Hillshire Farm Deli Select Turkey Sliced 6oz

Meet the Meat

Apr 15, 2008 (Updated Apr 15, 2008)

Pros:Inexpensive, easy to use in sandwiches.

Cons:Not much flavor, wasteful packaging.

The Bottom Line: The Bottom Line carves meat directly off the haunch. White or dark?

This will probably come as a huge surprise to you, but not every day is gourmet meal day at my house. Much of the time, in fact, I’m too lazy to do anything that falls under “cooking,” or to combine more than three ingredients together into a final edible product. Those are the nights of Cereal for Dinner, or Dim Sum Leftovers (i.e., not enough of each kind for a full meal), or, yes, Lunch Meat Sandwich. I’m sure the folks at Hillshire Farm would be proud to know that they are enabling my weeknight laziness.

I can’t pretend that I have strong feelings for lunch meat – I don’t think anyone does. But I tend to buy Hillshire Farms because it’s inexpensive and it seems to be okay quality. Deli Select is thin-sliced lunch meat, and they have several different flavors, including a couple of kinds of turkey lunch meat, but they pretty much all taste the same to me. They certainly look the same, whatever type of animal they claim to have originally hailed from. There’s not much meaty texture – it’s pretty processed, and bears the same resemblance to actual turkey meat that a Pringle does to a potato chip.

Their packaging isn’t great – it’s not very efficient. The outer wrapper is a cardboard sleeve, which serves no purpose, and inside that is a plastic bag. The cardboard sleeve immediately goes in the recycling, because it does nothing. The bag is actually kind of annoying, because it doesn’t have a recloseable zip-lock slider, so you can’t keep the meat in there – it has to go inside your own larger zip-lock bag, or into a Tupperware-type container with a lid. Now that recloseable plastic bags are pretty much ubiquitous, it surprises me that they won’t spring for the extra few cents needed to actually make the bag functional for the life of the product. As it is, you have to transfer it to your own container right away or risk it drying out and curling up at the edges – yuck.

A 6 oz package costs around $2, and there are enough slices of meat in there for several sandwiches. Combined with some other toppings and a healthy wheat bread, you can actually make a pretty nutritious and good-tasting sandwich out of it, with minimal effort (yay!). A guy friend of mine also eats lunch meat straight out of the package as a snack, which seems gross to me, but I guess you could do that too. I don’t love their lunch meat, but it’s a good thing to keep around in the fridge in case of meal emergencies, or when you just need something quick to eat to keep going.

This doesn't directly relate to their lunch meat, but this Hillshire Farms commercial, I think, clearly shows their enthusiasm for meaty lunches, and so I am including it for your edification: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HETAnq5s58g

Serving Size 6 slices (57g)
Servings Per Container about 2.5
Total Carbohydrates 1g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars less than 1g
Protein 10g

INGREDIENTS: turkey breast, water, modified corn starch, contains 2% or less of: turkey flavor (salt, maltodextrin, natural flavoring), salt, dextrose, carrageenan, sodium lactate, sodium phosphate, sodium diacetate, sodium nitrite.

Lands' End, Hillshire Farms Insulated Lunch Bag -

Lands' End, Hillshire Farms Insulated Lunch Bag -

Lands' End, Hillshire Farms Insulated Lunch Bag - NEW Condition:New $7.95 Item #0795LANDSENDLUNCHBAGRED Shipping $2.95 to the 48 contiguous states USA...

Hillshire Farm Yard-O-Beef - 3lbs

Hillshire Farm Yard-O-Beef - 3lbs

Hillshire Farm Beef Summer Sausage is made with quality cuts of beef, naturally hardwood smoked for a consistent excellent flavor.
Hillshire Farms Natural Smoked Turkey 8 oz

Hillshire Farms Natural Smoked Turkey 8 oz

Find deli meats and platters at Target.com! Hillshire farms natural smoked turkey 8 oz

Hillshire Farm Beef Summer Sausage 16 Oz

Hillshire Farm Beef Summer Sausage 16 Oz

Hillshire Farm Beef Summer Sausage

Hillshire Farms All Natural Roasted Turkey 8 oz

Hillshire Farms All Natural Roasted Turkey 8 oz

Find deli meats and platters at Target.com! Hillshire farms all natural roasted turkey 8 oz

Hillshire Farms All Natural Honey Ham 8 oz

Hillshire Farms All Natural Honey Ham 8 oz

Find deli meats and platters at Target.com! Hillshire farms all natural honey ham 8 oz

Hillshire Farms All Natural Black Forest Ham 8 oz

Hillshire Farms All Natural Black Forest Ham 8 oz

Find deli meats and platters at Target.com! Hillshire farms all natural black forest ham 8 oz

Hillshire Honey Mustard Chicken Dipper 3.25oz

Hillshire Honey Mustard Chicken Dipper 3.25oz

Find meat and poultry at Target.com! Hillshire honey mustard chicken dipper 3.25oz