Icy Hot Arthritis Therapy Gel

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Refresh My Memory-What Is IcyHot Arthritis Therapy Gel Supposed To Do?

Apr 21, 2002 (Updated Dec 2, 2002)

Pros:Has both cooling and hot therapy relief, easily available

Cons:Not real effective; dislike burning, better products available

The Bottom Line: IcyHot is touted for being effective for pain relief, providing cold and hot therapy. I did not find it effective for my needs. There are much better products out there.

Let me give you a little history. Many years ago I was in a serious car accident, and sustained a severe whiplash injury. I received treatment, and after a few years the problems seemed to dissipate, with the exception of damp/cold weather, at which time I would experience tenderness in the neck and upper back area. Once you have an injury however, the slightest re-injury to the same areas can bring you back to square one, and in fact be exacerbated. This is what has happened to me about three times now, and each time I require treatment.

The last year and a half or so, I have once again been having problems with my neck and back. I augment my prescription medications with topical applications to try and alleviate the pain/tenderness/stiffness. I have been undergoing a very intensive program through an orthopaedic surgeon, including acupuncture and traction, and had my first epidural injection a few days ago under a general anaesthetic. Time will tell as to whether or not it was effective. I definitely don’t want to undergo surgery unless I am desperate.

Packaging:

I purchased a box of IcyHot weighing in at 1.25 ounces and paid around $6.00. It says Icy in blue, and Hot in orange. This is in the Extra Strength version, and is easily available. The tube inside states it is icy to dull the pain, and hot to relax it away.

Scent:

The IcyHot cream has a pleasant minty fragrance that is quite appealing.

Product Claims:

Begins to work on contact to bring fast pain relief.
Goes on icy to dull the pain

Activates to hot for a penetrating warmth to relax the pain away

Product Indications per packaging:

For temporary relief of minor arthritis pain, sore muscles, bursitis, tendonitis, simple backache, strains, sprains, bruises and cramps

Directions For Use per packaging:

Apply generously to painful muscles and joints, gently massage until IcyHot disappears. Repeat as necessary for temporary relief.

My Experience With IcyHot:

I applied IcyHot as directed to see if it would work for me. I very much disliked the burning feeling I initially felt upon application, and even when it became cold, it was not as cold and soothing as another product I have been using. The length of time it worked was approximately two hours. I did enjoy the scent however.

What I Like About IcyHot:

It is easily available and relatively inexpensive. As it is over the counter, it is most likely not as strong as the other product I received from a physician. Of course that has its good and bad points.

What I Didn’t Care For:

I hated the burning feeling of the gel and their cream. I did not find it warm or hot, but it burned, and it was unpleasant to me.

Ingredients from the packaging:
Carbomer, cetyl esters, phosphate, emulsifying wax, oleth-3,stearic acid, triethanolamine, water

Distributed by Chattem

Final Thoughts On IcyHot:

If you do not like taking continuous medication, and have a need for pain relief, I recommend you give IcyHot a try. I find cryotherapy is the most effective method of pain relief outside of a medical practitioner's office. IcyHot e felt like it was burning me initially, then gradually became cool. It has a nice light minty scent.

By the way, they do advise people with sensitive skin to be cautious. I have sensitive skin, and usually have difficulties with topical products containing alcohol. This product did not create any allergic problems for me. I give IcyHot two and a half stars for effectiveness. Once I have completed the container of IcyHot, I do not plan on purchasing it again. However, everyone is different, so you may wish to give IcyHot a try to see if it works for you. My preference is a product called Biofreeze. I shall review that product/their website shortly.

Warnings:

I am not a medical practitioner. Please check with your doctor before taking type of new medication, or use of a topical application. If irritation occurs, cease use immediately. Read all warnings on both packages.

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to email me with any questions.

Suzi

Icy Hot Arthritis Pain Relief Lotion, 5.5 oz

Icy Hot Arthritis Pain Relief Lotion, 5.5 oz

If you are looking for relief from aches and pains, Icy Hot Arthritis Pain Relief Lotion may be the solution for you. Icy Hot Pain Relief Lotion, 5.5 ...

Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Therapy Sealed Ship Fast

Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Therapy Sealed Ship Fast

benfu_123 Store Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Therapy New In Box Up for auction is a NEW, SEALED Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back ...

Icy Hot Icy Hot Gel - Vanishing Scent 2.5 oz Gel

Icy Hot Icy Hot Gel - Vanishing Scent 2.5 oz Gel

Icy Hot Gel - Vanishing Scent 2.5 oz Gel - Icy Hot Gel is an effective no-mess, pain relieving formula with a scent that vanishes in minutes. This spo...
Swanson Health Products

Icy Hot Smart Relief TENS Therapy Back Pain Starter Kit

Icy Hot Smart Relief TENS Therapy Back Pain Starter Kit

Find painkillers and muscle treatments at Target.com! Tens (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) therapy has been used by doctors and physical...

American Drug Supply Store
Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Therapy

Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Therapy

save money, live happier! ITEM DESCRIPTION INFORMATION: Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Therapy NEW : POWERFUL, PORTABLE PAIN RELIEF.RELIV...

1.75 oz, Icy Hot Power Gel

1.75 oz, Icy Hot Power Gel

Temporarily relieves minor pain associated with: arthritis, simple backache, muscle strains, sprains, bruises, cramps. No mess pain relief.
Icy Hot Vanishing Gel, 2.5-ounce Tubes (3 Pack)

Icy Hot Vanishing Gel, 2.5-ounce Tubes (3 Pack)

Icy Hot Vanishing Gel, 2.5-Ounce Tubes (3 Pack)

Icy Hot Arthritis Pain Relief Lotion - 5.5 Oz