Insignia NS-LCD22-09 LCD TV

Insignia NS-LCD22-09 LCD HDTV

Nov 23, 2008

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:It is a good buy for the money

Cons:Imperfections is lower quality TV signals are easy to see when viewed from close range.

The Bottom Line: For $300 it is probably the best TV/monitor you will find on the market.

Try to look up the features on any LCD TV and they are difficult to find, assuming they exist. The more advanced features are seldom listed on any TV. TV guide programming information is broadcast on cable and terrestrial signals. I could not find any smaller TV capable of displaying the TV guide information.  Both of my larger TVs have that feature. So the evaluation of smaller LCD TVs is a difficult task and you don’t know what you will get for your money. Thank goodness for Epinions.com.

The NS-LCD22-09 has an attractive bezel that does not take up excessive room. The stand is shallow so the TV does not sit high in the air. The stand will tilt 10 degrees backward which is not much. I prefer 22.5 degrees of rear tilt. The stand can easily be removed if you want to create your own stand. It also has the mounting locations on the back for a wall mount bracket. The speakers are in the bottom of the frame so a cradle mount device is not possible.

The NTSC analogue tuner is of little value with those channels being discontinued. The ATSC digital tuner works ok but as others say, it is slow between channels. For men with a serious channel surfing problem this might be good.

Sound would probably have a better stereo effect if the speakers were mounted on each side but I prefer the appearance of the bottom mounted speakers.  The internal speakers are ok but they are not going to blast you out of the room. The TV has an SPDIF output for serious audio people who want to feed that audio signal into a later model receiver with the SPDIF digital input. I like to watch the TV with the sound coming out of the better computer speakers. There is no audio line output in case you want to send the audio signal to a computer input jack. However, you can use the headphone jack output to the computer line input. It is not perfect impedance matching but today’s computer audio cards are very tolerant and flexible with impedance matching. When you plug a mini phono plug into the headphone jack it will automatically turn off the TV’s internal speakers. Overall the internal speakers sound good. They would suffice for a small room and general purpose TV watching.

It has the VGA input but no DVI input. The VGA input is sufficient for normal computer display. It has the regular component video input with the related left and right audio inputs. It also has the 3 composite video inputs with the related audio inputs. The HDMI input is convenient if you need it. Then there is the S-video. You can have all these 6 inputs connected at the same time and switch amongst them with the remote control. I have not connected a DVD player to watch movies so that review will be left for someone else.

I am using the TV with a roof top antenna and receiving terrestrial signals. It is free and it is more TV than I have time for. The TV also serves as a 2nd monitor on a 2nd computer when I need to multitask. It works ok as a computer monitor but only has a limited number of resolution settings.  1680x1050 is my present resolution and it is great. The other resolutions it can do are 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480. Other resolutions will not be recognized.

The remote control has 4 input control buttons for Video, Comp, HDMI and TV. It would be nice if “comp” was for computer but it is for component. There is no single button for the VGA computer input and I have to hit the “input” button and scroll down to VGA.

The controls on the remote work and I find no problems. The sleep function in conjunction with the efficient standby mode is great. The power consumption is 80 watts and only 1 watt in standby mode.

The shipping box advertizes a 22” screen. It is 21.5” according to my measurements but if you look closely on the box it says 21.6 inches. This is cheating and tempts me to lower the rating of the product to 4 stars. The other TVs I checked in the stores measured 22” with a few at 21 7/8”.

The screen has a size ratio of 16:10. The TV standard is 16:9. The reason for this is because it is also a computer monitor. A computer resolution of 1680 x 1050 is a ratio of 16:10 if you want to do the calculations. It is better to have a small black border on the top of your TV image than to have a portion of your computer screen missing at the top and bottom. Insignia also makes a computer monitor with the exact same dimensions and I guess using the same screen for both reduces design costs.  So the 16:10 ratio is essential for a product that serves two purposes.

I compared the picture quality to my Panasonic 52” plasma TV and the Insignia 22” TV is not quite as good. Is this a fair comparison? The Panasonic has a resolution of 1080p and costs about $3000. The Insignia is 720p and costs $300. Comparing this TV with all the other 22” TVs at the store reveals an equal picture except for the ½” reduced size. I’m viewing this monitor next to a 22” LG Flatron Wide LCD, which is actually 22”, and the size difference is only slightly noticeable. The picture quality is comparable. The Insignia has plenty of brightness.

I am also using the monitor for computer work so viewing the TV broadcast from 37” makes for a critical evaluation. When a very high quality HD signal arrives you realize the TV can do a great job. When the TV broadcast signal is of lesser quality you see the imperfections. The 4:3 format pictures often look bad and I think it is simply an inferior broadcast signal. The TV does not have the special filters that smooth out an imperfect picture signal. I guess the sharpness can be decreased.

Overall I find no 22” TV on the market that can compete with the Insignia NS-LCD22-09 for $300. If you want to spend another $50 I think the Samsung T220HD for $350 at Costco is worth looking at. The Samsung is higher quality in a few noticeable areas but I don’t have a complete evaluation of the product.  This review is written on November 20, 2008 and things can change quickly.  You won’t see much picture quality difference unless you go to Blue Ray but the features in most TVs leave room for improvement.

CURTIS ProScan PLED2243A 22 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p (PLED2243A)

CURTIS ProScan PLED2243A 22 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p (PLED2243A)

ProScan PLED2243A 22 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p MPN: PLED2243A
Brand New ProScan PLED2243A 22 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p

Brand New ProScan PLED2243A 22 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p

ProScan PLED2243A 22 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p
22 Led Lcd Full Hdtv 1080p Tv/television 12v Cord Operated Ac/dc Car/rv/boat

22 Led Lcd Full Hdtv 1080p Tv/television 12v Cord Operated Ac/dc Car/rv/boat

etronicspro Store Naxa NT-2202 22 Widescreen Full 1080P HD LED Television with Built-In Digital TV Tuner Condition: New Description:* 22 Widescreen HD...

Newegg.com

Viewsonic Professional VT2216-L 22in. 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p

Viewsonic Professional VT2216-L 22in. 1080p LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV 1080p

The ViewSonic VT2216-L is a 22ft.' (21.5ft.' viewable) professional monitor with edge white LED technology, and a built-in ATSC/NTSC/QAM HDTV tuner id...
Office Depot

Philips 55Pfl3907 - 55 Lcd Tv - 1080P (Fullhd)

Philips 55Pfl3907 - 55 Lcd Tv - 1080P (Fullhd)

GeneralProduct TypeLCD TVPower Consumption Operational297 WattDiagonal Size55 Class ( 54.64 viewable )Diagonal Size (cm)140 cm ( 138.8 cm viewable )Se...

Brand New LG 22LY340C 22 LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV

Brand New LG 22LY340C 22 LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV

LG 22LY340C 22 LED-LCD TV - 16:9 - HDTV
Hd 720p Supersonic 19 Led Lcd Tv Television Sc-1912

Hd 720p Supersonic 19 Led Lcd Tv Television Sc-1912

This Supersonic 19-inch TV proves to be an energy efficient LCD TV with very less power consumption. A built-in DVD player and an ATSC Digital Tuner a...

Newegg.com