Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food (Iams) Reviews

Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food (Iams)

+$5.99 shipping PetSolutions
+$5.99 shipping PetSolutions

A win-win for Candy and the twins!

Jan 21, 2013

Pros:A moderately priced decent food that all three cats love.

Cons:Not the highest quality of cat food.

The Bottom Line: Want a better cat food than the cheap junk? Try this. It isn't top-notch but it isn't horrible either. We will buy again!

It’s a battle.

We (Mommy and Daddy) want a high quality wet food. They (our three feline children- Candy, Darcy, and Daisy) want gravy covered junk food. Complicating the controversy is the fact that Daisy refuses to eat anything but Friskies. Another concern is cost. Daddy and I are committed to giving our babies the best we can but our budget is tight. Another worry we have is limiting grains in their wet food due to Darcy’s urinary tract issues.

Due to monetary considerations and scheduling difficulties, we have permitted the cat kids to eat different flavors of Friskies Savory Shreds. However, one of the worst consequences of this food is that their stools are way too loose. We knew we had to get them back on the good bur more expensive stuff – even though Daisy wouldn’t eat it. Unfortunately, that meant a special trip to a PetValu for the assorted better wet foods the other two liked. Our calendar and wallet were a little tight for this option.

Petsmart is about two miles down the road from us. With Home Depot, the post office, and Sheetz also right there it fit into our task list. While picking up the Innova Prime for the dog and cats, an Innova representative spotted us. We started talking. She suggested Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food. It isn’t grain free but the ingredients and nutritional info appeared to be moderately decent. Here it is from the Iams website:

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Meat By-Products, Chicken By-Products, Natural Flavors, Corn Starch, Dried Beet Pulp, Guar Gum, Flax Meal, Carrots, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide) Titanium Dioxide, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of vitamin K3), Fructooligosaccharides, Broccoli, Taurine, Spinach.

Crude Protein, minimum 8.0
Magnesium, maximum 0.022
Taurine, minimum 0.05
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum                0.8*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum                0.1*
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles. Iams Filets with Chicken in Gravy is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for Maintenance.

Notice that the magnesium is low. This is important for Darcy. Although there is corn starch, there is no wheat or soy as in the Friskies. At first glance, it appears the Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food is at least somewhat healthier than the Savory Shreds. But would the cats like it?

Not only do all three scarf down this food; Daisy stole her brother’s bowl this morning! (Darcy’s stunned expression was hysterical. I tried to warn him about Karma when he snitched her food before.) Personally, I didn’t think the morsels smell like chicken but they don’t stink. Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food isn’t precisely appetizing looking either but not repulsive. The tan colored, squared, mini meaty bits are approximately a little less than a quarter of an inch in size and are almost swimming in a similar hued sauce.

Our feline trio has eaten the Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food for only a few days now. They go through about a can and a half a day. The girls get a bit of dry kibbles to supplement their diet but Darcy doesn’t. In this short amount of time we have noticed that the stools appear to be a little firmer than on just the Friskies but not as solid as when eating the better food. The litter boxes don’t seem quite as smelly either. Further observation will be needed on this and I will update my review later.

The Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food we purchased at Petsmart was on sale for eighty cents. The 5.5oz can regularly retails for about a dollar. We spotted a couple more flavors in the fillet version to try. (One of our cats’ requirements is that the wet food not be pate.) I think Petco and other brick and mortar pet stores carry this food as well as assorted online stores like Amazon.

Iams ProActive Health Adult Filets with Chicken in Gravy Canned Cat Food is made in the USA. Iams is part of the Proctor & Gamble brand that includes Innova, Evo, and other Natura Pet Products. We like that the food is made here but the cats don’t care. They are just eager to eat this wet food and that makes mommy and daddy happy.

I think we have reached a good compromise in our on-going wet food skirmish. They got tasty, sauce laden, diced meat. We got a middle of the road quality food that also fell in the median range of what we were spending per can of cat food. Guess that is a “purr-fect” agreement.

Iams Canned Cat Food is a healthy, delicious recipe with added vitamins and minerals that offers your cat the taste of a homemade meal with complete n...
PetSolutions