Ive Mendes - The Brazilian Sade

Feb 21, 2012 (Updated Feb 21, 2012)

Pros:Ive Mendes has a beautiful sultry voice.  You'll fall in love with this Brazilian singer.

Cons:Many international artists like this are unheard of in the US and they should be.

The Bottom Line: Ive Mendes is a sultry Brazilian singer with an amazing voice. She is the Brazilian Sade.

I was listening to my Brazilian channel on Last.FM when a new voice appeared singing the old Chicago tune If You Leave Me Now.  I like Chicago, but their song today sounds a bit dated and sappy, especially after it was used for Petsmart advertising.  However, I was now hearing

If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me
Oh, oh, oh, oh, no, baby please don't go
And if you leave me now, you'll take away the very heart of me
Oh, oh, oh, oh, no, baby please don't go

in the most sultry sexy voice I had heard in a seductive Portuguese accent.   She started by speaking the words in Portuguese and then sang it in English with a gentle bossa nova beat. Peter Cetera never sang it quite like this!

Who is Ive Mendes?

I had discovered Ive Mendes, a woman described as the Brazilian Sade. She is Brazilian, and yes she is tall and lovely with an amazing voice.   I was soon downloading albums by Ive, this self titled album and a two CD album Magnetism.

Ive Mendes was born in Ceres Brazil, and she studied music, played the piano and sang in church. She played in the town she lived in but soon was discovered in Rio and then found herself working with Sade's producer and Ive moved to London.  This self titled album was released on the UK Bongo label and contains a lot of Ive Mendes singles.

Ive Mendes - the Album

This is a collection of 13 songs (although 2 of them are just remixes) released in 2003.  The back beat is a modern sounding update of bossa nova with a much more electric and polished sound than early bossa nova beats.  The star of the songs though is most definitely Ive Mendes beautiful voice. Although her voice is her own, it is easy to hear why she is described as a Brazilian Sade, her polished seductive sound is reminicent of Sade's smooth sound.   Aside from the Peter Cetera cover, one of my favorite songs is Natural High

She sings each verse like she is talking to a lover who doesn't fully appreciate who she is

I am more than you see, that's right
If life is so hard, it's beautiful too
Excuse me baby, I know exactly where you come from
You don't know me baby

The chorus is an affirmative

I'm on a Natural High
Come with me
I'm on a Natural High
I want to take you like this

The song embodies all that I love about Brazilian music.  Unlike a number of my favorite Brazilian singers, many of Ive Mendes songs are sung in English.   That is not to say that they don't have Portuguese verses in them, but she does sing in English too, and allows her UK and US fans to understand her music without going to Google Translator or learning Portuguese.

If you are not convinced, Night Night a song of seduction

Now I know what life is for
I want to live for pleasure, In peace beside you, somewhere
Special dinner by candlelight
To feel your body part of mine
You're guessing what I need
I'm giving you a wonderful time, we enjoy life
Night night, night inside your eyes
People are walking alone and I'm waiting for you, only you

The way she sings the song, you could almost picture her whispering the lyrics into your ear as she runs her hand along your leg.

Summary

I really love Ive Mendes' voice. She has great vocal range and a very sexy sound.  If you like soft seductive music or just want to relax, Ive Mendes will definitely make you dream of Brazilian beaches and sunsets.  Check her out for yourself on Youtube.

Other Brazilian Singers