Iomega EGo 2 TB,External,5400 RPM (34796) Hard Drive Reviews

Iomega EGo 2 TB,External,5400 RPM (34796) Hard Drive

An Excellent External Hard Drive for a Mac!

May 19, 2011 (Updated May 19, 2011)

Pros:Good capacity and speedy data transfer in a cool, quiet, attractive enclosure, all cables included.

Cons:Perhaps, the price but it's hard to quibble over such a great package.

The Bottom Line: Serious storage capacity in a fast, cool (speed and looks), external hard drive, formatted, HFS(plus), for Mac computers!

What does one desire from an external hard drive?

First, must be reliability.

However, reliability, or the lack of it, does not become apparent until the drive fails—or it continues to serve faithfully, as years go by.

In my thirty years of using micro-computers (that's what they used to be called), I've experienced only one fatal hard drive failure (among a slew of hard drive challenges), but, even the data from the fatally flawed drive, which would not mount, was readily recovered.

Nonetheless, it's something I hope to never have to experience again.

If reliability of a drive cannot be reliably ascertained, then other factors take on primary importance: capacity, price, speed, heat, noise, connections, aesthetics.

I found an unassuming, black drive, on-line, for only ninety dollars ($89.95) with a USB 2.0 connection. As I was in a money saving mood, I almost went for it.

However, I decided to look for a drive with a faster connection than USB 2.0.

The drive I settled on is the Iomega eGo 2 TB, USB 2.0, FireWire 800 Desktop External Mac Edition.

The drive is formatted in HFS+ for Mac computers but can be reformatted for Windows computers. However, as Iomega has similar drives formatted for Windows (USB 2.0; USB 3.0), I would recommend that a Windows user would consider those drives first. (The Windows formatted drives are either blue, black or charcoal; all are lower priced.)

Measuring 7.3x5.0x1.6 inches, and weighing 2.2 pounds, the drive in its attractive silver, aluminum enclosure, can be mounted horizontally or vertically. It has one USB port and two FireWire 800 ports. Best of all, it comes with all necessary cables: USB 2.0, FireWire 800/400, and Firewire 800/800. The cables are white—pretty cool! Additionally, bonus software (Iomega Protection Suite, Trend Micro Smart Surfing for Mac) is available via download. Also one is offered up to 2 gigabytes of free data storage on a remote server for one year. Registering the drive entitles you to a three year limited warranty.

When the drive arrived, I plugged it into my iMac. Immediately, Time Machine (Apple's backup software) opened and gave me the option to backup the entire internal drive. It was evening, so I went to bed. When I got up, about five hours later, the entire internal drive had been backed up—some 560 gigabytes.

The back of the drive enclosure has the connections to the FireWire 800 (2) ports, the USB 2.0 port, the receptacle for the power cord and a push on, push off power switch. There is a blue activity light  situated toward the back of the enclosure.

True, the Iomega drive cost me 75% more than the less expensive drive with only a USB port would have but, I feel I made a good decision. The 800/800 Firewire connection transfers data quickly. The drive runs silently and remains cool to the touch. Of the half-dozen external drives that I have connected to my iMac, it's, arguably, the most attractive. I am, quite confident, that the Iomega eGo drive will serve me well till I upgrade to a 5 TB drive…no, make that a 10 TB drive (and…make it solid state)!

Iomega 2tb Prestige Dt Hd Usb 3.0 (35182)

Iomega 2tb Prestige Dt Hd Usb 3.0 (35182)

Iomega 2TB PRESTIGE DT HD USB 3.0 (35182)
A Matter Of Fax

Iomega 34629 500gb External Portable Hard Drive (2.5, 5400rpm, Red, Retail)

Iomega 34629 500gb External Portable Hard Drive (2.5, 5400rpm, Red, Retail)

Backup your data with the Iomega eGo 500GB portable external hard drive. This Iomega hard drive has a speedy 5,400-rpm rotational speed, which boosts ...

Iomega 1 Tb,7200 Rpm (33748) External Hard Drive Pc Or Mac

Iomega 1 Tb,7200 Rpm (33748) External Hard Drive Pc Or Mac

Iomega 1 TB,7200 RPM (33748) External Hard Drive Brand New and Unused Guaranteed Working

iomega Prestige Desktop 1TB USB 3.0 3.5 External Hard Drive Black

iomega Prestige Desktop 1TB USB 3.0 3.5 External Hard Drive Black

Dimensions 7.41 x 4.88 x 1.24 Weight 2.23 lbs. Features Fast - Transfer files faster than ever before (requires USB 3.0 computer for best performance)...
Newegg.com

Iomega 32324 Zip 750MB External USB Drive

Iomega 32324 Zip 750MB External USB Drive

Features: Brand Name : Iomega Model : 32324 Hard Disk Size : 750.0 MB Hardware Platform : PC, Mac From the Manufacturer The fastest Zip drive--the Zip...
Iomega 320gb Ego Prtbl Hd Helium Usb 2.0 (34614)

Iomega 320gb Ego Prtbl Hd Helium Usb 2.0 (34614)

Iomega 320GB EGO PRTBL HD HELIUM USB 2.0 (34614)
A Matter Of Fax

G-technology G-drive 4 Tb 7200 Rpm Professional-strength External Hard Drive, Si

G-Technology G-DRIVE 4 TB 7200 RPM Professional-Strength External Hard Drive, Si Store About Us Shipping Policy Return Policy FAQs Contact Info G-Tech...

G-Technology G-DRIVE 4 TB External Hard Drive

G-Technology G-DRIVE 4 TB External Hard Drive

Professional External Hard DriveG-DRIVE - A high performance storage solution featuring screaming fast USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces. Available in s...
Office Depot

Lenovo - Iomega Ix4 8tb Network Storage

Lenovo - Iomega Ix4 8tb Network Storage

Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search Full Size Image Click to close full size. Click here to view full size. Lenovo - Iomega ix4 8TB Network Storage 1...

G-Technology G-DRIVE 4 TB External Hard Drive - USB 3.0, FireWire/i.LINK 800 - SATA - 7200 rpm - 64 MB Buffer - Silver

G-Technology G-DRIVE 4 TB External Hard Drive - USB 3.0, FireWire/i.LINK 800 - SATA - 7200 rpm - 64 MB Buffer - Sil...