Inspector Hector Plaque Detector Pre Brush Rinse For Kids

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Inspector Hector~~Are My Teeth Blue?

Mar 25, 2008 (Updated Mar 25, 2008)

Pros:Dispenses only the proper amount of product for use.
Secret Blue Bubble Gum tastes good.

Cons:Could possibly stain clothing.

The Bottom Line: Inspector Hector Plaque Detector can be a valuable tool in fighting a bad tooth problem. I can definitely see it used weekly.

The other day, I was sitting in my office (That’s what I call it, I even have an “office” sign over the door) when Kathy came in and handed me a box which had just been delivered. Seeing the package was from Fleishman Hillard, I knew it was the Inspector Hector dental care products I was expecting.

What did I get in this package:
A 16.9 oz. bottle of Inspector Hector Plaque Detector, and a 16.9 oz. bottle of Inspector Hector Tooth Protector. This review is on the Plaque Detector and another will be on the Tooth Protector.

Just the facts:
According to the Surgeon General, oral disease and tooth decay are the biggest threat to children’s health. Inspector Hector is marketed for children aged 6-12, because in most cases, this is when they will be losing their child teeth and their permanent teeth will come in.

I will admit here that as a teenager, I did not take the care with my teeth that I should have, and as an adult developed a problem with plaque on my teeth. I’ve had my teeth cleaned by dentists and plaque has created gaps between some of my teeth. When the opportunity arose to receive this product in exchange for my honest and unbiased review, I took it. The children in my wife’s daycare are still in their baby teeth, and I don’t think they really need to worry yet. (We do, however talk to them about proper brushing sometimes) I decided I would use it for MYSELF! I asked the kids if they wanted to watch me turn my teeth blue (I knew that would get their attention). They all jumped at the idea, I had them all follow me to the basin where I was gonna use the Inspector Hector Plaque Detector.

About the bottle
It’s soft plastic (so it can be squeezed) It’s unique shape is such that it has it’s own measuring cup attached. It has a fill line at 10mL (milliliters), the amount recommended. Inspector Hector Plaque Detector is a deep blue color, and comes in two flavors (Secret Blue Bubble Gum and Secret Blue Mint). I received the Secret Blue Bubble Gum, it tastes great, but I have yet to blow a proper bubble.

It’s part of a three step process to good oral care: A pre brush rinse.

Following the instructions
“Adults and children 6 years of age and older: To disclose plaque, use daily your teeth with a toothpaste.”
**I don’t think the Inspector Hector Plaque Detector really needs to be used daily. It shows you where the plaque is, and those are the areas to concentrate on. I think at least weekly would be a good practice.

1.“Remove cap and hold bottle upright, fill to 10mL by squeezing the bottle.”
**This instruction indicates that if you overfill you should wait till the excess drains back into the bottle. As an engineer, I just HAD to check this out! I purposely overfilled the top of the bottle and set it down. After a very short wait, I was impressed that the bottle actually did as it said, and drained down to the 10mL fill line.

2. “Rinse with approximately 10mL for 30 seconds, and spit out. Do Not swallow the rinse.”
**Along with the product, I received a Q&A sheet. One of the questions, “What of my child swallows Inspector Hector products?” is answered this way. “The child friendly bottles are tamper proof and only dispense enough for one use-10mL per squeeze. If more than the recommended amount used for rinsing (10mL) is swallowed, seek help from a medical professional or Poison Control Center.” My observation is: once opened, the cap is pretty easily removed, and the bottle is soft enough for anybody to squeeze. That being said, I would not allow a child to use this unsupervised.

3. “Look for the blue tint on your teeth and while brushing with toothpaste pay special attention to brush it away”
**Before brushing my teeth, I turned to the kids so they could see my blue teeth. Laughter and a couple “ewww’s” ensued. I brushed my teeth, and rinsed my mouth with water, and the blue was gone.

4. “Use Inspector Hector Tooth Protector once a day to help fight tooth decay.”
**This is the second product that came in my package and I could see using this one daily. More about this product in a follow up review.

Ingredients
Water, sorbitol solution, glycerin, flavors, sodium citrate, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium benzoate, poloxamer 407, sucralose, citric acid, FD&C Blue #1.
**Inspector Hector products are alcohol free, and the shelf life is two years. On the Q&A sheet, it says blue tint on household surfaces or fabrics that may occur are usually removable with just water, but may require soap or detergent on fabrics.
**Another reason why children should not use the product unsupervised.

Where you can get Inspector Hector products
Inspector Hector products may be found at Wal-Mart stores and other major grocery and retail stores around the country, and are priced in the range of $2.99-$3.99.

Do I recommend this product?
Most of the reviews I have read so far say “no”, but I will go out on a limb and give it a qualified “yes”
**As stated earlier in this review, I would NOT use it daily, but as someone who has lived with a plaque problem: I find that it is a valuable tool in helping fight the problem and say that it should be used at least once a week.

This product is distributed by Vi-Jon, a St. Louis based business that has been creating health and beauty care products since 1912. I thank the Vi-Jon Company and Fleishman Hillard for sending me this product in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

I thank you also for reading and rating my review.

inspector 2 In 1 Electronic Uv Leak Detector Msc5520

inspector 2 In 1 Electronic Uv Leak Detector Msc5520

Inspector 2 in 1 Electronic UV Leak Detector MSC5520 International Buyers: All electric tools and cordless tool chargers are standard USA voltage (120...

V1 Valentine One Radar Detector Remote Hard Mount

V1 Valentine One Radar Detector Remote Hard Mount

With the Valentine One radar detector, you can enjoy thrilling speed and know just when to slow down. Featuring multiple antennas, this V1 radar detec...

Escort Redline Radar Detector

Introducing RedLine - the baddest detector on the road. Our team of engineers has created the most sensitive radar/laser detector period. RedLine prov...

Hector Saxe Carbon Linen/Felt Backgammon Set - Grey

Hector Saxe Carbon Linen/Felt Backgammon Set - Grey

Usually found in the kind of shops you need to ring a buzzer to get into, this luxury backgammon board is another masterclass in craftsmanship by Hect...
GammonVillage

Escort Redline Radar Detector

completely invisible to all detectors including VG-2 and Spectre,twin antennas for extra-long detection range,digital voice alerts and audio tones for...
Crutchfield

Escort RedLine Radar Detector Multicolor - 0100006-2

Escort RedLine Radar Detector Multicolor - 0100006-2

Shop for Car Radar Detectors from Hayneedle.com! The Escort RedLine Radar Detector is bad - as in, the baddest radar detector to hit the road in years...
Hayneedle

Escort Solo S3 Windshield Radar Detector

Escort Solo S3 Windshield Radar Detector

Street smart. Consuming less power than traditional corded detectors, the Solo S3 radar detector helps keep drivers in the know with a windshield-frie...
QVC

Escort - Solo S3, Radar Detectors & Accessories

Escort - Solo S3, Radar Detectors & Accessories

Cordless Radar and Laser Detector w/ Scanning Frequency Discriminator and Digital Signal Processing
Sonic Electronix

Nintendo Nes - Starship Hector Game Complete Sealed H-seam Hudson Soft

Nintendo Nes - Starship Hector Game Complete Sealed H-seam Hudson Soft

A shooting game with vertically and side-scrolling levels. Fire laser bolts and bombs to destroy the enemy forces.