Horizon Shelf Stable Organic Milk, 2 Percent, 8 Oz Packages (Pack Of 18)

It's Not A Juice Box, It's A Milk Box

Aug 31, 2008 (Updated Aug 31, 2008)

Pros:Organic, no refrigeration needed, healthier than juice, easy to transport.

Cons:Can be expensive

The Bottom Line: 8 ounces of organic milk in a box.  Yum!

We first purchased Horizon Organic milk boxes a couple of months ago when my one-year-old daughter was still drinking bottles. After her first birthday, she was drinking regular milk from a cup during the day, but she was still taking one bottle at night. She was rather particular about not liking cold beverages in her bottle, so we accomdated this by using room temperature water and powdered formula or the 8 oz ready to drink bottles.

However, formula is more expensive than milk, and we began looking for an alternative not too long after her first birthday. We decided to try the Horizon milk boxes. This worked out wonderfully. Because they don't require refrigeration, we could serve them at room temperature. This became out solution until she gave up that nighttime bottle suddenly a couple of weeks later, but there are still many uses.

To begin with, our daughter drinks about two cups of milk a day but taking our own milk when we go out and about can be problematic especially without refrigeration. It's great to grab a box of milk and toss it in the lunchbox. My daughter is learning to drink juice and milk out of the box, so we don't always have to use her cup when we are out and about!

Each box holds 8 ounces of milk . The box that the milk comes in looks just like a juice box, except it is much taller than the typical juice box. Each box comes with a special straw that extends to make it long enough to drink from the juice box.

The shelf life is fairly long. I think we bought some of the cases in June, and they do not expire until October.

And best of all, the milk is organic. We do buy non-organic milk, but I like that the milk in these boxes is organic. I also like that I know where the milk is coming from. Sometimes in restaurants, the milk can sit out in the kitchen or it can be past its expiration date. We had an incident regarding old milk from a restaurant once, and needless to say, I am very concerned about the source of the milk my daughter drinks and milk boxes are a great way to keep track of what she is drinking.

I have seen the large cases of 18 milk boxes in BJs for $13.99. I have also seen the cases at Whole Foods; they are a little more expensive there ($16, perhaps?), but we happened to be there when they had a promotional offer for $6 off, which brought the price down significantly. I have also seen three packs of the milk boxes at Wal-Mart, but buying them in bulk proved to be more economical.

I highly recommend the case of Horizon milk boxes. They do come in chocolate milk and vanilla milk, but we have only purchased the plain lowfat variety. I love that the milk is organic and shelf stable and that I know where it comes from. My daughter loves to drink it, and it was a nice alternative to formula when she was still on the bottle.

Horizon Organic Milk Low Fat 1% DHA Omega3, Vanilla At least 95% Organic 3/6/8floz

Organic Pack Of 18 Horizon Low Fat Milk Vanilla 8oz Aseptic Cartons Food Bar Kit

Product Details: Horizon Organic Low Fat Milk, Vanilla, 8-Ounce Aseptic Cartons (Pack of 18) Horizon Organic Low fat vanilla milk provides a great-tas...

Organic Pack Of 18 Horizon Low Fat Milk Chocolate 8oz Aseptic Cartons Food Bar

Organic Pack Of 18 Horizon Low Fat Milk Chocolate 8oz Aseptic Cartons Food Bar

Product Details: Horizon Organic Low Fat Milk, Chocolate, 8-Ounce Aseptic Cartons (Pack of 18) Horizon Organic Low fat Chocolate Milk provides a great...

Non-Fat Dry Milk, Organic Non-Instant 12 Ounce

Non-Fat Dry Milk, Organic Non-Instant 12 Ounce

NOW Certified Organic Non-Fat Dry Milk has a superior taste compared to commercial instant dry milk powders. Our non-instant powder has a shorter past...
NutritionGeeks. com

Shelf Stable Breakfast Food Variety Case Including Yogurt Granola Milk + Fruits

Shelf Stable Breakfast Food Variety Case Including Yogurt Granola Milk + Fruits

Yogurt Variety Case Shipping Policies FAQ About Us Future Essentials Presents Case of Canned Breakfast Variety Future Essentials is proud to introduce...

Organic Milk Thistle Tea Caffeine Free - 24 Tea Bags
VitaminMom

Alvita Tea Organic Milk Thistle Tea-24   Tea Bags

Alvita Tea Organic Milk Thistle Tea-24 Tea Bags

From the Manufacturer:Alvita Organic Milk Thistle Tea is made with premium-quality, organic milk thistle seeds, and has a pleasantly delicate flavor.
Puritan's PrideŽ

Organic Valley - Organic Whole Milk 12 x 8 oz. Cartons

Organic Valley - Organic Whole Milk 12 x 8 oz. Cartons

Organic Valley - Organic Whole Milk 12 x 8 oz. Cartons (236 mL each)Organic Valley Organic Whole Milk is a lunchbox classic! Organic Valley's deliciou...
LuckyVitamin.com

California Farms Organic Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz

California Farms Organic Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz

Find milk and cream at Target.com! California farms organic sweetened condensed milk 14 oz