Hostess Powdered Donuts 1 pkg (Hostess) Reviews

Hostess Powdered Donuts 1 pkg (Hostess)

Tastier than toast

Feb 8, 2012 (Updated Feb 8, 2012)

Pros:My favorite for a powdered cake donette.  Very moist.

Cons:Doesn’t satisfy hunger.

The Bottom Line:

Tasty and fresh.  Everyone in my home likes the powdered mini donuts.

My daughter has been requesting donuts from the grocery store the last three weeks.  I told her I would get some if they were on sale and fresh gambling that would never happen.  Low and behold, all of the donuts were on sale on grocery day with awesome dates so I had a decision.  I chose the Hostess Powdered Mini Donuts (also called donettes, gems, or sweet sixteen) by the eney, meeny, miny, moe process.

Not a healthy choice of course, so when we do get them they better taste delicious.  One of the most important qualities of a donut to me is freshness.  The bag is advertised as “sealed for freshness!”.  Most donuts come in a box with a lid that never stays shut.  These donuts come in what looks like a white paper bag with a window, but it’s a heavy duty glossy tear-resistant bag.  It closes with several folds and a built-in clip that for a tight closure.

The donuts are the traditional cake style donuts and dusted with powdered sugar.  The powdered sugar stays on the donut well but there’s a little bit that comes off on fingers and clothes but just dusts right off.  It’s more of a two-bite donut, but it’s possible to eat it in one bite.  The donut is very moist with the flavor and texture I expected for a mini donut.

On the down side, the serving size is only 3 mini donuts for 230 calories and the list of ingredients take up half the bag and include things I’ve never heard of before and no-no ingredients like hydrogenated oils.  The serving size alone is 30% of the daily saturated fat for the day and that’s for an adult.

Three mini donuts unfortunately is not enough to fill any of us up at home. It’s also not a very good way to start the day if that’s all that’s eaten so we have this as a dessert, or if it is eaten at breakfast with other food.

Overall

The donettes don’t make a healthy or satisfying breakfast, but our kids go nuts for them and will choose them over most desserts.  I prefer the bag over the box, and I am happy with the flavor and freshness of the donuts.  I’ll choose these over similar donuts in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the package:

Ingredients:  Enriched wheat flour and B vitamins, dextrose, vegetable shortening, water, sugar.  Contains 2% or less of:  nonfat milk, soy flour, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, aluminum sulfate, sodium aluminum phosphate), egg yolks, salt, soy lecithin, modified wheat starch, mono an diglycerides, tapioca dextrin, corn dextrin, guar gum, karaya gum, cornstarch, cellulose gum, enzymes, modified corn starch, citric acit, wheat starch, partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening, titanium dioxide (color), extracts of annatto and turmeric (color), natural and artificial flavors, sorbic acid and sodium propionate and potassium sorbate and calcium propionate (to retain freshness).

Nutritional facts per serving size:
Calories:  230; Fat: 12g  (saturated 6g, trans 0); Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium:  230mg; total Fat: 12g; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 2g. Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.

Hosted Powered Mini Donuts. You get 3 Bags (that are pictured) at 14.07oz per bag that has 28 frosted mini donuts per bag for a total of 84 donuts tot...
The Candy City