JBL Studio L890 Floor Standing Speakers Reviews

Nov 3, 2007

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:-full rich sound -exceptional for home theater -unbeatable for high volume

Cons:-Big and Heavy

The Bottom Line: Exceptional for home theater.

My JBL L890s are hooked up to a Sony STR-DE998 which is a midrange receiver that I've had for over a year. It puts out 110 watts per channel. I have a 5.1 setup with the JBL LC2 center, JBL S-powered sub, and JBL S38IIs for rear speakers.

To get the best sense of the L890s by themselves I played some 2channel audio. They have great bass extension as well as crystal clear highs. I'm not sure that my receiver or other equipment is good enough for the full 40khz high frequencies but music feels full and natural with the current setup. I do not have the speakers bi-wired which is said to improve bass response slightly.

I primarily use the L890s for TV and home theater. The subwoofer is only necessary for the punch of explosions and the theater like vibrations. The L890s blend bass, midrange, and highs very well. The highs are extremely crisp which allows the L890s to do a great job of reproducing dialogue. The action moves across the soundstage without any perceptible transition from one speaker to another.

What impresses me most about the JBL L890s is their ability to play cleanly even at high volume. I do not pick up any distortion when I crank up music or movies. At extreme volumes the only distortions in sound come from my windows rattling.

I recommend the L890s to anyone looking for a solid set of main speakers. I further recommend that you pair your L890s with the LC2 center if you are going to be using these in a home theater. Matching surrounds or a sub really isn’t as important.

These are not a great value if you pay list price but I was able to get them online and shipped for about $800. At that price point they really are a better value than competing products.

Built for genuine entertainment enthusiasts, the L890 has a Polyplas woofer and FreeFlow port technology for extended, floor-rattling bass with low di...
JBL.com