Nestle Hot Pockets Pepperoni Pizza

Feb 27, 2012

Pros:Quick, easy to cook snack, good taste, goes on sale often, easy to find coupons.

Cons:High in fat, sodium, and calories. Eat with caution because filling can be hot.

The Bottom Line: Recommended in moderation because of high sodium, fat, and calorie count. These are a quick, easy, tasty meal or snack, although I wish they contained less calories, fat and sodium.

I like to keep a few foods handy for quick, easy meals. It is nice to have something available that can just be tossed in the microwave and it is ready to eat. Hot Pockets are one such food that I keep on hand because they are great for a quick lunch or snack on the go.

One flavor that my family enjoys is Hot Pockets Pepperoni Pizza. These pockets contain a nice mix of pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese, all wrapped up in a crust. There are also many other varieties to choose from including several flavors of Lean Pockets and Croissant Pockets. Each 9 ounce box contains two individually wrapped pockets so you can enjoy as much or as little as you want. To heat these, remove the pocket from the cellophane wrapper and slide it into the included crisper sleeve. You can place one or two on a plate in your microwave for a couple of minutes and they are done. I have found that it is often best to wait a minute or two before eating, because the filling can sometimes be too hot.

Using the crisper sleeve to microwave these makes the outside a bit crispy without being hard. Cooked without the sleeve, will make them less crispy. These cook nicely in the microwave one or two at a time. You could also cook them in an oven or toaster oven for larger groups. I have never cooked mine this way, but it may not be practical to cook large quantities of them individually.

As for the taste, I have been quite pleased with them. Although I'm sure that my family would rather order out for pizza, these are a great substitute in a pinch. I have never heard a complaint when offering these for lunch or a snack, and I know that this is something that will get eaten. I like that I can buy a few when they go on sale and have them available whenever we need something in a hurry.

One pocket is considered a serving, and contains 340 calories, 16g fat, 39g carbs, 690mg sodium and 9g of protein. This amount is pretty high, but if you are like most people I know, one of these pockets is not going to fill you up. Most people will want to eat both of the Hot Pockets in the package, doubling the calories to a whopping 680 for this meal. Granted, these are low in cholesterol, and they do contain some calcium, iron and vitamins, but not enough to justify consuming something with such a high calorie count on a regular basis.

Even so, they are enjoyable as an occasional meal, as long as you keep the nutrition information in mind and don't consume large quantities, or eat them as a regular diet if you are at all concerned about your weight. Because ingredients and nutrition information change often, please see packaging for current information.