Hudson's On the Mile Reviews

Jul 26, 2013

• Food and Presentation:
  • Ambiance and Decor:
  • Quality of Service:

Pros:Fine summer atmosphere
indoor and outdoor dining
good values, outrageous Lobster special!

Cons:Nothing to note

The Bottom Line: Hudson's On the the Mile is my new favorite restaurant on Freeport's-Nautical-Mile. The food is delicious and of good portion at a fair price. Their lobster special Tuesday nights can't-be-beat!

After Hurricane Sandy we lost a few restaurants on Freeport's Nautical Mile that will never be open for business again. A few new eateries have sprung up. One establishment came under new ownership and changed its name ever so slightly. What was Hudson and McCoys is now Hudson's on the Mile.

We have been there a few times now always liking what we order and the service provided.

Hudson's On the Mile

Hudson's On the Mile sets up its kitchen and bar in a multi-level structure across the street from the canal. Though a bit away, there are no buildings between it and the canal so I get to enjoy seeing large fishing and pleasure boats making the way in and out of port. I like that.

Inside the multi-split-levels (I believe three, perhaps four) are open to looking up and down at each plane including the inside bar. The decor is sleek, having a modern look.

Hudson's also has many tables outside. That's what we like on a nice summer's day. The building blocks any harsh late-in-the-day sun. There are umbrellas too. A huge covered outside bar brings in crowds on weekends. $2.00 drafts at special times bring in others too.

This is now owned by the same people who run the Maliblue Oyster Bar in Long Beach and The Coral House in Baldwin. My wife and I have been to both within the last year and both are run well with well prepared foods.

Hudson's is known for Seafood, Sushi and Steaks. After three visits this spring and summer I still haven't tried a steak but the seafood and sushi is excellent.  Every Night They offer different specials on the food menu and also with drinks. Weekends bring a live band playing outside. It can get very lively with the crowds, lights, and music that stretch the seams of this already large restaurant complex.

Our Experience

I like that Hudson's on The Mile has its own parking lot just north of the building. If its filled there's another large lot just south but its a private lot trying to collect a fee.

The first time dining we sat upstairs looking down over the bar. I liked the area and the feel. We tried a few different offerings including seafood and sushi. I don't recall the dinners we had but we were quite pleased and knew we would return again soon...and that we did.

The server our first night was excellent! In fact each time she saw us afterward, even if not in her section, came over to say hello. I just don't recall the gal's name but will enter it next time we go. She deserves kudos!
Also, just recalling. She was asked to take care of a our table one night when things were pretty busy. After dinner I ordered my traditional Zambuca. Always liked that after lobster. It came via someone else without coffee beans. I told our gal and she first tried the inside bar where it came from, they said they were out. She then ran out to the outside bar and made the guy search the place till they found them for me, and they did. THAT's good service!

I'll also mention that the bus crew is well trained. Soon after being seated water and bread is paced on the table. They have also kept a keen eye on my ever-drained water glass. I like that!

Our next two visits  we sat outside with views of palm trees and the canal. We could also listen to the live music coming from the band we could see across the street. I liked that too!  I also enjoy people watching and the outside tables are perfect for that as so many people stroll a stretch of the canal when they come down.

We returned on a Tuesday night to try their lobster special. It was incredible!! We were served bread and salad and then the 1 1/2 hard shell lobster was set on the table with bibs, nut crackers, pics and handi-wipes. On the dish crowding the lobster were delicious roasted potatoes and an ear of sweet corn. All for $17.50!!  Ya just can't beat that.

Two weeks later we returned with our son and did it all over again!  He loved the lobster feast and I believe he enjoyed the whole "Mile" experience because he came back down the next weekend, from Huntington, with a group of friends.

I like Hudson's because you get what you pay for and get it on real dishes and no skimping. Our favorite restaurant Rachele's that is also on the strip has gotten too pricey and smaller portions. I'm saddened by their new deals. I still recommend them but just know... Also, the place Bracco's across the street the place looks cool and has a great view, but for me, it's not the same value you get at Hudson's On the Mile. Everything is paper plates and smaller portions.

Right now for me Hudson's On the Mile is the best place for good food and dining experience on the canal. Of course the lobster special is amazing! The wait staff is good and the chef excellent. During the winter this is one of the establishments "on the mile" that stays open.

That said though, it's in warm weather that ya can't beat the feel of sitting outside on a summer's night, looking at palm trees, listening to music, feeling cool breezes and enjoying a perfectly prepared, well portioned and fine looking presentation of a dinner at Hudson's On the Mile.

I'm getting hungry!!

FREEPORT'S Nautical Mile...So Much Happening!!

Best Suited For: Trendy Crowd

Hudson's Bay [dvd New]

Hudson's Bay [dvd New]

This sweeping drama chronicles the foundation a Canadian institution: the Hudson's Bay Trading Company. Set in the 17th century when the fur trade was...

CafePress Let's Talk Hudsons White T-Shirt

CafePress Let's Talk Hudsons White T-Shirt

100% preshrunk cotton6.1 ozCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

Hudsons Bay Dvd Movie 1940

Hudsons Bay Dvd Movie 1940

Converse Jack Purcell Hudson's Bay Company Duck

Converse Jack Purcell Hudson's Bay Company Duck

Jack Purcell Hudson's Bay Company Duck by Converse. 100% authentic Converse merchandise.
CafePress Let's Talk Hudsons Women's Dark T-Shirt

CafePress Let's Talk Hudsons Women's Dark T-Shirt

100% cotton, Charcoal Grey is a 50% cotton/50% Poly Blend5.6 ozStandard FitCrewneck CollarMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

Never Used/size 7 1/2 Black Leather Gloves..hudson's Price Tag/orig Price $44.00

BLACK WOMEN'S LEATHER GLOVES SIZE 7 1/2 ORIGINAL TAGS ARE STILL ON THEM...ORIGINAL PRICE WAS $44.00 AND PURCHASED FROM J.L. HUDSON'S DEPARTMENT STORE ...

Ads by Google