typical cat food can, which is flat and round. It has a white label and a picture of a dog and a cat. It has a pull-top lid, so you don't need a can opener. The can holds 5.5 oz. of food. Any unused portion should be covered and refrigerated. There is an expiration date printed on the bottom of each can.

From HillsPet.com: For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery
Both dogs and cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean body mass (in other words, they may be losing body weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect recovery. Prescription Diet® a/d® Canine/Feline pet food has been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be fed to dogs or cats in these situations. These conditions can be helped by adding the key nutrients and digestible energy found in Prescription Diet® a/d®. The nutritional formulation of Prescription Diet® a/d® may also be useful for pets with a variety of conditions.

Ingredients (taken from HillsPet.com):

Water, Pork Liver, Poultry Liver, Chicken, Corn Flour, Pork Protein Isolate, Fish Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

My Experience:

I really didn't want to feed our cat, Halo, a Hill's product because the Science Diet brand contains too many by-products for my liking. However, she wasn't eating her normal, all-natural dry food and the vet told me that it was likely that she was so congested that she couldn't smell her regular food and that cats need to be able to smell what they are eating, otherwise they will not eat it. I was desperate to get her to eat, so I happily took this prescription-only food home  and immediately opened it upon arriving home with Halo.

Both the texture and the smell of the Hill's A/D Recovery Diet grossed me out a bit. The texture looked like ground liver and other disgusting things, and the smell was like roadkill. Disgusting on both accounts. But hey - I needed my cat to eat. I didn't get any directions from the vet on how to feed this wet food to her, so I put about half of one of the cans on a paper plate and put her in the basement to eat the food and be away from our dog and other cat.

I went back down to the basement about two hours later to check on her. By this time, she'd already been on antibiotics that the vet had given to her since the day before, plus the antibiotics that she'd been given that morning. So she was probably well on her way to feeling better. But what I was thrilled about was that she had eaten nearly all of that half of a can of Hill's A/D Recovery Diet! She hadn't eaten in several days and I was so worried about her health and her strength. She hadn't eaten all of the food, but she ate most of it and had moved the paper plate around the basement floor, probably because it moved as she licked the plate.

Later that day, I threw away what she hadn't eaten and gave her a little bit more - about half of the remaining half of a can, or about 1/4 of a can. I left it there for her along with her normal dry cat food and of course, fresh water. When I went back down to see her the next morning, she had eaten all of it. She seemed so much better and like she had really improved from the lethargic, congested cat she was just two days earlier.

Over the next five days or so, I gave her 1/4 of a can of the Hill's A/D Recovery Diet food each day and left that for her to eat along with her regular dry cat food. Each day she ate all of the Hill's A/D Recovery Diet food and some of her regular dry cat food. I was happy that she was eating both. I wanted to take several days to get the Hill's A/D Recovery Diet ingredients into her system.

I used just two cans of the Hill's A/D Recovery Diet food and kept the third can for the next time I need her (or one of our other pets) to eat in a pinch. I think it's important to get directions from the vet on how to feed your cat the Hill's A/D Recovery Diet food (which I didn't do), but if you don't happen to get those directions, it's probably best to feed this food to the cat or dog until it's gone. It did seem to make our cat feel better, and it made ME feel better that she was finally eating. I'm sure it's packed with ingredients that are good for a cat or dog while it's sick. I'm keeping one can on hand just in case I need it and can't get to the vet the day that my cat or dog is sick or the day after. The expiration date is almost a year from now, so I will keep it on hand until I need to use it or until the expiration date comes.

I recommend this cat/dog food overall, and if your vet gives it to you, don't hesitate to take it unless money is very tight. I would definitely feed this to our cat again, and would feed it to our other cat and our dog as well if they were to become sick.

Price and Purchasing Information:

Hill's A/D Recovery Diet
is available only from a vet. I can't remember how much I paid for the three cans of this food, but I'm sure it was well over the cost of a regular can of cat food.

Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Critical Care Dog & Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24

Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Critical Care Dog & Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24

Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Canine/Feline Critical Care Canned Dog & Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24; Prescription Diet a/d is formulated with the follo...
Chewy.com

Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Feline Urinary Tract Health with Ocean Fish Canned Food 24/5.5-oz cans

Help your furry feline recover from and prevent urinary tract problems with Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Feline Urinary Tract Health with Oc...
Pet360.com

Hill's Prescription Diet n/d Canine  - 12x12.7oz

Hill's Prescription Diet n/d Canine - 12x12.7oz

For nutritional support of dogs undergoing chemotherapy Dogs going under chemotherapy have special nutritional requirements. Because their bodies have...
Wag.com

Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12

Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health Canned Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12; Prescription Diet i/d is formulated with the following...

The MS Recovery Diet by Ann Sawyer

The MS Recovery Diet by Ann Sawyer

Free Delivery Worldwide : The MS Recovery Diet : Paperback : Avery Publishing Group Inc.,U.S. : 9781583332887 : 158333288X : 21 Feb 2008 : The MS Reco...
BookDepository.com

The MS Recovery Diet eBook

The MS Recovery Diet eBook

Buy The MS Recovery Diet by Ann Sawyer, Judith Bachrach and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Ove...
Kobo eBooks

Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health Dry Dog Food, 8.5-lb bag; Prescription Diet® i/d® is formulated with the following benefit...

Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat GI Restore Canine Dry Food 8.5-lb bag

Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat GI Restore Canine Dry Food 8.5-lb bag

Your dog needs a healthy digestive system for a multitude of reasons that include keeping up his/her energy levels and maintaining the ability to buil...
Pet360.com

Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Canine/Feline Critical Care - 24x5.5oz

Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Canine/Feline Critical Care - 24x5.5oz

For the nutritional support of pets recovering from serious illness, accident and surgeryCats and dogs can undergo significant metabolic changes when ...
Wag.com