Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500rtt

Heavy Duty Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT

Oct 20, 2006

Pros:A very well built rear tine, heavy duty, power drive forward and reverse rotor tiller.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: I would recommend this rotor tiller to anyone looking for a heavy duty, rear tine, power drive rotor tiller. It's worth the price.

Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT

I have been wanting a good rotor tiller for quite sometime. Now that I am retired I have the time to work on my yard. I have always liked a well kept yard with lots of grass. My wife and I also raise miniature longhair dachshunds. So this year I sectioned off our property so I could get a lawn going and keep the dachshunds off the new grass. After building lots of fences the next step was to get a quality rotor tiller. I have used Husqvarna products before and they are a good product. I ran a Husqvarna chainsaw for a season while working as a timber faller. I started out looking for a Troy-Bilt rear tine tiller. Troy-Bilt makes a very good rotor tiller. Then I ran across this Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT. I was not aware that Husqvarna made a tiller but I like their craftsmanship. So I gave this rotor tiller a good look and it is a very solid looking machine.

It also has the tines (tillers) in the rear. I have a bad arm and I am unable to run a front end tiller. They jerk and pull the user like no bodies business! So if you have bad hands, arms or shoulders the rear tine is the only way to go. It’s also self-propelled. So I was hoping that I could run this Husqvarna, even if just a few minutes at a time. Plus the ground I am working with is very hard. The Husqvarna also comes with a Honda motor. I have also worked around Honda motors on suction dredges and water pumps for high bankers. The Honda motors seem to be about the best mass produced small motor out there. They are very reliable and that goes along way with me. I have ran Briggs and Stratton as well as Honda and have had less problems with the Honda motors. So I am happy with the engine on the Husqvarna tiller.

I was curious to see how this Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT would do in my hard yard. It went through the hard packed dirt like it was warm butter. I was not able to do the job because of my arm. When the tiller hit’s a rock it jumps and I can’t deal with that. However my nephew made short work of my front, side and back yards. They were all rotor tilled in a days work. Since then I have planted Scott grass seed and it’s all coming up nicely. The yard looks like a million bucks and really sets off the house. We turned over about a thousand square feet of hard soil without a hitch. I will use my Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT once a year for planting a garden as well.

Features

» Power 5 hp Honda
» Transmission one forward, 1 forward engaged and one reverse
» Tire size, rear 13x5x6" Heavy duty
» Cultivating width 17"
» Seven depth adjustments up to seven inches deep
» Counter-rotating tines
» Sealed heavy duty transmission
» Gear / Chain Drive

Conclusion

I am more than happy with my new Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT. I have ran Sears, and Troy-Bilt rotor tillers in the past. I would say that this is the smoothest and most powerful rotor tiller that I have ever ran. I am also very happy with the cultivation. With most rotor tillers you have to go over the dirt at least twice to get the desired effect. My yard was rotor tilled just once, then raked and planted. The counter rotating tines really mixes the soil up well. The 17” wide tines makes short work of a large project as well. The power drive is a must for this heavy machine. Although the machine is heavy the power drive and large tread tires makes it easy work. You are able to run the rotor tiller forward or reverse with the power drive without the tines engaged. Then when the tines are engaged the forward power drive also kicks in. It’s handy having the reverse power drive.

I have mine set to the lowest level so it tills as deep as possible. The power is there no matter what depth you wish to churn your soil. The only problems that I had was hitting large rocks. When you hit a large rock with this much power and a gimpy arm it’s like hanging onto a rodeo buckin bull. My nephew got a few jolts but was able to handle it okay. The other problem I had was the weeds getting wound up very tight between the tines and side guards. I should have weed-eated and raked it all off before rotor tilling. Live and learn. This rotor tiller also comes with several safety features. It has a rear guard as well as adjustable side guards so you don’t get a foot in the tines. It also has the safety handle so if you let go for any reason the tines disengage. It’s also good on fuel. We ran it all day on two tanks of gas (one gallon). The rotor tiller is also balanced real well. It has a large weight attached to the front. This places all of the weight on the tires and tines. As it is self propelled all you have to do is steer and hang on. Overall I am very happy with the Husqvarna Roto Tiller 500-RTT. I would recommend this rotor tiller to anyone looking for a quality tiller. I suspect with the proper maintenance this rotor tiller will last for a good twenty years.

Related Reviews

Poulan 40 cc Chainsaw

Thanks for the read,
© 2006 Joe McMaster

MTD Roto-Tiller Air Filter Replacement Tiller Air Cleaner Assembly 951-10794, 751-10794

Roto Tiller Tines For Mtd Complete Set With Hardware 742-0105 742-0106

Roto Tiller Tines For Mtd Complete Set With Hardware 742-0105 742-0106

New high quality replacement Roto Tiller Tines and all hardware for MTD rotary tillers and other brands. This is exact OEM specification size, set inc...

Roto Tiller Tines For Roper Complete Set With Hardware 4459j 4460j 6554j

Roto Tiller Tines For Roper Complete Set With Hardware 4459j 4460j 6554j

New high quality replacement Roto Tiller Tines and all hardware for Roper rotary tillers and other brands. This is exact OEM specification size, set i...

Husqvarna Rear Tine Tiller - 14 Inch Tilling Width, 208cc Briggs & Stratton Engine, Model CRT900-CA

This Husqvarna Rear Tine Tiller is ideal for homeowners preparing large flowerbeds and vegetable gardens. Its 12in. dia. counter-rotating tines allow ...
Northern Tool
Honda Fg100 Fg 100 Rototiller Tine Wheel Set Of 4 Tine Wheels Roto Tiller

Honda Fg100 Fg 100 Rototiller Tine Wheel Set Of 4 Tine Wheels Roto Tiller

HONDA FG110 TINE WHEEL SET This listing is for a brand new set of four factory tine wheels for Honda FG100 rototillers. The kit includes all four tine...

Roto-Tiller Air Filter Replacement Tiller Air Cleaner Assembly for Yard Machines

Husqvarna Drt900h (17) 160cc Honda Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller

Husqvarna Drt900h (17) 160cc Honda Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller

About Us Shipping Returns Contact Us Faq's All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Husqvarna DRT900H (1...

Crt900 Rear Tine Garden Tiller By Husqvarna Outdoor

Crt900 Rear Tine Garden Tiller By Husqvarna Outdoor

Rear Tine Tiller: Tiller Garden Rear Tine Weedeater
Simplicity Rear Tine Roto Tiller Rt9016 1695923

Simplicity Rear Tine Roto Tiller Rt9016 1695923

SquareTrade AP6.0 NO sales tax if purchased out of illinois!!!! BRAND NEW IN FACTORY CARTON!!!!! RT9016 Tiller - 1695923 **Free Shipping** TO LOWER ...

Husqvarna Drt900h 17-inch 160cc Honda Gcv160 Rear Tine Dual Rotating Tiller (car

- Brand NEW items - FREE standard shipping - Easy returns NEW Husqvarna DRT900H 17-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Rear Tine Dual Rotating Tiller (CARB Compli...