Homax 20OZ Dry Texture Spray

Homax Spray Spackle

May 1, 2008

Pros:Very easy to use and customize. Dries fast.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: What a time and money saver this product has been. If you have a small amount of sheetrock to spackle, I recommend this!

If you have done any remodeling, you have probably faced the problem of having to add some texturing to walls and ceilings. We purchased a 20 ounce of Spray Texture, made by a company called Homax a couple of years ago to help us deal with this kind of problem.

This has come in handy very recently, in two instances which I'll tell you about. It saved us a ton of work and money!

Description

This can is white with a red lid, and contains 20 ounces of spray texture. The can says that this can be used for patching orange peel and splatter type drywall textures, and it pictures three different ways to use it.

The can comes with three color coded straws that fit into the nozzle. The yellow straw is for fine splatter, the red is for medium, and the blue straw is for heavy splatter. The straws are different sizes in diameter, allowing more spackle to come out of the can, thus different levels of coverage.

The front of the can shows unpainted sheetrock covered in all three of these textures. It also states that it contains no fluorcarbons and that it dries in minutes.

Directions

After shaking the can vigorously for one minute, you remove the nozzle, insert the straw of your choice into it, and put the nozzle back onto the can. The manufacturer suggests that you practice spraying on cardboard to determine the straw you will want to use to achieve the desired coverage.

You need to hold the can 2 feet away from your drywall, and spray with a sweeping motion. When you are finished, there is a way to clear the nozzle to prevent clogging for your next usage. You hold the can upside down and spray it until the texture is cleared.

If you are using a fine texture, more spray can be added after you have let it sit for a half an hour. If you are using heavier texture, obviously this will take longer to dry.

Coverage

One 20 ounce can will cover up to 110 square feet with the fine spray, 60 square feet with the medium splatter, and 24 square feet if you use the heavy splatter blue straw.

Thoughts

This sure comes in handy for small jobs around the home. We recently replaced a 23 year old light fixture, and when we pulled it down from the ceiling, there was a round indentation in the sheetrock, as this light was installed completely flush against the ceiling.

I was able to spray around the sheetrock to fill in these small areas, then when it dried we luckily had a small amount of paint leftover from when we painted a couple of years ago.

The second way we used this product was when we unexpectedly had a problem in one of our upstairs bedrooms. We just finished having a new roof installed, and I noticed that the sheetrock in this bedroom was bulging, and three nails were sticking out about 1/2" into the room.

When the roofers were working, they removed plywood from the roof to check on two hot spots we had. Snow was melting in these areas, and we suspected there was a problem with insulation. Well there was! And it cost us $2000 to have urethane insulation blown in, some of the insulation had been duct taped in place and had fallen over. Simply unbelievable (but that's another topic!).

My roofer suggested that either too much insulation was sprayed in, or one of his guys stepped onto the sheetrock, breaking it. He replaced it for me the next day, and after two days it was taped and mudded. It was a small area, so I sprayed the drywall with this Homax Dry Texture Spray, and painted over it, and it actually blended in quite well.

This stuff is messy, it sprays out to the sides as well as straight ahead, so if you are going to use it, be sure and cover up the surrounding area because it can stain if it isn't cleaned up quickly. If it does get on furniture, carpeting or clothing, you can clean it up with paint thinner, but it's best to cover up first so you don't have to mess with this!

There really isn't too much smell associated with this product, it smells similar to sheetrock mud, which isn't too strong. True to their claim, it does dry fairly fast, so what smell is there usually dissipates by the time it's dry. We open some windows to allow for good ventilation as well when using this product.

This comes in three sizes, 10, 20 and 25 ounce cans, and they all look identical except for the height and width of the can. The 20 ounce can is the contractor size.

In Summary

Homax makes repairing small portions of sheetrock or drywall quite easy. It's so much easier than renting a sprayer and spraying the mud onto the walls, especially when you are working on a small area!

This product is handy to have around the home. We've had this can for a couple of years, and it's still in great shape and hasn't gotten hard or old over time. If you have a small area of wall to repair, I highly recommend giving this product a try.

The 20 ounce can retails for about $10, and can be found at home centers such as Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Homax 4050 10 Oz Aerosol Spray Texture Oil Base

Homax 4050 10 Oz Aerosol Spray Texture Oil Base

Oil base Our original oil-based spray texture is the fastest and easiest way to patch, orange-peal and splatter drywall textures Matches a wide variet...

Homax 8322 2.3 Quarts Orange Peel Spray Texture

Homax 8322 2.3 Quarts Orange Peel Spray Texture

Premixed wall and ceiling texture Ready to use bottle that acts as a hopper Bottle snaps directly onto any Homax spray texture gun 2.3 quarts
Homax 8 Oz Goo Gonegg12,

Homax 8 Oz Goo Gonegg12,

Homax 8 Oz Goo Gone GG12 Click Thumbnails to Enlarge A plastic bottle of liquid adhesive that removes grease, gum, stickers, crayon and tape. Contains...

Homax 8 Oz Goo Gone Gg12

Homax 8 Oz Goo Gone Gg12

A plastic bottle of liquid adhesive that removes grease, gum, stickers, crayon and tape. Contains 8 fluid ounces. Has a citrus power smell. Danger: Co...

Homax 5011484 24oz Gel Spray Pro Power Citrus Goo Gone Cleaner Sale 0322024

Homax 5011484 24oz Gel Spray Pro Power Citrus Goo Gone Cleaner Sale 0322024

GOO GONE 24 OUNCE CLEANER CRAYON AND GREASE REMOVER GREAT SALE PRICE!!!WE WILL ALSO COMBINE SHIPPING AND SHIP EACH ADDITIONAL BOTTLE FOR 2.00 SHIPPING...

Homax 16-oz. Wall Color Change WaterBased Spray Texture 4096-06-06

Homax 16-oz. Wall Color Change WaterBased Spray Texture 4096-06-06

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. With a water-based formula, the Homax Products 16 oz. Color-Changing Aerosol Spray Texture goes on blue for high vis...
Home Depot

Lot Of 2 - Homax Appliance Touch Up - Almond - 5554

Lot Of 2 - Homax Appliance Touch Up - Almond - 5554

Lot of 2 - Homax Appliance Touch Up color: Almond model: 5554 Can withstand heat up to 400 degrees Specially formulated enamel paint works on metal, p...

6 Homax 5302 2 Pk Cinchtite Crocodile Tarp Fastening Clips W Powerful Jaw Grip

6 Homax 5302 2 Pk Cinchtite Crocodile Tarp Fastening Clips W Powerful Jaw Grip

Lot sale of (6) new CinchTite 2 pack Tarp Fastening Clips by Homax Products (total of 12 clips) # 5302 item 871244 Quantity of (6) 2 packs: CinchTite ...