Homedics Powerdent Sparkle Battery Operated Power Toothbrush Pt 5rh

Put it on spin cycle and it sparkles in the mirror!

Jan 24, 2005 (Updated Jan 28, 2005)

Pros:Replaceable brushes, flashing light for interest, auto on

Cons:Head breaks off easily

The Bottom Line: Is worth considering for $6.00 if this is your style of toothbrush.

The children each received a HoMedics Powerdent Sparkle Battery Operated Power Toothbrush this year with their presents. Each child has their own color, blue, teal, and light blue respectively. I will review what each child thinks of their toothbrush below.

About the brush
The toothbrush is made by HoMedics which I found odd. I typically try to get a brand like Colgate or Crest because I figure they know what they are doing. I have been happy with many of my HoMedics products in the past so I gave it a fair try.

I figured this was a cheap disposable toothbrush like ones that we tried in the past but this one is a little different because the head of the brush is replaceable so you can change the brush once it wears down. I have found with other battery-operated toothbrushes that the heads war down long before the toothbrush gives out so I find this to be a very big plus.

The toothbrush comes in a variety of colors suitable for male or female. The base is clear see-through plastic which allows you to see the batteries and components inside. There are raised bumps for your thumb, forefinger, and other fingers to naturally rest on. Holding the toothbrush is very comfortable and should not slip out of your hand. My children do not have any problems grasping the handle.

There is an on/off switch which can be left on at all times because the toothbrush will not spin without pressure to the head. When the toothbrush is in action colorful red, yellow, or green lights flicker. The flickering takes up about one inch of the toothbrush and is just above the fingers. You will see the flickering in the mirror. This is where the "sparkle" comes from in the product name.

The toothbrush claims to have a pressure-sensitive feature that knows when you’re pressing too hard. I have not really seen that in action so don’t know what to say about that. Perhaps that would be handy for rough brushers.

The head is angled slightly and has a tiny brush on the tip of the head that goes around in a circular motion when it is pressed against the teeth.

This requires 2 AAA batteries which are included. To get to the batteries, twist the bottom of the container with a coin. We have not needed to replace our batteries yet.

Our experience
My 11-year-old was interested in the toothbrush but not overly thrilled of course he does not like to brush anyway. He has had electric toothbrushes in the past but I found them to be loud, annoying, and costly so I have not purchased any in awhile. I think he would be more interested in the toothbrush if it had a picture of a hero on it.

My 5-year-old likes her purple toothbrush however she prefers her princess toothbrush better. I suspect if we put a princess sticker on this we would have a new favorite. She uses the HoMedics toothbrush in the evening and likes the way it tickles. Sometimes I help her brush her teeth because she doesn’t always do a quality job. I am able to brush her teeth a lot easier with the HoMedics toothbrush, she will stand still and allow me to use it on all of her teeth. She does not allow me to brush her teeth at all with a traditional toothbrush.

The toothbrushes are probably not suitable for 2-year-olds but mine has one because everyone else does. She uses her to wash the windows with. She will not allow it in her mouth, she prefers a traditional toothbrush. The only thing that she has to say about the toothbrush is, "It tickles."

I find these to be more sanitary than a traditional toothbrush. They can stand on their own upright with ease. If I remember correctly I think there was a thin cover for the lid but those are long gone now. This will not fit in a traditional toothbrush holder.

Durability?
I am not sure what kind of pressure sensor it has but our brush attachment has already broken off. The bottom of the plastic is still on the base. I am the one who broke the toothbrush by accident; I was barely pushing on it when it snapped. Luckily the heads are replaceable. The other two brushes are working just fine so perhaps it was just one of those things. I really think that something going into your mouth should be more durable. I do not want a toothbrush that will break off in my kids mouth. There was a little piece of plastic and a rubber ring that was on it which dislodged when it broke.

Price
These toothbrushes retail for $6-$15. I am not sure how much replacement heads cost but I suppose I will be looking into that next.

Overall
It is difficult to recommend a product that broke after just 2 weeks. I have never had a toothbrush of any kind break before. I suppose if it increases the likelihood that a person brushes than it is worth the price. I am still not sure what age group these are marketed for. My kids prefer toothbrushes with fun characters and the flashing lights are a little gaudy for adults.

I will buy replacement heads and batteries for the ones that we already have but in general I probably would not buy this product again.

Homedics Pm-50 Hand Held Mini Massager With Hand Grip Battery Operated

Homedics Pm-50 Hand Held Mini Massager With Hand Grip Battery Operated

Homedics PM-50 Hand Held Mini Massager with Hand Grip Battery Operated

Homedics Pm-50 Hand Held Mini Massager With Hand Grip, Battery Operated

Homedics Pm-50 Hand Held Mini Massager With Hand Grip, Battery Operated

Homedics PM-50 Hand Held Mini Massager with Hand Grip, Battery Operated (Color May Vary) Free Expedited Shipping Through Christmas! Return Policies We...

Homedics HHP-350 Percussion Action Massager

Homedics HHP-350 Percussion Action Massager

The HoMedics percussion action massager works for your entire body. Dual pivoting heads with variable speed control provide superior massage experienc...
Homedics Thera-P Paraffin Wax Refill, 2lbs

Homedics Thera-P Paraffin Wax Refill, 2lbs

Replenish your Homedics Thera-P Paraffin Wax Bath with easy and convenient 1-lb packages of Homedics Thera-P Paraffin Wax Refills. Two 1-lb bags are i...

HoMedics Percussion Action Handheld Massager-No Size,

HoMedics Percussion Action Handheld Massager-No Size,

This HoMedics Percussion Action Handheld Massager features dual pivoting heads and an ergonomic handle to bring relaxation wherever you need it most. ...
BeallsFlorida.com

Homedics Power Neck And Shoulder Massage Cushion. Adjustable To Fit Neck

Homedics Power Neck And Shoulder Massage Cushion. Adjustable To Fit Neck

New in box Homedics power neck and shoulder massage cushion . Adjustable to fit your neck. Two settings; Invigorating Massage and Soothing Heat. Each ...

HoMedics PERCUSSION MASSAGER COMPACT HHP-100

HoMedics PERCUSSION MASSAGER COMPACT HHP-100

PERCUSSION MASSAGER COMPACT HHP-100

Massager Homedics Percussion Action Vibrate Message Speed Control Hand Held

Massager Homedics Percussion Action Vibrate Message Speed Control Hand Held

Homedics Percussion Action Massager Hand Held The homedics percussion action massager works for your entire body. Dual pivoting heads with variable sp...

Homedics Hhp-350 Percussion Action Massager By Homedics

Homedics Hhp-350 Percussion Action Massager By Homedics

HoMedics HHP-350 Percussion Action Massager Percussion action massage for the entire body Dual pivoting heads Variable speed control Three custom mass...